Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
15 members (Theo Gallus, Jason D, Sunil, Shorthose, rjackson, Bobbss, John Folchetti, Lake8, JoshMI, LeighAnn, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer), 1,281 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow!! That is awesome on that little rod!! Some good video too!! Way to go guys great job!!

Congrats!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think my very old "Green Hornet #3" would have had a serious physical and mental breakdown under such conditions. Two pound test line on a cranky old reel, mounted to about a 24-inch green fiberglass rod from the early 60s. It works great with small bluegill and crappie

Dang, it is cold here. We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday. The good part is that it was really easy to plow because it was so darn cold. It only went down to 0 F degrees last night, but it has sure been windy. It has now made it all the way to +7 F, as of 1:00 PM. I have no idea of what the windchill might be.

It is too cold to go measure how much ice the ponds might have here. But, whatever they might be, I ain't going after any under-ice monsters.

It would be great if Cecil could get the job of mounting this thing -- and we could have an ice fishing article about it.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
B
That would be a good fight! This week has been awesome for me ice fishing also got 2 of my personal best 40in NP and a 13in YP! I let the pike go back and put the perch in my pond! Love ice fishing!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I had one given to me once by a Wisconsin taxidermist that was in the 40 lb. range. Eventually I pitched it because I needed freezer space, they are PITA to mount, and It being for myself I didn't think it was worth it. Never been that impressed by catfish.

The head is impossible to skin out so it has to be cast. All the fins have to be cast fins due to the grease. And the skin has to be soaked in a solvent to remove the grease.

I've done some really big channel cats for customers but they were paying me. LOL

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/22/14 07:27 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: benji havens
That would be a good fight! This week has been awesome for me ice fishing also got 2 of my personal best 40in NP and a 13in YP! I let the pike go back and put the perch in my pond! Love ice fishing!!

Good for you. I'll bet they can ice fish quite a ways south this year, but most likely the locals probably don't even want to try it. LOL We have some strip pits in central and southern Indiana that haven't froze over well the last few years. I'll bet they are this year!

Do you know any Baird's in Hicksville? My Uncle Larry Baird lives there. Not sure if Kenny his son does though. I know Hicksville isn't very big just like my town!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/22/14 03:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I think my very old "Green Hornet #3" would have had a serious physical and mental breakdown under such conditions. Two pound test line on a cranky old reel, mounted to about a 24-inch green fiberglass rod from the early 60s. It works great with small bluegill and crappie

Dang, it is cold here. We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday. The good part is that it was really easy to plow because it was so darn cold. It only went down to 0 F degrees last night, but it has sure been windy. It has now made it all the way to +7 F, as of 1:00 PM. I have no idea of what the windchill might be.

It is too cold to go measure how much ice the ponds might have here. But, whatever they might be, I ain't going after any under-ice monsters.

It would be great if Cecil could get the job of mounting this thing -- and we could have an ice fishing article about it.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Your low and high pretty much matches ours here in Indiana right to the degree.

I look for someone getting nailed by an epic snowstorm this year before all is said and done. Not sure where but...

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/22/14 03:10 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: benji havens

Good for you. I'll bet they can ice fish quite a ways south this year, but most likely the locals probably don't even want to try it. LOL We have some strip pits in central and southern Indiana that haven't froze over well the last few years. I'll bet they are this year!

Do you know any Baird's in Hicksville? My Uncle Larry Baird lives there. Not sure if Kenny his son does though. I know Hicksville isn't very big just like my town!

I hear that both Greene-Sullivan and Shakamak lakes have fishable ice...I'm about 25 miles northeast of there, and I've got the thickest ice I've seen in awhile. Measured 5" this morning on a couple of the ponds.

Hope to hit it real soon.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
B
Sorry Cecil, don't no him but I'm new to this area just moved here in June! But give me time lol! The ice around here is all 8in or more, I even fished a 75acre and 30ft deep reservoir and it was that thick there. Don't see me going fishing for over a week with the very cold temps were getting and going to get!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's funny you say that. When I first moved to my area every would say, "Do you know so and so?" etc. I'd always have to say , "no I'm not from this area." Now I know a few people but still not that many other than the few hundred customers I've had since I moved here.

Back in the 70's it was nothing to have good ice from December to the end of February around here. Also a snowstorms in March around High School sectional time. Once had a blizzard hit while we were watching a playoff in the gym. Got outside and it was, WTH!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/22/14 04:03 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Ken, who is that old guy out there? He really shouldn't be fishing alone...I hope you kept an eye on him. Not safe. wink

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, I remember catching YP in IIRC late March that were just about ready to spawn. I was catching them in 3' to 4' of water over what used to be a bed of chara.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, I remember catching YP in IIRC late March that were just about ready to spawn. I was catching them in 3' to 4' of water over what used to be a bed of chara.

Open water? When? Recently? Or the 70's?

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
'70's, fishing thru about 6"-8" of ice. Air temp was above freezing, but there was still a bunch of ice on the lake. It was common then to have cars and trucks on the ice. I remember drilling thru about 36" of ice to fish one year. Dad shortened the handle on the spoon type auger so I could use it and it barely broke thru the ice. Another couple of inches and I would have run out of length on the handle.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Ken, who is that old guy out there? He really shouldn't be fishing alone...I hope you kept an eye on him. Not safe. wink

This past springtime I was fishing one of our DNR's trophy bluegill lakes when my canoe was rammed by another canoe. It was a young game warden.

He started to give me grief because I wasn't wearing a life vest. I told him politely that was not the law in my size canoe. He gave me other grief. I basically told him to F-off,and told him that if I died while fishing -- that would be a perfect way to go!

I didn't get arrested or ticketed that day.

Sometimes it is good to be "mature" and also to know a lot of the senior DNR folks by being active in our state's aquaculture.

I haven't seen that young man since that day.

Anyway, I don't go out on the ice unless I know it is at least 6 inches thick. I think it was about 8-10 when that photo was taken.

I also had spikes (handles with nails in the ends-- not like the spikes used as bait) in my pockets, tied together with a rope behind my back.

But, thanks for the concern.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
Lunker
LOL - just joshin ya' Ken. Glad you're enjoying a good ice season this year.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Ken, concerning that young warden that rammed your canoe and gave you a ration of crap. You should have kicked that sob in the ice hole... ugh

Just do it...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Jason D - 04/29/24 10:25 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder