Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,795
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
8 members (shores41, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, esshup, Drago, Boondoggle, ArkieJig, Augie), 1,022 guests, and 229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
ZEP, you might consider a little backing on your reel. My brother and I were after brownies on the Pierre Marquette in Michigan when we ran into the King Mackrel spawning run. We caught 4 apiece and kept one. 5 wt rods and 20/30 lb fish! We each had 100 ft of backing and that saved the day!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: george1
Yep, just bring 'em in by hand - reel is just for line storage....

Yes that is the one thing I wasn't crazy about,
but I probably didn't know what I was doing.

We'll talk about this stuff!

Ok George thanks.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Shelby County
ZEP, you might consider a little backing on your reel. My brother and I were after brownies on the Pierre Marquette in Michigan when we ran into the King Mackrel spawning run. We each had 100 ft of backing and that saved the day!

Gotcha....so they ran with it and almost stripped your reel?

Hey does that take a larger fly reel?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Maybe King Salmon (Chinook)? I don't think we have Mackerel up here.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I like the idea of a separate category called something like Pond Fishing Techniques. It could then be broken down into sub categories of Fly Fishing, Baitcasting, Spinning. That way all techniques would get equal time. I personally use all techniques at some time or another.

Online Content
Originally Posted By: Zep
George although I speak from fly fishing ignorance I think I would prefer a reel that you reel in by hand rather that the button type that reels in automatically. When I was in my teens I had the automoatic kind. Or do all fly fisherman bring their fish in by hand rather than reel the fish in? Is the reel part just for retrieving line instead of the fish? Or can it be a little bit of both?

Mark, ask away. There are some really experienced fly fisherman on this forum and I'm sure they'll chime in. I know TJ and Holdemplyer are fly guys for sure.

I'm so dumb I thought fly line weights: 5 weight, 6 weight, etc. was the the line strength. George finally told me it was the actual weight of the line, which then made sense since you cast the line, not the fly.

Redington has a great page that helps explain all the 101 stuff. I've used it a lot, and still refer to it.

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing/

AL

S
S
JKB, you got me! Old brains don't always work just right. Yes it was King Salmon not Mackrel! It was a big brag but all true. A small fly reel will take quite a bit of braid backing. We had it on our reels because we had been in Florida trying for some red drum in the bays. Ordinarily you wouldn't need backing for smaller fish from ponds and streams. Playing large fish with light tippets takes a lot of skill but you can acquire it fast catching BGs . Treat them all with respect and don't horse them and you will learn fast. Tom Sterling

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Backing helps fill up the reel spool so the coils aren't as small - helps minimize memory (I think).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
Backing helps fill up the reel spool so the coils aren't as small - helps minimize memory (I think).

You are correct Scott - to a point.. grin
Actually it is there to have enough line left on the reel to fight a big fish after the fish has taken all the fly line - usually 80-100 ft.
Seldom gets into the backing on most pond fish except a big HSB, GC or maybe big northern pond species.
Cheers,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, you're right about the species. You can add large common carp to the list.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
George, you're right about the species. You can add large common carp to the list.

Only if common carp are in ponds - only pond species caught or fished for will be allowed on fly fishing thread but I would love to have a carp pond! cool

Last edited by george1; 01/13/14 06:39 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Only if common carp are in ponds - only pond species caught or fished for will be allowed on fly fishing thread but I would love to have a carp pond! cool

O.K., but what is a defination of a "pond"? wink

As you know, that friend of mine in Texas only has ponds, but if I had them I'd consider them lakes!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I am certainly interested in seeing this forum cover a pond angling techniques category. Although I am like George and mainly interested in fly fishing, I recently fished my first ultralight rig and am also interested in that style. Branching out to cover this topic could be interesting. I hope to be able to contribute something. George has significant experience and if he is willing to share that then I think the forum should run with it.

It's ALL about the fish!
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
We're paying attention...
Moderators are discussing behind the scenes.

OK Mods - what's the program?
With ole age and failing memory - what are we talking about?
Fishin' or something?
grin

Last edited by george1; 01/14/14 11:36 AM.

S
S
George, I think you should ask Bob Lusk for a forum under General Questions called "Fly Fishing Reviews". If it becomes popular then maybe there could be sub categories added later. There are many posts that are not limited to ponds onPond Boss Forum so I think it could always be steered back to ponds generally if the "stream" interests get too heavy. Tom Sterling

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
George, I think you should ask Bob Lusk for a forum under General Questions called "Fly Fishing Reviews". If it becomes popular then maybe there could be sub categories added later. There are many posts that are not limited to ponds onPond Boss Forum so I think it could always be steered back to ponds generally if the "stream" interests get too heavy. Tom Sterling

Yeah Tom, I'm sure that the moderators are looking at consolidation of topics but I feel strongly about pond fishing that it should not be be in a "general" category but in a separate category.

I like Scott's and Todd's suggestions for a Pond Fishing topic with a Conventional Fishing category another titled Pond Fly Fishing. Each could have sub-topics.

Others may wish to suggest sub-topics for conventional but for Pond Fly Fishing:
Tackle and Technique
Fish, Flies and Fun

This format works well on the Texas Fishing Forum and is time tested - works well IMO.
George

Last edited by george1; 01/14/14 04:43 PM.

S
S
George, I fully agree with you. I just hope the powers that be will go for a forum that specific. There is a world of information and discussion just waiting to be opened up on pond fly fishing. Tom Sterling

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Fishin' or something?
grin

We aren't procrastinating. Instead, we are looking long term at how best to do this without causing us problems weeks, months, or a few years down the line. Something will be done. We just need a little more time to look at the pros and cons of various options.

You may have noticed that the name of one category changed names earlier today to be more inclusive of such subjects.

We just don't want to be rushed into a decision that will affect us in the longer term.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
George, I fully agree with you. I just hope the powers that be will go for a forum that specific. There is a world of information and discussion just waiting to be opened up on pond fly fishing. Tom Sterling

Thanks Tom, I think most of the PondBoss family have a passion for fishing and looking for versatility and challenge.

I'm going to risk a story... grin
Remember the lure thread where lures were circulated - I forget the name of the thread.
Remember WHO lost my hand tied RoadRunner lure by breaking off a big fish on light fishing line? - TACKLE!
The fish could have been landed by knowing how to play a big fish on light tackle - TECHNIQUE!
cry laugh
George

Last edited by george1; 01/14/14 05:11 PM.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Fishin' or something?
grin

We aren't procrastinating. Instead, we are looking long term at how best to do this without causing us problems weeks, months, or a few years down the line. Something will be done. We just need a little more time to look at the pros and cons of various options.

You may have noticed that the name of one category changed names earlier today to be more inclusive of such subjects.

We just don't want to be rushed into a decision that will affect us in the longer term.

Ken

Ken, I understand and totally agree.
Remember my earlier comment - "I don't want it done if not done right".
At age near 89 years of age I seem to have a sense of urgency to "giter done".... grin
George

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB, you got me! Old brains don't always work just right. Yes it was King Salmon not Mackrel! It was a big brag but all true. A small fly reel will take quite a bit of braid backing. We had it on our reels because we had been in Florida trying for some red drum in the bays. Ordinarily you wouldn't need backing for smaller fish from ponds and streams. Playing large fish with light tippets takes a lot of skill but you can acquire it fast catching BGs . Treat them all with respect and don't horse them and you will learn fast. Tom Sterling

I'll bet that was a blast! smile cool

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
What's wrong with keeping it the same as it has been?

Fishing 2014 as new! Everyone get's into this, should they post, and it's fun to read!

It's equal to everyone!

If you want to get serious about your rig and set up, then by all means do so!!!

All your techniques and such, then fill the pages with all this info as someone who needs nothing in return, just that you contributed your experience and knowledge!!!

Easy wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

Fishing 2014 as new! Everyone get's into this, should they post, and it's fun to read!

It's equal to everyone!

If you want to get serious about your rig and set up, then by all means do so!!!

All your techniques and such, then fill the pages with all this info as someone who needs nothing in return, just that you contributed your experience and knowledge!!!

Easy wink

It is one of the options we are discussing. The yearly fishing thread has been extremely popular, and it has never gotten lost.

This is just one more option we are looking that might work, but will hopefully will not cause us issues in years to come.

It may seem like a simple solution, but there are many short-term to long-term options we must evaluate.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: JKB

It's equal to everyone!

Easy wink

It is one of the options we are discussing. The yearly fishing thread has been extremely popular, and it has never gotten lost.

This is just one more option we are looking that might work, but will hopefully will not cause us issues in years to come.

It may seem like a simple solution, but there are many short-term to long-term options we must evaluate.

Ken

You're sounding like a politician! Touchy subject. OOPS!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Let's see how the new thread works, and we can tweak it from there.

If there's some other kind of fishing you want to discuss in the near future, just start a thread in one of the general categories.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?