Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (JoshMI, canyoncreek, FishinRod, Drago, Jason D, Sunil, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose, anthropic, Dave Davidson1, esshup), 1,185 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#357846 11/21/13 01:05 AM
A
Anadyr Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Earlier this year we put in a small pond - 50' diameter, sloping sides to 8' deep, liner, aeration, riprap on edges [see attached photos - don't know how to embed them].

The plan is to have something vaguely natural with water plants and frogs. Sometime in the future we might add a small number of domestic waterfowl or try to attract wild Wood Ducks. The pond has the frogs and water plants, but leeches came in on the plants and now we have a bumper crop.

Since I'm too lazy to catch the leeches and sell them for bait, we've been thinking about adding some fish to eat them. I've read here that a few RES might do the trick (or pumpkinseeds? I'm fond of pumpkinseeds). Do we need other species to have a balance?

I would like the pond to be balanced, and would prefer the fish preferentially eat the leeches and mosquito larvae over frogs and frog eggs. Yeah, right...Also on the dream on list is not to have to feed (much) and not to have to restock (much) and not to have to add a lot of pond products, or change the water.

DH would like to add some channel cats. We'd have to feed cats, though, and with such a small pond, I think nutrient build-up could be a problem. Before the leeches got us thinking about about adding fish he was planning to do his aquaculture in the greenhouse in tanks - so it would not be a sacrifice to not have them in the pond.

Obviously we're not much into rod fishing - we've both spent too much time trawling to have patience for that! Now it's time to sit on dry land and not catch fish.

TIA

Attached Images
pond bubbler small.jpg pond from sw small.jpg
H
Han Offline
H
Why don't you think about the idea of using ponds as a reusable water resource?

B
B
YP love to eat leeches. I would add some of them but not sure how many I would add I'm no expert! I plan on getting some for my pond soon.

A
Anadyr Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, we do plan on using the pond as a reusable water resource, and for fire fighting should it come to that. We have a shallow well and enough acreage to recharge the well with rainwater and a septic system. So our entire operation is reusable.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Where in VA are you located? There are several options for the goals you are seeking. RES would be a good candidate in my book. I would also consider all male BG. If you were fairly close to me, I could provide you with a dozen or two all male BG to try...

A
Anadyr Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks All!

I'm getting some 4" RES (pellet trained) from the fish truck next week. I figure that way fish reproduction is under more control. If they haven't controlled the leeches by next spring, I can add breeding habitat, or add some more RES.

CJB thanks for the offer of male bluegill. Those should work since sunfish don't appear to switch sex and aren't hermaphrodites. Still, as newbie, I'm put off by the stories of overpopulation and stunting*. I created a mess by accidentally introducing leeches. I don't want to seesaw between one species disaster and another.

I can't find any stocking recommendations for such a small pond as mine (60,000 gal) without supplementary feeding. So I'm starting with 10 RES. Does that seem ridiculous? I'm putting a couple in the 100 g tank in the greenhouse with my tropical aquatic plants, and the rest in the pond.

I'm also thinking about adding some minnows, and some crunchy things for the RES to eat - not snails because of the grub problem. For minnows, maybe Bobby Rice's silversides? They are native, have survived in land-locked settings, and probably won't eat the frog spawn. For RES, would papershell crawfish or something else be best (after they've eaten the leeches)? I will give them some sinking pellets, but would like to have the pond populations be self-sustaining.

Which of these are bad ideas?

*Good stunting story - in the 1960s trout were air-dropped into ponds/lakes in the Sierra Mountains where there was little to no food. The survivors grew to about 6" long, half of it mouth. They took to hanging out in the reeds and eating fallen redwinged blackbird nestlings.

Thanks so much!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I would look at stocking grass shrimp.

Lunker
Lunker
I wouldn't worry about the frogs, any fish that I've had didn't seem to touch the frog eggs. Maybe they taste bad? If you let vegetation grow around the pond edge (for them to hide in) or in the water, you'll have plenty of frogs. I really don't think they are a preferred food for the fish you are considering.

If you can get some minnows established the RES will eat them and any snails that inevitably show up. You will have to create the proper habitat for whatever it is you decide to stock if you want to keep them going. Crayfish will need some underwater rock piles to hide in if you try them.

I think a few RES and minnows sound like good choices. You will probably have to manage the RES if they reproduce though.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
A
Anadyr Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks CJBS,

I found your glass shrimp thread from 2009. Have you had luck establishing them? Are you still thinking P. paludosus is the best choice to establish in our area? It looks like I should add these in the spring - is that right? Is it legal to net them out of local steams/rivers? Can you recommend a good source? The sources in the 2009 threads are gone.

What's the food chain in your pond?

A
Anadyr Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks, Loretta

I will get some FHM along with the RES. Any idea about the stocking rate for a 60,000 gal pond (1950 sq ft surface)?

My husband says he'll manage the RES wink

We'll dig out a frog hole that's more compatible with marginal vegetation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM