Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, highflyer, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Bobbss, Sunil), 1,128 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Me and the Mrs. had an architect put together plans to build a home in side a steel building recently but the prices we got were almost double our budget. So, now we're considering a "modular" home. The specific model is made by Southern Energy homes sold by Clayton homes and others.

Does anyone have any experiences with modular homes, especially Southern Energy modulars, good or bad?

Thanks,

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
H
H
I would try to tour the facility and their models.

There are distinct advantages to buying a home built in a factory, but along with the advantages can come disadvantages as well. Personally, I'd prefer a home built on site. That way it's erected and not shifted as it's slung up onto a trailer, slung onto site, etc. Also, no offense to those who do modular factory work, but very few of the true craftsmen stick with this type of job and wage for long.

Most every modular that I have been in you can tell where the floors meet.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I lived in one for a while as a kid. We had all kinds of problems at first and even sued to get repairs done.

Like Heperus says the quality varies. I've seen some that look like high quality stick built while others were obviously modular with that trademark bay window and cheap siding.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/11/13 10:20 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We bought a manufactured Sunshine from Clayton homes two years ago and put on foundation. The main prob we have had is the person in charge of installing water fixtures did not tighten them enough. Got some water damage in one of the bathrooms under tub before I became aware it was leaking. Luckily floor is 3/4 inch 50 year ply wood. I was scrared of the modular in exact same design after reading horror stories of bowing after several years. The manufactured homes have steels beam supporting whole house.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just like a regular home you get what you pay for. We went with 2x6 walls and extra insulation. Solid oak cabinets, thick floor board and 3/4 inch drywall and ceilings. It was not our original plan but our land was not worth enough for our $140000 2500 square foot stick house we had drawn up. We would be upside down from start.

Last edited by John Wann; 11/11/13 10:57 AM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
I bought a modular with a 2x6 frame because I could move in at less than a similar unfinished shell could be put up using conventional builders. I proceeded to replace every window, door and fixture in the house over the last 20 years. This was planned since I was aware that these were of low quality. I also rehung all the siding after putting on a house wrap. Best of luck with yours!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
djstauder.....I considered one of these awhile back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW4g-7QNSlw

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Thanks for the responses.

zep,
That is an interesting vid. We'd like the "rustic" look inside and out but we are looking for 2000sq. ft. and 3 bedroooms. I'd have to do a bit more research to see if those are modular or manufactured.

RAH,
That was a modular home and not a manfactured? I was under the impression that the modulars were pretty tight; we even went to visit a couple of modular homes that friends of friends have.

Hesperus,
We are going to visit the model home for the floor plan Jodi likes and, possibly, the factory if timing works out. The two I've been in the ceiling and floor connections have been seamless.

John,
Yours was manufactured and not modular?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
I think there is a lot of variation in the quality of modular homes, including the assembly. My contractor was a disaster! We finally got it set level and square, which was really all we needed. Do you homework on the builder and the contractor!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: djstauder
zep,
That is an interesting vid. We'd like the "rustic" look inside and out but we are looking for 2000sq. ft. and 3 bedroooms. I'd have to do a bit more research to see if those are modular or manufactured.

Yeah djstauder I am not sure..

They do make a 2,025 sq ft model called the "25x40 Lanier". It sells for $127,850 which includes a 6'x40' porch and delivery within 100 miles of their South Carolina factory...additional shipping costs for farther away. Pretty good looking unit.

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2012/11/30/10191343/Lanier%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://www.woodtex.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/998027_683574814992914_1313340943_n.jpg

http://www.woodtex.com/log-cabins-lanier.asp

Fishing has never been about the fish....

H
H
Originally Posted By: RAH
I think there is a lot of variation in the quality of modular homes, including the assembly. My contractor was a disaster! We finally got it set level and square, which was really all we needed. Do you homework on the builder and the contractor!

So true!

I know of another (here in WI) that had the basement done poorly. It wasn't sill sealed properly and did not sit down properly. Also had a window leak and rot out the wall.

Up here we insulate for both extremes. When we built (stick) we went with sprayed closed cell foam and would never do it any other way. The air seal is awesome and NO there are not issues with stale air.

If the home has a steel frame under it that would be what is called a sectional or "double wide" would it not? Modulars are built as boxes and then hoisted in with a crane typically.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
We live in a modular home which we bought in southern Missouri about 15 years ago. We toured the factory and were impressed with what we saw. 2 x 6 studs, 3/4 inch wallboard, six inches of insulation, 10/12 roof. We ordered in October and were in it in early December. We would have had it sooner but the entire factory closed for all of deer season. We bought upgraded windows, extra insulation, and installed our own HVAC. People never think it is modular. We thought it was pretty smart that the home was built inside, trusses, etc. never exposed to rain, or any weather.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I looked at them and the ones they offer down here in Louisiana what they called "a modular home" looked like a double wide trailer with a
high roof to look like a regular home. The inside looked like it was better built and the finishes were better than a regular mobile home but the prices were so high we just went with a stick built home. When i think of a modular home i think 4 or 5 pieces to it and its built just like a regular home just put together on site. Down here they seem to be a high priced double wide with small upgrades to make you think your getting something your not.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Thanks,all. I will pass this information to Jodi for formal review! hehe

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
An afterthought...
When we were shopping, all the options for purchasing a mod home were thru a general contractor. The home manufacturers had specific GC's in each region of their delivery territory. One had to purchase their home thru the GC for that specific area. The GC would then contract the required sub's to bring it all together. My contract to purchase was with the GC. We started with about a dozen different manufacturers, then 3, then whittled it down to 2. We then lit both ends of the candle and played them against each other.
I do recall, though, that one of the 3 last players was a different approach to mod homes: Design Homes. They DID work directly with the purchaser. There was no middle man. As I recall, they did everything except the foundation. To this day, I believe they still operate the same. Kinda fun to shop and look for clearance bargains.
Design Homes

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Thanks. Up to now, we've been dealing with Clayton Home which "seems" to bring all of materials and building efforts together so we won't be working directly with a GC if I am correct.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
A friend of mine has been researching modular homes and can find no legitimate suppliers here. It seems that the term "modular" is open to loose interpretation, being used freely by sellers of glorified double wide mobile homes, just as wickedinhere said. My research has shown that true Modular Homes conform to all local building codes whereas Manufactured Homes (mobile homes) conform to federal codes governed by HUD.

I know that manufactures of true modular homes exist and that modular homes are well built homes, but they don't seem to have become popular in the south.

If anyone knows of manufacturers of the modular homes that conform to all local codes (instead of HUD) and that are available in the south, please let me know.

F
F
I believe that the Southern Energy homes are built close to me in Addison Alabama. The quality of manufactured homes has improved a lot over the last 20 years and can be ordered with most of the features of a site built home for less money. One of the biggest negatives of a manufactured home is the resale value. It could be an issue if you ever decide to sell plus it limits some potential buyers who will not consider buying a manufactured home. My nephew just had a site built house built by Americas Best and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and price. They have offices throughout the southeast so you might want to check them out.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Dudley, your analysis is correct. Also, if you have a home it has a deed, if a trailer, whether it looks like a modular or not, you have a title just like a car. Your insurance and taxes will be larger with a trailer. Trailers also have tags on them with serial numbers, etc.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Thanks so much for your input, Gentlemen. I went with my friend about a month ago to look at what a seller was calling a modular home. The home was beautiful, actually luxurious, but I advised that the purchase not be made because I suspected that if a resale would be attempted thirty years from now, depreciation would deal a stunning blow, whereas with a true modular or stick-built home, value could appreciate or at least remain the same.

I'll advise looking into America's Best and further modular research and if the results are unsatisfactory, I'll recommend stick built.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Also, my nieghbors found this out:

If it doesn't have a foundation, with the new lending laws, mortgage companies won't touch it, and it has to be a cash sale. At least that's what I was told.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
We visited the southern energy shop in Addison and it was very interesting and impressive.

We've decided on the modular home as Dudley describes as "true Modular Homes conform to all local building codes." However, it is difficult to get normal financing through banks and the insurance companies are sceptical as well because they believe they are essentially large mobile homes.

Dudley,
We're using Clayton Homes; they do have offices in Louisiana cause I saw onc recently south of Lafayette on Hwy 90( possibly New iberia or Morgan City???). We're working with them out of Hattiesburg, Ms. and the salesperson tells me their sales are constituted by less than 5% modular.

I've spent a TON of time over the years researching this topic...first because I was going to buy one for myself and then again a couple of years later as I was purchasing one for my parents to put on my property.

Here's my .02...you have the exact same concerns at 10,000 feet when you are selecting a modular home that you do when having one stick built. There are good manufacturers/contractors and bad ones, you can end up with a dandy or a real lemon, and your results will entirely depend on what builder you select and how much time you spend on the details.

There are total crap modular (and mobile) manufacturers, there are middle of the road ones, and there are good ones. In most instances you get what you pay for. I'll second others here...if you're seriously considering buying go for a tour of the factory.

Installation is absolutely key for success. You can take a top of the line best-in-class modular and if your installer is either A) lazy B) incompetent or C) ignorant specific to what needs done during setup then you're going to hate your house.

My mother has been in hers for just shy of 3 years now...and it's held up very well. But my Dad rode roughshod over the installation process, in several instances making them come back 2 and 3 times to redo areas he was unhappy with.

Make sure your contract has some $$$ in holdback/escrow until completion of all tasks - plus 30 days if possible. That way if something settles/comes apart/etc you have a good chance of seeing fast response time.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Gentlemen, and for relaying your personal experiences.

It seems that lending institutions are being wise in their skepticism because the sales people here seem to be blurring the distinction between "modular" and "manufactured" homes. If ever there was a case for "let the buyer beware" it lies here. I am now convinced that many who are buying what they have been told is a modular home will be getting a very bitter dose of reality when, in the future, they discover that their $160,000 "modular" is actually a manufactured home and worth $20,000.

I am fast concluding that stick-built by a reputable local home builder would be the wisest course of action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves