Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1), 658 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356519 11/07/13 08:44 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Okay....in a perfect world, what would you like to see invention wise, in the way of new products targeted to the pond management marketplace? What do we as pondmeisters, consultants, managers, or professionals , need? What would make things easier, from a mechanical standpoint?

I'll be brave and toss out an idea that I have tinkered with, on and off, for a little while. I want to see an aeration system powered by a stirling cycle engine. For those who may not be aware, the stirling cycle operates by virtue of a temperature differential...no internal combustion or electricity needed. In my opinion, it's a logical marriage...aeration systems typically sit in close proximity to the pond/lake, which could provide one half of the temperature variable, while ambient air temps would provide the other.

Stirling technology, while perhaps not quite there yet, is making great strides. Think of it...aeration that is not dependent on electricity, fossil fuels, sunny days, or wind currents. Gotta' be a market for that.

Anybody else have an idea whose time they think has come?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This is not mechanical but we need species or genus specific herbicides.
Mechanical - a nutrient pump remover. Then we could sell the nutrient back to those that fertilize their ponds.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Can't think of anything off hand but you've got me curious about the stirling pump. I'll have to do some research.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
W
Fishing pole with a beer holder somehow fashioned into the rod itself. Something with a temperature control and ergonomic grip preferably but not a must. I'm not picky

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
This is not mechanical but we need species or genus specific herbicides.
Mechanical - a nutrient pump remover. Then we could sell the nutrient back to those that fertilize their ponds.

Chemistry is not my strong point, but I suppose reverse osmosis might clear the water of all those pesky blooms....for a price!

Actually, maple syrup producers are utilizing RO to concentrate the sugar content of the sap in order to reduce boil times and fuel costs. And, I have seen some very slick home-built RO's, for smaller ops. And by smaller, I mean thousands of gallons.....might work for a very small pond, or indoor growout tanks.

L
L
Well, a time dilator would be great. Want to spend a few hours fishing but you have a job? Dial up some time for yourself! 4 hours to you, a few minutes to everyone else! Needs to be pocket sized.

J
J
I don't see why a cold-water fish gene can't be spliced into Tilapia so they can survive the winter in northern ponds, and for commercial Tilapia farming in cold areas.

When I buy most things I always wonder if I could build that and maybe build it better, my wife says it's a sickness. Having seen surf fishermen use air powered bait cannons to get their bait past the second sand bar, why wouldn't it work for fish feeders? Cheap, almost all PVC, few moving parts and probably cover a larger area. I bet it can be kludged together with available off-the-shelf components. Maybe it can double as a candy dispenser on the Christmas parade float to reach the smaller kids who can't fight their way through the bigger kids to the front of the crowd. Just a fleeting thought.

B
B
I would buy a heavy duty solar powered insect -bug killer feeder,
some remote ponds are just never going to have ac power.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
When I buy most things I always wonder if I could build that and maybe build it better, my wife says it's a sickness. Having seen surf fishermen use air powered bait cannons to get their bait past the second sand bar, why wouldn't it work for fish feeders? Cheap, almost all PVC, few moving parts and probably cover a larger area. I bet it can be kludged together with available off-the-shelf components. Maybe it can double as a candy dispenser on the Christmas parade float to reach the smaller kids who can't fight their way through the bigger kids to the front of the crowd. Just a fleeting thought.

I've thought about this same thing.....and, if the compressor used for the aeration system could be tapped to provide the air for the feed cannon, you could build an entire system powered by air....both aeration and feeder. Up the size and output of the compressor, design a feeder that operates off of compressed air, have one "base" station that provides the air for everything, and bury an airline to whatever point you needed aeration and/or a feeder.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How about some sort of inexpensive warm water discharge device to raise winter water temps a few degrees to help threadfins survive the cold weather? Would also improve winter fishing kind of like the power plant lakes.

M
M
A roomba vacuum type contraption that will remove all the falling leaves off the pond surface.

L
L
Originally Posted By: BrianO
I would buy a heavy duty solar powered insect -bug killer feeder,
some remote ponds are just never going to have ac power.

This is do-able.

I would like almost the exact opposite of a para scope to hang off the dock. I would like battery/solar powered lights for night time. I picture it with a rotating/tilting mirror at the bottom so that you can pan around and watch the fish underwater. It would need to be easily removable so that you can clean the underwater part when required. It would be even sweeter if you could drop a piece of fish food down it like a gumball machine.

If you added a mount for a video camera, then you would have something really cool.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images