Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
After a lifetime of hunting deer w/a variety of weapons, I'm taking a handgun to the stand this year. I'll be using a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag w/a 240 gr hollowpoint. Anyone with any experience or suggestions??

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Haven't tried it yet. Have a Ruger Super Redhawk, .44 Mag, stainless, w/9.5" barrel.

Super Redhawk

Mine has the inlaid wood on both sides of the grip. Prices sure have shot up tho.

I eventually want to get a scope for it. I'll have to dig up the thread of suggestions again. I think Leupold was on top of the suggestion list.

It sucks shootin em when you have a lot of sinus pressure tho.

Last edited by JKB; 10/21/13 07:12 PM.
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: brook wilson
I'm taking a handgun to the stand this year.
I'll be using a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag

"Go ahead, make my doe."

Last edited by Yolk Sac; 10/21/13 04:15 PM. Reason: Wait a minute, that was a Smith and Wesson. Never mind.
O
O
I have taken my S&W 629 the stand a couple of times but never pulled the trigger...The only suggestion I have is just like any other weapon...PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

Good Luck!!!!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Esshup will probably chime in here with an array of notches on the pistol grip, and Lord only knows what caliber.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The first year that Indiana allowed handguns, I let my BIL talk me into going out with him. We had actually finished our hunt and were walking out across the dam on the big lake, when a buck stood up in some brush down at the base of the dam.

It wheeled around and took off as he pulled his Taurus .357 out of its holster, open sights and all, took aim and fired. The buck jumped a fence, ran about 15 yards onto the neighbors place, and dropped over. Totally amazing, lucky shot.

Wrestling an 8 pointer over chest high woven wire, and up the backside of a weedy, brushy dam was no picnic. I haven't been deer hunting since.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I took my Colt Python a couple of times but nothing came close enough for me to feel comfortable shooting at it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Esshup will probably chime in here with an array of notches on the pistol grip, and Lord only knows what caliber.

Nope, not me! Rifle, muzzleloader, crossbow, slug gun. That's about it for deer for me. I DO have a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger that I carry when I'm using the muzzleloader for hogs tho.... grin Hey, JKB wanted to know what caliber!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I can shoot my bow in the kill zone at a greater distance than I can with my 357 S&W revolver, and with a better blood trail. My buddy took one on my place right below his stand (straight through the spine) with his Contender, but I do not know what cartridge he was using. It drpped in place.

One of my favorite ways to hunt is stalking with only my handgun.

Only do it if it's raining as I don't like sitting in the rain and it works great as your rifle doesn't get wet and the handgun can stay under cover unless you have a shot.

You really can move silently in the rain and without a long barrel to carry, you can keep a low profile. It is a very exciting way to hunt.

All that being said, I've never killed a deer this way. Had some questionable shots I didn't take...it seemed more exciting to see how close I could get.

Maybe this year. I use a 1911 that I'm confident with for an appropriate shot.

To Hell with Georgia...
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: JKB

Nope, not me! Rifle, muzzleloader, crossbow, slug gun. That's about it for deer for me. I DO have a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger that I carry when I'm using the muzzleloader for hogs tho.... grin Hey, JKB wanted to know what caliber!

Is that one of those that just squirt the bullet out for maybe 50-100 feet or so, then it's all over the place? Dead kill at point blank tho, as the final nail! I almost bought one when Dawn to Dusk was around, but chose the RedHawk.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I take my Ruger Security Six in .357 Mag. 6" stainless along with me as bear protection and to put deer down that need a follow up shot at close range. I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards with it, so I have been tempted to attempt to shoot a deer from up in my stand with it during firearms season. Never have though...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, I'm not sure. I never really shot it for accuracy at a distance. I bought it from my buddy that has a .44Mag and he didn't like the recoil on the .480. I don't think it's bad, but I'm not a handgun shooter.

Here's a video I found.

.480 factory ballistics
http://www.ballistics101.com/480_ruger.php

.44 Mag factory ballistics
http://www.ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php

The .480 case is just as long as a .44 Magnum case, but it's the same diameter as a .45-70 rifle case at the base, so it throws a .475" dia bullet..

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
If you're a handloader, check these out:

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=A431

I use their rifle bullets, but am considering loading up some of their handgun line too. I check out some shooting forums and some of the members on those forums have had great success with the handgun bullets they have tested.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Esshup, it was the .454 Casull. One of the employees said the owner bought it and couldn't hit anything with it and put it on the shelf for sale.

The .480 Ruger came out a few years later.

I picked up a Blackhawk in 44 mag this year and plan to take it with me during gun season - I have a H&R 12 magnum slugger with a bull barrel and scope for those 'reach out and touch' shots at a distance - I'm carrying the 44 mag for follow up and/or coup de grace shots.

Actually I'm carrying the 44 mag so I can say I carried a 44 mag really. I haven't taken a deer during gun season in several years...I'm a string and stick guy through and through and usually have the freezer full before gun season comes around.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob, they are kinda proud of their bullets.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
OP Offline
B
It looks like they could do some damage though, judging from the gel picture. For this year, I'm using factory rounds, but next year I'll probably try hand loads. Hornady XTP's come highly recommended. I picked up this gun used (but you'd never know it) this summer for $500. I was happy with that, given its condition. Ammo is regularly available between $30 and $40/box.

I don't plan on taking anything unless it's right on top of me as I'm not comfortable w/my abilties beyond 30 yards. I used to coon hunt exclusively w/a revolver, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've let some pretty nice bucks walk right under me for the last few years and thought it might be pretty cool to take one w/a handgun.

Sparkplug, I'm w/you on the dragging part. I never had a 4-wheeler till a few years ago and dragged all my deer out by hand. It's a whole lotta fun hauling one up a steep, slimy river bank as well. Dragging them through backwater is a blast too. I'm afraid I'm not that ambitious anymore, but I don't plan on quitting any time soon.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I got my 4 wheelers about 15 years ago and they pretty well changed my life. They were stolen this year and I promptly replaced them. I rarely use anything else when I leave the house.

Oh yeah, I also gained 20 pounds that I'm still carrying around.

V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
For me it was my tractor. Bought it about 8 or 9 years ago and now when hunting around the house or on neighbor's I just roll the deer into the front bucket and I'm set. Great for lifting it up to hang on the gambrel, too, but then I put a winch up in the rafters of the garage. Push the button and up they go. Keeps my back happy.

There are some other properties that my son and I hunt that are mountainous, so we still get to do plenty of back-breaking drags, especially when they're final run takes 'em down the wrong side of a ridge.

Lately been trying to convince my wife that she needs a 4-wheeler grin

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My wife drags most of my deer out while I relocate and keep hunting. If I go missing, check the freezer. smile

Last edited by RAH; 10/23/13 12:26 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: RAH
My wife drags most of my deer out while I relocate and keep hunting.

That is outstanding!

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Originally Posted By: RAH
My wife drags most of my deer out while I relocate and keep hunting.

That is outstanding!

Does she have a sister?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
All started 20 years ago when I first started hunting. My wife was pregnant with my first. I shot a very large bodied buck near dark (bow) but I could not find it. My wife found it the next morning very close to where it was shot (as it turns out, I am a poor tracker - My wife is not). She called me at work, so my buddy and me headed back to the farm. By the time I got home, she had it dressed and back to the house. we hung it up and returned to work. When I got home it was butchered. I have not done much after shooting a deer ever since. She does have a sister, but she would not be much help (mine is one of a kind). She does give me a lot of grief over this, and I do deserve it. Thirty years of marriage next April!

Lunker
Lunker
Thats ok been down that road once and for right now that is enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images