Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MSC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Do water birds move fish to other ponds by eggs getting on them or just dropping them or whatever. Everyone has heard stories of very surprise catches made in ponds. Like around here white perch and yellow perch, which are in the tidal creeks show up in ponds far from the creeks.

Do such catches come from birds or mostly fisherman?

Last edited by MSC; 10/12/13 05:39 AM.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If I was a Vegas oddsmaker, I'd put my money on the 2 legged critters without feathers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think we may be close to an even split on the bird-stocking aspect here on the forum.

I believe it happens, instinct wise, by a bird like a heron moving live fish.

I don't think the bird egg transport thing is real, but I suppose it has a snowballs chance.

Stocking by human (Ole Mudcat Joe) is the first go-to reason for seeing an odd fish in a body of water, but beyond that, I believe certain birds will move live fish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I still say it happens although the odds may well be low. Why? Because of something I've posted here before. That is, I know of a fish farm in central Indiana that raises exotic gold fish in 200 ponds. They ship them out and don't have any retails outlets in the area, or even the state. Anyway, many of the recreational ponds in the area have these varieties of goldfish in them. And it's doubtful any of the locals are stealing them or have any interest in doing so. The fish farm ponds are visited by so many herons the farm has given up trying to control them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/12/13 11:34 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
I don't think it is just a legend. In Planet Earth and lots of another high quality documentaries they mention that. I don't know either this is because they really have a prouf about that or because they can't find any other explanations though.

Last edited by Fatih; 10/12/13 11:07 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
"I still say it happens altho the odds may well be low" Well Cecil, when my wife got prego she had an IDU that was reportedly 97% safe, so me and my son believe in low odds being very attainable!!! Now I hate to ask this but Sunill made me do it. What came first, the duck or the sticky eggs? PS Bruce you can quote me on that.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think it's possible for a raptor to drop a catch into another BOW, but I question whether or not it was intentional! grin

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You have better odds catching a 10+ pound bass in the north than eggs sticking to a bird's legs and surviving to hatch in another pond. Herons or raptors dropping fish, almost as rare unless ponds are adjacent to each other. I know of several ponds that after years, 10+ still have no fish in them. Fish finding a new home in a pond is by humans, either on intentionally(with or without permission) or unintentionally(stock contamination, improper identification). Natural movement during high water events. They either get flooded down stream from a pond above yours or ascend your outflow into your pond.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
speaking of birds and fish....crazy video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-k_hbq3pA

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Holy Moly!!!!! That video is jumping off!!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sunil, earlier in the day there at TJ's we saw an Osprey over his main pond. He's never seen one on his place before, so that was a first for him. Pretty cool birds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I give it an almost zero possibility. Actually a 1 with a whole lot of zeroes following a .

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If by chance a bird moved one fish into a pond what are the chances it will happen a second time, and be the same species, and be the opposite sex for reproduction to occur. Odds now become astronomical.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Never say never Bill. It's been said the odds against us being here with our particular DNA are astronomical. Someone ends up winning the lottery right?

I've seen some things happen in my lifetime that had astronomical odds against it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/12/13 10:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Didn't say never, but astronomical.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Didn't say never, but astronomical.

O.K. my bad.

With the particular example I cited there are dozens of herons on this farm on a daily basis so perhaps these dozens of birds making numerous trips from pond to pond would increase the odds?

Aren't eggs sticky after being fertilized to stay in the nest of centrarchids? If not what would keep wind action from moving them into less desirable silty areas? If they are sticky what would prevent them from sticking to the feed of a heron marching through bluegill beds?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/12/13 11:05 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
But, if they are sticky enough to stick, how do they magically become unsticky? And unstuck in the correct place to finish developing? Don't heron feet dry out during flight? I think the odds are even greater than winning the lottery.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
MSC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I would just guess that it does happen but rarely and only a few fish. Now waterspouts from tornadoes can also move fish to other waters.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I agree that it could happen and probably has. But the odds are truly astronomical regarding any given event. Somebody wins the lottery but that requires human intervention.

I don't believe that a bird has ever consciously stocked fish.

The odds of eggs sticking to feet, feathers or fur are also pretty skinny. The odds of such eggs remaining viable after flight increase the odds. Lets say that the first 2 events did happen somewhere in neverland. Now, lets assume that somehow the wad of eggs came off the donors feet, fur or feathers into a pond. We also have to assume that those eggs had been fertilized by a male. To get the sunlight that they need, it would have to be in shallow water. We would also have to assume that there was enough wind/gentle waves to aerate them without them becoming covered with detritus. Lets further assume that it was a pond with no other fish of that species. Now, we need to assume that no bugs ate the eggs. That also means a BOW barren of anything like other small fish that would/could eat the eggs or any fry that somehow hatched. That means that the ever present opportunistic minnows/YOY just overlooked the easy meal. I may have even missed a couple of steps here.

So, we start with astronomical odds that keep getting hugely skinnier at each stage. The odds are probably worse than me winning the Powerball lottery. BTW, I don't play that sucker game.

By now, I'm betting that some scientist has probably tried to duplicate the process but failed. Anybody ever heard of such an experiment?

I'm not a scientist but I tried it about 10 or so years ago. I bought a white duck at a flea market and sacrificed it. At that time, BG were nesting and I ran a male off a nest. I tried to get the feet and feathers to stick but it didn't happen. I realize that it was just one time by a non scientist so that is no proof that it couldn't be done in a lab under controlled circumstances. But a pond isn't a lab.

I'll take the odds on Mudcat Joe.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Years ago before I had my pond dug, I dug a test hole seven feet deep. No tiles around. Minnows appeared. you be the judge.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Where'd the water come from to fill the test hole?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
But, if they are sticky enough to stick, how do they magically become unsticky? And unstuck in the correct place to finish developing? Don't heron feet dry out during flight? I think the odds are even greater than winning the lottery.

Watch a heron fly AWAY from your pond next time. Oh wait do they ever do that? LOL

They pull their legs up and fold the webbed toes together as they fly.

No magic needed. Sticky isn't like super glue for God's sake. :-)

I agree the odds may be low but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Remember all you need for population of a species is a male and a female or a fertilized egg of both sexes.

Another thing is you're forgetting herons regularly regurgitate things from their neck gullet. That's how parasites are introduced. Why not some fish eggs that are accidentally ingested? It could be a matter of short movements from pond to pond or watersheds over a long period of time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/13 12:20 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Somebody wins the lottery but that requires human intervention.

That's called cheating isn't it? grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: john kelsey
Years ago before I had my pond dug, I dug a test hole seven feet deep. No tiles around. Minnows appeared. you be the judge.

Spontaneous Generation? wink

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/13 12:23 PM.

J
J
It filled by itself. I did not add water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build