Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#353049 10/06/13 01:31 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Well I dug a test hole on the back of my property and found no clay. It filled with water pretty quick (ground water pond was the original plan) but quickly drained to more than 3 feet below the surface. This has me rethinking what I can do for a pond on my property.

Given what I know about the soil now I will have to use a liner of some sort, which will limit the size. I am thinking something around 30x40 feet round and 12-14 feet deep?

The goal would be a pond at the point has to change from the original idea as well. Now I am hoping for a bluegill pond where I can take my son fishing and reliably catch some fish. I would like the dog to be able to swim in the pond, and possibly people.

Because I would like to be able to swim in it myself and the size I am worried about water quality. How do I keep this thing CLEAN. doesn't have to be crystal clear but needs to be pretty clean water for it to be worth while. Thinking mostly about just jumping in and a rope swing of some sort.

I will probably make somewhat of a water feature w/ a portion of the dirt I dig out, but am not sure how I could keep that clean either.

I guess the point of this thread is looking for guidance and recommendations to where I can read about someone else who has done something similar.

I also have a few concerns I would like to address.
Water clarity
longevity
quality/cost installation of a liner
Would it be better to truck in some clay?
sealing around the dock pylons.
water feature
fish types feeding ect.
any freezing concerns w/ a liner
Rip rap around the exterior?

I will have a well dug for my house, and I expect to be able to get around 70 gallons a minute from the well... Is this enough to keep up w/ topping the pond off in the summer w/out being to much of a burden on the well?

I
OP Offline
I
I will be digging it with this and a dump trailer if that helps anything.

Not my photo, but I have the same backhoe attachment.

Last edited by Indygunworks; 10/06/13 01:41 PM.
M
mpc Offline
M
Hi Indygunworks, 30 x 40 is a non issue for a 70GPM well unless your well will runs dry quickly. I filled my pond with 10GPM and it is just over 1 acre 12 to 17ft deep. Here is my opinion, not facts on some of the other questions.

Water Clarity: With fish and a feeder you will have some issues from time to time.

Longevity: Pond, hard to say with liner. I know nothing about them except the ones we had in the refinery I worked in, had lifespans of 10 or so yrs.

Quality/Cost,freezing concerns: ? Don't know, I live in the south.

Clay might be needed around the edge to seal but not sure. I would assume it is not needed in the bottom of the pond say as a cushion layer.

Sealing around pylons: They probably should not penetrate the liner i.e. better to have a floating dock.IMHO

Rip rap: yes, helps for control of erosion. IMHO

Fish types and counts: Others with knowledge of your Geographical area will come along to give you some Ideas.

Good luck and post picture if and when you can, as you go.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Try googling swimming ponds. A lot of things have been done in Europe with dirt bottom ponds managed mainly for clear water swimming.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
I
OP Offline
I
I think that is exactly what I need to do. What is the smallest size you think I can do as far as the deep area and still grow lets say a couple dozen red ears, so I can still go fishin.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Two dozen RES with good food source would easily grow well in 0.05 ac 50x50ft or 30x40ft. However properly feeding 24 RES enough natural foods for growth would be problematic. Consider using something that will eat pellets such as 24 male bluegill.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/07/13 08:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
I
OP Offline
I
I thought bluegill would peck at swimmers in the water?

Originally Posted By: Indygunworks
I thought bluegill would peck at swimmers in the water?

the one's in my pond don't~....my wife wouldn't be having that.... she swims in the pond every summer!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Mine sometime do and sometimes don't. It may have to do with location in the pond (i.e. near the structure and floating dock) is more prevalent and I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with hunger. The little ones(3-6 inches) kinda tickle but the larger (9 inches) can cause quite a startle!

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
I
OP Offline
I
I hate to do it because I thought I was on the right track, but I have to ask... Can anyone please point me in a direction to learn about these swimming ponds. I found some youtube stuff, and a couple links, but no one place talking about design ideas, how I need to plumb and flow water, types of plants.... If I use a liner but want a dock w/ a "swing set" at the end, what I do I have to do to reinforce it so I do not damage the liner.

what materials are used for the walls to secure the deep spot. how would I trouble shoot an algea problem. Trying to wrap my head around this but information seems to be very scarce.

also would this need to be approved through the surveyor as a pond, or the building department as a pool?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday