Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,272
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (tim k, H20fwler), 664 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#348827 08/26/13 09:10 PM
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok I am just about done putting structure in. Lake has about 2' of water in it from about 2.5" of rain. Well will be supplementing that water within two weeks. Is it to early to put fatheads in already? Also, what caused the green algae looking stuff? It wasn't there before I put the PVC trees in on Saturday and we had another rain?

Attached Images
image.jpg
Last edited by bklem; 08/26/13 09:11 PM.

Billy Klemstein
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Billy, never too early to add fatties!!!

Just do it...
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks for the reply. Kind of what I was thinking but man that water looks like it wouldn't support any life!

Billy Klemstein
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Billy, I've often said that I believe fatheads could live and thrive in a nuclear waste dump. Or at least survive. The minnows will provide a certain level of mosquito control.

Rambling thoughts here: That said, I think I would wait until you have pumped in the new water. Then have it tested. I really expect the well water is OK. Maybe it doesn't matter since it is your main source anyway. How's that for decisiveness?

I think the smartest route is to fill the pond and wait a couple of weeks.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Lol, yea Dave you kind of went all over the ballpark for me there! I think I'll wait till there is a bit more water in the lake. Heck I'm not even sure who has a supply of forage fish down in the valley? Guess I need to do some research on that first. Any suggestions? Btw, as a disclaimer, I am NOT the final word on this lake. We have a biologist working with us on the project. I am merely the facilitator who suggests things. Fortunately they don't listen to everything I suggest!

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Bringing this back to the top. We stocked 2000 1-3" copper nose blue gill and red ear sunfish combination and 6000 fathead minnows. My questions now are is it a viable option to somehow jump start the process on getting bigger lmb in the lake and if so how would we go about it. We would like to be fishing for bass this summer and I realize that it might cost a lot more but is it even an option? Just for background, the lake is right at 2 acres with a maximum depth of 18'.

Billy Klemstein
T
T
I'm no expert (or anywhere close for that matter) but if you just stocked the forage fish I would wait till the fall to put my bass in to allow them to spawn first.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you stock larger LMB, they will be able to eat your forage base, which is the CNBG. That's a good recipe for a LMB stunted pond, exactly the opposite of what your pond goals are.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Can you not stock larger and more forage fish before stocking adult lmb?

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes you can, it all depends on the depths of your pocketbook. But, before you stock adult LMB, do some more research. Sometimes they don't fare well - it seems that they get used to one BOW and might not do so well once transferred to another BOW.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Billy, an often tossed around factoid is that bass need forage that is between 1/4 and 1/3 its body length. It's a matter of calories received vs energy expended to catch that small morsel.

Yeah, you could dump in a lot of large BG for the bass. However, at some point, you then have to worry about the biomass that somehow is supposed to top out at 100 pounds per acre of all fish in the pond. Go over that and you just might be looking at a dissolved oxygen crash. Those aren't pretty and my "experiments" have resulted in several of them. The bigger fish always seem to die first when you push that button.

Let me backtrack for a minute on the BG. Some of us are finding that the 1,000 baby BG per acre number is woefully short when bass use them for breakfast. If it were me, and it's not, I would either double that or wait longer to introduce predators.

If I just couldn't wait, I would go with feed trained bass, a Sweeney feeder and largemouth pellets the size of your thumb.

After all of that dancing around, I think it is doable. I would double the amount of BG, add feed trained bass with largemouth feeders and several BG feeders plus copious aeration. Don't forget redears for the snails and maybe tilapia. The kicker on the tilapia is that they don't cooperate and die off in the valley when the temps drop. With aeration, that probably won't be a big deal. Monitor everything carefully and tell the owner to keep his checkbook handy. Sounds like he is money whipping this deal anyway.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks so much for the replies. I'll pass along the information and let y'all know what we decide. I do believe that since we are in this thing for the long haul we might need to reconsider and do this thing the right way and just enjoy growing fingerling bass for a year or two. Thanks, Billy

Billy Klemstein
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You can ladder the fish but it requires stocking some forage fish that are to big for the predators to eat (ie 6+ inch BG).

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Back to the top again. Bob if you read this forgive me. I was writing as fast as I could but didn't get all the info down! So I'm thinking our plan is to add Tilapia as an additional forage base to prevent the growing population of existing forage to continue to expand and then add the mature bass. So what would you recommend we add, poundage wise for both the Tilapia and the bass? Also looking into the addition of an aeration system. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hopefully my pictures show up!

Attached Images
Lake & Lodge 4.jpg Lake & Lodge 5.jpg Lake & lodge2.jpg

Billy Klemstein
S
S
Nice BOW and wow, huge lovely lodge!. Definitely don't want my wife to see that. She already has visions of turning our 1900 era barn into a cabin.

I stocked our new pond with 2-3" BG and FHM in March of 13, then put fingerling LMB and CC in the late fall. By the time the predators were stocked we had a pond full of FHM and some YOY BG in the 2" range. Not a lot of that size, because likely only a few of the most mature fish spawned very early in the summer. But lots and lots of 1" BG fish. We did supplemental feed the BG and FHM, even grinding up pellets and feeding the tiny fry around the edges of the pond. I think that helped speed up progress.

So from my experience, even giving those BG and FHM a half year head start can make a lot of difference in what is out there for forage for the fingerling predators. Not only the fish forage, but the pond really came along with the other resident critters like dragon fly larvae, frogs and tadpoles, etc. etc. Have some FA now around the edge of the pond and it is literally teaming with life. All sorts of tiny worms, snails, larva of different types. All this in just over a year from stocking the first fish. We stocked the FHM and BG when the pond was still filling and had not reached full pool yet, but we had wheat planted in the bottom and got lots of algae from the very beginning.

Just to let you know what we did and the results, so you have the information to use as you think best if it applies in your situation.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, I'm not about to step in where Mama Lusks little boy Bob has been treading but am curious. Did you dye the water or is that natural?

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
OK, I'm not about to step in where Mama Lusks little boy Bob has been treading but am curious. Did you dye the water or is that natural?

Dave that is the natural color. Hard to believe. It is straight well water feeding it.

Billy Klemstein

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
My First
by H20fwler - 05/06/24 04:29 AM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by BarkyDoos - 05/05/24 11:33 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 11:23 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?