Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
mpc Offline
M
Hi CB1, Thanks for the update and it is all much clearer now. I hope that I will still try this system the way you have yours set up but with bait fish maybe. The pond water recycling was the dream idea and kill two birds with one stone approach. I did not know about others here on PB who utilize aquaponics but I will be looking for the info and on the other site as well. I have time before I start. Good fish growing to you.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Hey Cecil, I remember seeing your empty boxes when I picked ya up to go to Essups and thinking that you sure had a long way to go. Well you've gone and it sure looks great. Congrats and thanks for the fine documenting and pics. If ya get an extra day when ya come to Fl this spring maybe ya can stop over and do some Talapia fishin with me.

Sounds good to me Bob!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: mpc
Hi CB1, Thanks for the update and it is all much clearer now. I hope that I will still try this system the way you have yours set up but with bait fish maybe. The pond water recycling was the dream idea and kill two birds with one stone approach. I did not know about others here on PB who utilize aquaponics but I will be looking for the info and on the other site as well. I have time before I start. Good fish growing to you.

No problem. Keep us posted.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Great thread Cecil! smile

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah Cecil, nice!

I was browsing the website you posted last night. Didn't that use to have a different name? Almost signed up!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Phil,

Yes it did. We had some problems with Google. Seems Google was putting us down the list because we didn't pay for something or other. I didn't really understand it. When you did a search for the original "Aquaculture Headquarters" you couldn't find it, or there were other sites with similar names. One of our members "Kellen" revamped the site and came up with a different name and it's better than ever.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well the outside raft tank tomato plants and the tomatoes they started to produce are history. Too difficult to transplant inside due to massive roots all inter-twined, and the greenhouse plastic I used to line the inside tank let me down. I folded the plastic over three times to line the indoor tank. First the top layer balooned up. Then after the second layer ballooned I decided it was a no go. If the bottom layer of plastic leaked in the basement, while I was asleep, it would not only create a heck of a mess it would drain my fish tank. Not worth the risk.

The plan is to get a good epdm liner and use the inside tank this spring to get starter plants going for the outside system.

I'm actually kind of relieved I won't be burning up 400 watts for the hps lighting along with my 250 watt system heater.

I started too late in the year due to other priorities. Now that I have all the infrastructure it won't be a problem next year.

Live and learn!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/20/14 01:28 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
At least you know everything works and you'll be ready for next season. Good job on the setup and filling us in!!

I'm actually interested in the PVC tube rigs. Seems like they would be easier to construct and work with, but may require more precise level control.

Years ago, I saw one big producer with a rig like this, and it seemed fairly simple. Can't remember the PVC tube sizes they used for various plants tho. Something to spend a day or two looking up.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
When you say pvc tube rings i assume you mean the nutrient film technique (nft) which is used in hydroponics? If so square plastic fence posts work better according to one text I have. Or perhaps i hsve it all wrong as i'm most familiar with raft culture.

One down side to nft is your water has to be really clean of particulates or they clog. Was also told by Myles Harsten at our recent fall aquaculture conference to stay away from the verticle columns as they get clogged with roots.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/19/13 12:52 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
No Cecil, it's an Aquaponics setup at a very large producer.

I'll have to draw a cartoon, but not now.

Is your iPad typing for you? I hate that, and won't use any mobile devices for these purposes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm on the regular puter now. Ipad is slow and annoying as you say.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think your right on the NFT system Cecil.

I was browsing around this morning and that's what the consensus was. The producer I remember was growing herbs and such, which makes sense now. That's what I primarily would like anyway.

It appears that the rectangular trough systems are a new standard which allows for plants with much larger root systems.

I just think they look neat and clean looking. That's all.

My memory is getting sluggish laugh

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Phil,

Yes it did. We had some problems with Google. Seems Google was putting us down the list because we didn't pay for something or other. I didn't really understand it. When you did a search for the original "Aquaculture Headquarters" you couldn't find it, or there were other sites with similar names. One of our members "Kellen" revamped the site and came up with a different name and it's better than ever.

That's me (Kellen)! smile

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Where in the heck have you been? I think you owe us all an explanation, with photos. I'm waiting....

Good to hear from you amigo.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Where in the heck have you been? I think you owe us all an explanation, with photos. I'm waiting....

Thanks bud!

Well... Where should I begin? hehe....

I have been checking in from time to time, but obviously haven't posted much. Jeesh... I just looked back at my post history, and other than a couple of posts here and there, it's been about two years since I've posted regularly on the forum. A big part of the reason for the initial drop off two years ago was due to all the things I had going on that I briefly wrote about here http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20713&Number=265256#Post265256.

Since that post, the healthcare business continued to grow steadily, and the tilapia hatchery expanded a great deal as well. The new home at the pond was finished (we love it), and as expected, my twin boys, now almost 3, quickly set out on their mission to destroy it. I kid, I kid. smile Everything was good... very, very busy... but good.

Then everything just came to an abrupt stop around New Years of this year. One of my favorite fishing buddies, my 17 year old nephew, passed away. Many of the pictures I've posted here on PB in the past feature him proudly holding any number of prize catches from the pond... A pond he also helped me manage, and where he planned to live soon too (on the other side of the pond), with his mother (my sister) and twin brother. I was devastated by his passing. Still now, not a day, maybe not an hour, goes by without me thinking about him. I don't think that will ever change. I sure do miss him. With a lot of help from very dear friends, we were able to keep things going, and I'll be forever in debt to them.

All things considered, things are going pretty well these days. In addition to all the usual projects, business endeavors and family obligations, I recently took on the day to day management of AquaponicsNation.com (formerly AquaponicsHQ.com) from Gary Donaldson. Gary was one of the early pioneers in the aquaponics field and built quite a community. He's quite a guy.

I haven't had much time to fish the pond, but the few times I have, I've done really well. I do really need to learn to slow down at some point, and take some time to enjoy the pond. hehe...

Some things that some of my fellow Pond Meisters might like... I'm planning to build several small recirculating breeding ponds in the Spring. I'll also be renovating a small pond (1/5 acre or so) soon at my parents' place. Going to do something "different" as far as stocking goes, but not entirely sure of the exact mix yet. I intend to post regular updates here as those projects progress. Should be interesting. smile

Hey Cecil, sorry for hijacking your thread man. Of course, that's pretty typical behavior for me, eh...

Last edited by Weissguy; 11/21/13 10:37 PM.

F
F
Wow! I feel like I must be moving in slow-mo. I just got back from a Nelson & Pade 3 day course on Aquaponics, and look forward to your posts Cecil! Now I have to look for more.

Rob C

Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Thanks bud!

Well... Where should I begin? hehe....

I have been checking in from time to time, but obviously haven't posted much. Jeesh... I just looked back at my post history, and other than a couple of posts here and there, it's been about two years since I've posted regularly on the forum. A big part of the reason for the initial drop off two years ago was due to all the things I had going on that I briefly wrote about here http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20713&Number=265256#Post265256.

Since that post, the healthcare business continued to grow steadily, and the tilapia hatchery expanded a great deal as well. The new home at the pond was finished (we love it), and as expected, my twin boys, now almost 3, quickly set out on their mission to destroy it. I kid, I kid. smile Everything was good... very, very busy... but good.

Then everything just came to an abrupt stop around New Years of this year. One of my favorite fishing buddies, my 17 year old nephew, passed away. Many of the pictures I've posted here on PB in the past feature him proudly holding any number of prize catches from the pond... A pond he also helped me manage, and where he planned to live soon too (on the other side of the pond), with his mother (my sister) and twin brother. I was devastated by his passing. Still now, not a day, maybe not an hour, goes by without me thinking about him. I don't think that will ever change. I sure do miss him. With a lot of help from very dear friends, we were able to keep things going, and I'll be forever in debt to them.

All things considered, things are going pretty well these days. In addition to all the usual projects, business endeavors and family obligations, I recently took on the day to day management of AquaponicsNation.com (formerly AquaponicsHQ.com) from Gary Donaldson. Gary was one of the early pioneers in the aquaponics field and built quite a community. He's quite a guy.

I haven't had much time to fish the pond, but the few times I have, I've done really well. I do really need to learn to slow down at some point, and take some time to enjoy this place. hehe...

Some things that some of my fellow Pond Meisters might like... I'm planning to build several small recirculating breeding ponds in the Spring. I'll also be renovating a small pond (1/5 acre or so) soon at my parents' place. Going to do something "different" as far as stocking goes, but not entirely sure of the exact mix yet. I intend to post regular updates here as those projects progress. Should be interesting. smile

Hey Cecil, sorry for hijacking your thread man. Of course, that's pretty typical behavior for me, eh...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Weissguy

No worries!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday