Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,959
Posts557,926
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (gautprod, Fishingadventure, Knobber, Groundhog7, Jward87, Theo Gallus, DrewSh), 1,056 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#345211 07/26/13 08:17 AM
KoonDog Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone.

I just registered to try and learn everything I can about eventually having a recreational pond built on 11 acres my daughters and I own near Armuchee, GA. It's in the Floyd Springs area with land dry as a bone part of the year, and of course marshy in areas at other times.

I'm a 52 year old retired Marine and divorced Dad who thinks BEING a Dad to three grown daughters is better than anything else in this world.

A few years ago a neighbor floated the idea of building a pond, with the dam on my property, that would span both of our long, thin tracts. We think it would be no more than two acres in size. We're working with a lawyer now to finalize the operating and easement agreement.

I immediately see some of the challenges people have faced properly working through the design/authorize/build process and the many required agencies, but that's what I intend to do.

I guess my biggest concern is paying to have a hole dug that won't hold water. I've heard the importance of a clay base dam, and the porosity of the soil in the area (if that's the right term). I hope to answer questions I have for myself, before getting too involved with contractors, about the size of the "rainwater catchment area" necessary to keep a pond full (11 acres per acre of pond area?), if a well would help keep a pond full that wouldn't stay full otherwise, how water tables and occasional springs come into play, stuff like that. And this would be a free standing pond; there's no stream that would be dammed. Rain and spring water, I guess, would be the only water source.

I figure I'll be overwhelmed for quite a while trying to learn what I can. I'm not in any rush, though. I'll go slow and methodically. This certainly looks like the right site to learn from, though!

KoonDog

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum!

The one huge drawback to a shared pond is: What happens if your neighbor sells and some butthead buys it?

Personal choice here, but I'd rather have a 1 ac pond that was completely mine rather than share a 2 ac pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Welcome to the forum from a fellow north west Ga. member and THANKS for your service to our country. You'll find many other members that are former military here. Congrats on finding the best place on the web for info about ponds. If you get started reading, you'll find this site can get very addictive and is full of all of the info your gonna need. The folks here are friendly and full of stories that will help Ya out. Good luck on your plans, having a place to spend time with your young ones, or theirs, will make memories that you all will carry forever. PM me if you want to come over and drown a little bait a few counties over, about 50 mile as a crow flies.

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
KoonDog Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome esshup!

Great point about sharing a pond. We've actually tried to address that in the "POND RECIPROCAL EASEMENT AND OPERATING AGREEMENT" a lawyer drew up. Since the dam is on my property, the entire, legally enforceable decision to have a pond or not is mine; I can remove it at any time as long as I'm willing to return the land to the previous state.

Probably more than that, though, my great neighbor has owned and will own his property in the area for a really long time, and it'll stay in his family. Same with mine/ours. Between my three daughters and I, we have a right of first refusal agreement in place among us too. All in all, we think Southern neighborliness and the desire to keep land in the families for a very long time will keep things in order. If not, though, the lawyer said things are in order in case one set of parties sells.

Last edited by KoonDog; 07/27/13 04:15 PM.

KoonDog Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: taz1313
Welcome to the forum from a fellow north west Ga. member and THANKS for your service to our country.

Thank you taz. It's an honor serving this country.

Appreciate the invite, too. I'm in northern Virginia until we get that land fully developed, but it could be any year now I get down there for good. I bush hog ten cleared acres and visit with one daughter in Rome a couple times a year, usually.

T
T
PM sent. grin

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
KoonDog Offline OP
OP Offline
Steadily learning from this fine site.

Gotta start at the top with an Army Corps of Engineers look-see, it seems.

Attached Images
Pond and Land Snapshot.jpg

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to posting on PB. Thanks for your service. My brother is retired infantry.

Have your lawyer consider an option in your favor to buy the other guy out.

KoonDog Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ewest
Welcome to posting on PB. Thanks for your service. My brother is retired infantry.

Have your lawyer consider an option in your favor to buy the other guy out.

Thank you sir. It's an honor to serve. Something the ground-pounders like your brother know well.

Good advice with the lawyer. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:22 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 05:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM
Need help