Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,266
Members18,516
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
7 members (Brian S., phinfan, DaveS, Joe7328, catscratch, TEC, Foozle), 1,211 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#343387 07/12/13 05:15 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The last two years have been very intense for friends and neighbors getting Lyme disease. All are friends I hunt and fish with.

Here is a link to an excellent article that all of us outdoors-type people should read. It very well discusses the issues my friends and I have seen first hand. Be Very Afraid of Lyme Disease

My first encounter with Lyme disease was shortly after it was first discovered in Lyme, CT. My wife's family lives in that part of NY state and CT. Deer run rampant in that area. It is suburban, and with a lot of wilderness in between.

About 10 years ago, my father-in-law thought he had rather suddenly developed really bad rheumatoid arthritis. He felt awful. He was told that he may need hip and knee replacements. He was a retired state trooper who still swam and worked out seven days a week. He also spent a fair amount of time in his garden. He had to give all of that up, that summer.

This went on for a number of months before he was finally diagnosed with Lyme disease. At that time he lived in Mt. Kisco, NY, very near to where the author of the above cited article lives. Because it had gone undetected for so long, it took quite some time to get it under control.

Since last fall, about when deer season started, we've had at least 10 friends contract Lyme disease. Only one was quickly diagnosed when his doctor saw the "bullseye" and my friend told him it was where he had removed a deer tick. It was very possible that it was from a deer that I butchered. I removed two deer ticks on the evening after skinning and quartering a deer from this friend.

Four friends have gone through hell in about the last two months because of misdiagnosis, and unwillingness by their doctors to test for, or believe in, Lyme disease. All were initially diagnosed with unidentifiable illnesses. One was diagnosed with a kidney problem and another with a prostate problem and arthritis. The other two were basically undiagnosed for anything identifiable, except for fever and aching bodies.

All have recovered after the Lyme disease diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime, three of them missed many days of work. The fourth is retired.

The deer ticks are very small.

I check myself fairly closely each evening before my shower. I've got chickens and I've got guinea fowl which may also help keep the population down on our property.

If you find you've got a fever, very achy joints, and feel just awful -- push hard for a Lyme disease test.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My wife contracted Lyme disease 20 years ago and went through the same BS. It nearly killed her due to heart problems. She still suffers from achy joints 20 years after a 30-day antibiotic treatment after she insisted on a test. How come we have made so little progress?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This might sound wierd but a guy I work with hasn't been able to eat red meat since a tick bite about 10 yrs ago.. He also runs a deer/meat processing store out of his shop and his family has a well known very old butcher processing shop in St. Louis that was recently closed (due to gubment fees and jumping through loops according to him) sad for him he loves all kinda of meat and will put his self through absolute hell and eat it a couple times a year then his whole body starts to lock up and he gets sicker than a dog..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 07/12/13 06:26 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Tick bites have been established to be associated with meat allergy. It is not clear why.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2009/190/...-allergy-humans

Last edited by RAH; 07/12/13 06:53 PM.
J
J
Tick fever has been a huge problem in Oklahoma this year.

R
R
Something to keep in mind is that the blood test that your doc may be reluctant to give you is about as reliable as the weatherman. Misdiagnosis all the time. People get a 'positive' result and think its the end of the world, and they don't even have it. Others get a negative result, and their health continues to go downhill, until they get a second opinion, guess what....positive. Just happened to my dad, and my wife takes care of this stuff in her job.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It still amazes me how stubborn and narrow minded some doctors are. I too know of someone whose doctor refused to test for Lyme's disease and finally did and lo and behold the man had it.

I also know a taxidermist/ furbuyer that contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and her doctor absolutely refused to test for it. When he finally did it came back positive.

Had a doctor once that bascially told me I'm the doctor and shut up. I fired him.

Sorry arrogance is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/12/13 10:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: redbank
Something to keep in mind is that the blood test that your doc may be reluctant to give you is about as reliable as the weatherman. Misdiagnosis all the time. People get a 'positive' result and think its the end of the world, and they don't even have it. Others get a negative result, and their health continues to go downhill, until they get a second opinion, guess what....positive. Just happened to my dad, and my wife takes care of this stuff in her job.

Perhaps a second test is in order to verify?

On a funny note my wife and I went fishing on our honeymoon to Quabbin reservoir Massachusetts. Ticks are thick out there and while we were fishing I noticed a red bullseye on her thigh. I freaked! Turns out it was the imprint of the butt of the fishing rod as she was standing it on her leg!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/12/13 10:25 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Anyone have a picture of the "bullseye" bite???

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We used to have a lot of ticks and chiggers. I sprayed every time I left the house. Then drought set in and I haven't even seen a tick on a deer in quite some time. I guess drought has at least one benefit.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
I don't have a clue why, but have never seen a tick on any of my family at my house. Plenty of deer though! None on the dog that we have seen, though she has longish fur so easy to miss.

About 15 years ago I was big into mountain biking, and had a rough summer of not feeling 100 percent and has very achy joints. For at least one week I could barely open and close my hands. I finally made a doctors appointment and the day before the symptoms went away and never came back. I had not heard of Lyme's disease at the time, but I sure wondered!

We have some friends a few miles from us who contracted it and it took a long time for them to get rid of it.

It would be nice if a vaccine were developed, but probably not enough money in it like the fight against obesity.

R
R
Just a few weeks ago when getting out of our hot tub I noticed a mark on my wifes' side, like from the jet hitting her a giving that welt on her skin. Well a few days later I saw it was still there. That ain't from the hot tub. A few weeks of antibiotics and it's all better. What's funny to me is she had some aches and pains while going through this, but they said the lymes wasn't to the aches and pains stage yet. IT was the antibiotics that was giving her the pains. crazy

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
In addition to the other symptoms, heart problems can develop if it is not treated for a long time. This is what happened to my wife. She went from an incredibly fit and active person to an invalid. It took 30 days of antibiotics to start to see a significant improvement and years to reach a plateau in the recovery.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
There's some weird stuff out there. I know a guy that was visiting relatives in Georgia and came down with a virus that effected only his heart. Make it race at 120 beats a minute while he was just sitting there.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Cecil, tell your friend that a virus that attacks only the heart is a very serious condition. Its very hard to treat a virus (if possible) and it could lead to cardiomyopathy(sp). A very dangerous ailment!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One of our dogs, Boone, got diagnosed with Lyme disease a few months back.

We got back from vacation, and upon seeing Boone, we could tell that his left front paw was swollen. Basically, he had no space between his toes on that paw, especially compared to his right front paw.

He was not favoring the paw at all and had no reaction when you probed it.

The Vet x-rayed it and saw nothing, so he did a blood test for Lyme and it came back positive.

A month long treatment of antibiotics, and the swelling is gone.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Boone's front left paw kind of looked like what you'd see on a stuffed animal.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I once read that ticks seem to cycle through mice and are sensitive to permethrin. Permethrin somehow binds to cotton.

Military personnel, in tick infested areas, soak their cotton field uniforms in a permethrin solution and tuck their trousers into their boots. Ticks crawling on the cloth get a lethal dose of permethrin. Outdoorsmen could follow that example, keeping in mind that permethrin doesn't seem to bind to synthetic fibers.

Cotton balls soaked in a permethrin solution, dried and packed into the cardboard centers of paper towel or toilet paper rolls then put around in places accessible to mice allows the mice to gather them up to line their nests. This, of course, exposes the ticks that are on the mice to a lethal dose of permethrin.

This information and the necessary materials are available online.

L
L
Hey, that is an awesome idea with the mouse nest building materials.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I agree, Squid, and I regret being unable to take credit for thinking up that one.

A friend of mine once summed up my category when he said, "If you can't use your head, you might as well have two patooties." Such is the misfortune of some of us.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
does the permethrin kill the mice? If so, that would be a "win-win"

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Doesn't affect the mice. I've read that permethrin and cats aren't a good mix but I don't know details.

L
L
The problem is we would have a lot of Permethrin insulation in our house before long. Been at the house for years trying to block mice. Only have reduced their numbers.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I use permethrin on one set of clothes, that I TRY and wear everytime I know I'll be in tick and chigger areas. It does seem to help, and it's supposed to last for a few washings.

Per Dudley, the bottle is quite adamant about the dangers of exposing cats to permethrin, however.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
On the cat thing, like ponds, it depends on your objectives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by highflyer - 05/05/24 05:06 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/05/24 03:53 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel