Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#343214 07/11/13 01:14 PM
P
PaPond Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have a friend who has a well stocked 1 acre pond in North East Pennsylvania which had a nice population of large mouth bass, bluegills, crappie, and yellow perch. Then along came a generous friend and offered him 3 large walleyes (over 24" in size) for his pond. That was 2 years ago, this is the third summer with them in the pond.

The walleye moved right into the new role of top dog in the pond and since then he cannot catch anything, the walleye have done a number on his fish population to the point where he can't catch anything. He can't catch the walleye either, apparently they have more to eat in the pond so his lures don't seem to matter.

I told him the only sure way he could catch the walleye was by electrofishing the pond, although if they have established themselves and are breeding it complicates things a bit. Are there any other options, like a gotta eat it walleye lure? I have no idea what the electrofishing method would cost him but he would like to try other options first, he seems skeptical that his fish would ever wake up after being electroshocked, although he wouldn't care if the walleye didn't recover.

Last edited by PaPond; 07/11/13 01:16 PM.

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
How old is this pond? I would consider the possibility that there is something else effecting the dynamics of this pond. I can't imagine three walleye, even large ones, would outcompete an established largemouth population.

P
PaPond Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The pond is a good 15 years old but he does not do any supplemental feeding, it is as he puts it 'au naturale.

I have been to his place for a picnic before the walleye were added and we caught over a dozen bass, put the largest in a cage until we were done fishing, and released them to keep up the breeding. The bass we kept were of a healthy weight to length ratio. He claims he did that a few times every summer. After the walleye went in the bass haul got progressively smaller until now nothing is taking the worm.

He claims all that has changed is the walleye and, as he put it, since his way of managing the pond is minimalist, it isn't from something he did.

If there are only 3 WYE in the pond you could be in for a pretty tough challenge. I usually vertically jig for them with as light of a jig as possible that allows you to feel the bottom of the lake with a minnow on the hook. The problem with fishing for Walleye for me has been finding the depth of water that they are feeding at. This method is the only way I have ever needed to fish for them. Some people troll with worm harnesses, but I like to sit in one place and relax and just drift with the wind tapping the jig on the bottom once every 5-10 seconds.

In my experience the best way to catch a walleye or just about any other fish is this:

1 - set out the bait of your choice - bobber, tightline, whatever.

2 - step approximately 1-2 steps away from the pole

3 - grab a sandwich in one hand, a beer (or beverage of your choice) in the other, and if possible have your cell phone ring and/or your fishing buddy distract you

You will immediately hook a fish. Now whether or not you CATCH said fish is based on a number of variables. Are you willing to drop your sandwich/beer/phone, jump partially in the water to save your pole, etc.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I agree with Omaha that 3 walleye even 24"+ ones will not outcompete the LMB and eliminate or dramatically impact the fishery. However the walleye might eat some of the fingerling and yearling LMB and perch. I think something else is going on in this pond. A 15 yr old pond is at a point in its fishery life where fish imbalance very often occurs due to improper management. Also maybe LMB are getting hook smart which is a common occurrence especially if some of the LMB recruitment has been hampered by a 2nd predator (WE). If LMB are essentially gone there should be scads of small fish 1"-3" around the edges which indicates lack of smaller LMB (6"-8"). The 3 big walleye will not focus on eating small BCP, YP BG until the favored prey is eliminated or scace.

I would not waste my money on depending on electroshocking to remove walleye. Electroshocking works well in shallow water and walleye often inhabit deeper water when in ponds especially if there is a noisy electroshock boat on the surface. My money is on the fact that not all three walleye survived transplanting - maybe 1 or 2 survived at best. Been there tried that. Large adult walleye do not transport well depending on the skill of the transporter.
I would take a bucket of FHM to the pond and use them for bait. I will bet the angling success changes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/11/13 04:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
PaPond Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So I guess you're saying a bucket of minnows is the gotta eat it walleye lure. Well nothing can be simpler than that, thanks for the advice.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
In Bill Cody's pond, use his minnows.....

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The minnows for bait are primarily to catch the other species of fish that are supposedly not present. You will probably not catch the walleye but you will sure find out that the bass are not as rare as once thought.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
After catching and caging the LMB a number of times, I suspect that the LMB that he caught are now hook shy too. I second the "fish with live bait" suggestion.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
We do best using FHM for WE'S approx. a hour before dark and even an hour after dark sometimes. But we've also caught them in the middle of the afternoon also. Sometimes its a hit and miss game.

I have a 3/4 acre pond an hour from you same species of fish except have a few catfish, and koi. I have at least 2 dozen walleye 10 - 22". Very easy to catch with a big black jig head w/ worm hooked through head looks like a mister twister moving.
I have very hard to catch LMB. Been trying to get out for 5 years. Will not take any lures, or live bait day, or night. Keep knocking the population down to about a dozen 6" to 6#. This is when they spawn near shore have to snag them. After a few that doesn`t work either.

R
RER Offline
R
I had to use a cast net when mine got near shore..
If you can see them spawnign in shallows toss a cast net over the bed...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Thanks for the tip. I will have to look into that. Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...