Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hello all, been lurking trying to take in as much info as I can, but feel I need a little help than I'm able to locate myself..

My family has had this pond for about 40 years if not more. It has always been there to give the cows a place to get a drink, cool off from the summer heat. The pond is home to huge croaking bull frogs, dinner plate sized turtles and a breeding pair of ducks. It's what you'd call a "nutrient rich environment"

The pond is only about 1/3 acre or so, but as you can see from the pics, there's not too much to enjoy.

My Dad bought a half dozen grass carp a few months back, but a few died and the rest haven't really seemed to do much (if they even survived at all). He was asking me to buy him a "Weed Razer" and to look for a decently priced aerator to install, but I figured we might be better off asking for some advice before throwing away money.

I greatly appreciate any advice at all!

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Oh, I forgot to mention, the round hay bale that one of our bulls rolled into the pond from about 300 yards away, that wasn't on purpose!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks like Filamentous Algae (FA) and possibly some Duckweed (DW) and maybe Watermeal (WM)?

Go here, and see how close I am, as it's hard to tell 100% from the pictures.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Fence the livestock away from the pond and install a waterer. There are some available that pump from a pond using "cow-power" (their noses are used to operate the pump).

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By: esshup
Looks like Filamentous Algae (FA) and possibly some Duckweed (DW) and maybe Watermeal (WM)?

Go here, and see how close I am, as it's hard to tell 100% from the pictures.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/

I think you're probably about right.

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By: RAH
Fence the livestock away from the pond and install a waterer. There are some available that pump from a pond using "cow-power" (their noses are used to operate the pump).

I can suggest that to my Dad, but I doubt it will happen, He likes giving the cows a place to get in and cool off.

I know it will be an uphill battle but, to be honest, the water running off our pastures will still run into the pond no matter what we do with fences.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
You have an excess nutrient issue

Any solution will involve diverting those nutrients away from the pond, or having something else utilize them

You can treat your current weed/algae/ etc issues. But some other weed/ algae etc will pop up to utilize the excess nutrients. Nature won't let nutrients go unused

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By: gallop
You have an excess nutrient issue

Any solution will involve diverting those nutrients away from the pond, or having something else utilize them

You can treat your current weed/algae/ etc issues. But some other weed/ algae etc will pop up to utilize the excess nutrients. Nature won't let nutrients go unused

I don't doubt you for a second. This pond has always had issues, whether from having about a million bullhead in there taking over or weeds and algae, it has always been something (except for when my Grandfather shocked the entire pond at once, it was clear for a while then!)

I was thinking about getting some "Sonar" to get rid of the surface weeds, since it apparently still allows the cattle to drink the water.

I was reading the many posts about stocking the pond with blue tilapia, which sounds like a great solution, but I don't think they would survive very long here, our temperatures don't stay this warm for long enough.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fluridone "Sonar" will work on the DW and WM, but not on the FA.

If Tilapia are legal, then I'd go that route. Stock them as soon as possible when the water temp is above 60°F.

Go here to measure your pond.

If you can get Tilapia, I'd stock them at the rate of 50#-60# (or more) per surface acre. Yes, a little heavy, but with the nutrient load, you'll need more than usual to stay ahead of the green stuff that's growing. Remove as many as possible when they die off in the Fall to get out the nutrients that they stored as they ate the plants/algae. Mother Natures clean-up crew will do a good job too, but any help you can offer her will be a good thing.

Definately a nutrient problem, but other than bringing in equipment and digging out all the muck and accumulated nutrients, I think a heavy dose of Tilapia is the way to go.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
You cows and pond will be healthier if the cows are kept out of the water. Is your dad a hobby farmer? Does he consult the county agent?

Last edited by RAH; 07/05/13 01:24 PM.
Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
You cows and pond will be healthier if the cows are kept out of the water. Is your dad a hobby farmer? Does he consult the county agent?

Our farm has been here since the 30s. Someone could take offense to such a comment.

Fluridone "Sonar" will work on the DW and WM, but not on the FA.

If Tilapia are legal, then I'd go that route. Stock them as soon as possible when the water temp is above 60°F.

Go here to measure your pond.

If you can get Tilapia, I'd stock them at the rate of 50#-60# (or more) per surface acre. Yes, a little heavy, but with the nutrient load, you'll need more than usual to stay ahead of the green stuff that's growing. Remove as many as possible when they die off in the Fall to get out the nutrients that they stored as they ate the plants/algae. Mother Natures clean-up crew will do a good job too, but any help you can offer her will be a good thing.

Definately a nutrient problem, but other than bringing in equipment and digging out all the muck and accumulated nutrients, I think a heavy dose of Tilapia is the way to go.

Thanks for the informative post, I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited by ZiggyJr; 07/05/13 01:37 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
No offense intended. Its just that hobby farmers are sometimes less interested in best management practices, and more interest in the percieved happiness of the farm animals (its all about objectives). Cows (and pigs) like to wallow and seem to enjoy it immensly. They can actually contribute to sealing a pond if it leaks. They are great compactors smile

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
According to that tool, the pond is only about 1/8th acre, just under 500 sqm.

Thanks for the link, that will help tremendously.

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z

Figured I might as well mention, we do have a backhoe, I could probably talk him into digging some of it out if you really think it'll help.

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
No offense intended. Its just that hobby farmers are sometimes less interested in best management practices, and more interest in the percieved happiness of the farm animals (its all about objectives). Cows (and pigs) like to wallow and seem to enjoy it immensly. They can actually contribute to sealing a pond if it leaks. They are great compactors smile

Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but when I hear someone ask if you're a hobby farmer, it sounds condescending. About the equivalent of "Oh that's cute, he thinks he's a farmer".

I understand that the cows getting in the water will make it harder to keep it clean, and we will just have to work harder to make it work.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am a hobby farmer. I make money at it, but it does not pay the bills. Most of my ground is being developed as wildlife habitat which affects how I farm more than maximizing profits. My profits get dumped back into wildlife enhancements. I am kinda proud to be a hobby farmer.

Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Gotcha, well then I guess the answer would be yes, we all have "day jobs" to pay the bills. I wouldn't say we ever MAKE money off of it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ZiggyJr
Figured I might as well mention, we do have a backhoe, I could probably talk him into digging some of it out if you really think it'll help.

It'd definately help. The nutrients build up over years and years, and just keep getting recycled. Removing them is the only way to help (long term). Tilapia remove the nutrients by getting themselves removed from the pond by scavengers and by us in the Fall, but a backhoe would really speed up the process. Dig out as much muck as possible, and put it where rain won't wash it or the nutrients back into the pond. I realize that it might be hard to do considering the slope of the property, but do the best job you can.

It'd help if you were to pump water out so you aren't digging in the water and stirring things up. Even if you can drain it dry and have a water trough for the cattle while the pond is dry, it'll be better than working in the slop.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Nothing wrong with a hobby, and nothing wrong with wanting your animals to be happy. If production efficiency and optimum livestock health were your dad's main objectives, then there might be a chance that the county agent could explain the advantages of fencing the cows away from the water, but if quality of life for the animals is a priority, then a swimming hole for them may just be a good use of the water.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If you have a backhoe, fence off the pond and dig a watering hole for the Cows..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Z
ZiggyJr Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
We aren't fencing off the pond, any solutions involving that are just wasted thoughts.

I'll talk to him about both the backhoe and the tilapia, thanks!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sounds like my dad. Best of luck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I hear you on the fence, but that would be the best solution. But, since that's off the table, talk to him about the backhoe and check to see if Tilapia are legal to stock in your pond. Each state varies in it's "legal to stock" fish, even in a private pond.

If that's a no-go, then I'd look into the Sonar and an algaecide that is safe for livestock. The FA will be a constant problem. According to Malone and Sons, young grass carp will eat FA, but change to vascular plants when they get larger. If Tilapia aren't an option, then look into Triploid Grass Carp.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
F
I am wondering if some kind of "skimmer" that could be pulled across the surface might help. Pond seems small enough and a better shape for that. Should also help remove some nutrients.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Howdy, Ziggy-
I've got a similar situation with two small cowponds which I have casually tried to rehab a bit, thinking they might be good bait producers. One is about1/10 acre, and looks just like yours-EXTREMELY nutrient rich [why do cows always seem to pee in a pond?]
A couple years ago, we dug it out to about 5'deep, and I did add some tilapia-which seemed to disappear without a trace.
I wonder, in such an incredibly rich environment, if there aren't very wide swings in 02 levels. For example, if there is a huge amount of algae and other photosynthetic lifeforms, when the cows muddy the water, will photosynthetic activity be reduced, and a DO crash follow as the plants continue respiratory activity?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First