Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
OP Offline
Y
My pond is about 20 to 25 feet deep when full. I stocked it and now my water smells like fish. Will aerating reduce the smell and top of water is very warm. go down about ten feet and it is cold I want to put togather a system cheep maby 2 stations any ideas where to go online

details details.

Yes aeration will help, but without the details about your ponds size , shape, depths, and where your water comes from, sizing will not be possible. About the costs, you can simplify the process and build your own, but expect to pay for your parts.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What's your budget is the main thing..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Y
OP Offline
Y
I am expecting to spend some money. I have been quoted 1700 but would like to build one cheaper. My pond is over a acker it is about 20 feet deep the banks are very steep go out 4 feet and its chest deep. It was a natural ditch about 15 feet deep and 30 feet wide. I live at bottom of a hill and alot of run off feeds pond. pond was built about 8 years age but rebuilt 2 years ago. this go round I had it stocked with 650 high fin blues 100 hybrid strips 1000 perch 50 lbs of shiners and 50 lbs of fat head minnows. Now we swim in it and water smells like fish. will aeration help smell. My pond is u shaped bottom part of u being 150x250 fingers are about 40 feet wide

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC built a system that looks pretty good. PM sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Aeration will help the smell but prolly not completely eliminate it.. How far away from the pond is electricity.. I have a thread on my build but I can't remember what it was called I build mine for about 1/3 of the cost from a proffesional and its basically the same.. Look up RC51's thread his is pretty popular for smaller ponds that'll get you started, I'd run weighted hose from the beginning of the waters edge to save you alot of headache..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Y
OP Offline
Y
i have power about 10 feet from edge of water.

RC51's system was for shallower water. I looked at doing it for a 12-14' deep pond and decided I wouldnt get enough out of the air pump he was using. Now if you upgrade that, no reason that I can see that you can't buy it in pieces and put it together yourself...

John

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think that with a system that is sized for the pond, the smell will be eliminated. Oxygen does wonders!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The smell is not from the fish but from the algae in the water that the fish were in when you stocked the pond. Fish farms never tell you that their water is algae infested. Fish farms often have algae in their ponds that have various odors - fishy is a common one. You put that water in your pond and expect to have more odors in the water. Some of those smelly algae can also be introduced naturally via various ways that Mother Nature uses to distribute her life forms from habitat to habitat. Generally the smaller the organism the easier it gets transported. You will not get fishy smells from fish unless you have lots of dead fish. Live fish usually have very little odor unless the water has that fishy algae in it.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/30/13 02:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Y
OP Offline
Y
wow fish smell did not come till I stocked it and I can see the algae coming from the farm. so what do I do to get rid of the algae creating the dead fish smell. is there a chemical I can get pour it in like pond dye I have put in a thousand pounds of granulated lime and pond is very clean you can see about a foot deep. I have spent a lot of money trying to get clean now it smells

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mine is aerated more than was recommended and I still get the fishy smell, there's way to many variables to know if aeration alone will fix it or if you can completely "eliminate" it.. Aeration will definately do more good than bad.. I'd suggest talking to one of the resident aeration experts and get a pond analysis done with them too correctly fit a system to your pond they can do it via satellite and a few questions and measurements I think most are free too.. Ted Lea? Sue kruz? Greg grimes I believe all can do it.. Also Bill Cody has a wealth of knowledge on DIY aeration..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My experience is fishy smell will come and go as the algae causing the smells grows-blooms and then subsides. You can use algaecides to trim the bloom back but you will never get it all eliminated once it is seeded into your pond. I think the best you can hope for is that other low smelly algae become established and thrive and keep the fishy stuff at a low density where it is not so noticeable.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Check your Private Messages...I just sent you a recommendation.

thanks,

Daniel

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump