Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, Boondoggle, phinfan), 958 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
Hello and Greetings to everyone from Overton Fisheries!!

This message serves to inform you of some very important TPWD regulations on Mozambique Tilapia, and to provide you with a phone # and email link where you can voice your comments and concerns about this issue.

The TPWD recently clarified an existing regulation for the industry. They made it clear that Mozambique Tilapia are indeed legal to stock in Texas private waters without a permit, HOWEVER, YOU MAY NOT TRANSPORT YOUR OWN MOZAMBIQUE TILAPIA. In essence, you may have these fish delivered by one of our hauling trucks or via a 3rd party transport company ONLY. We feel this regulation is ridiculous. We have built a solid business over the last decade by supplying tilapia via farm pick-up, and the issue is up for public comment before the TPWD makes a ruling on it in August.

So if you are a fan of tilapia and have enjoyed the convenience of picking these fish up at our farm and stocking them yourself, then we need your help the most. Please call or email your comment to Ken Kurzawski at 512-389-4591 or ken.kurzawski@tpwd.texas.gov

Last edited by overtonfisheries; 06/05/13 04:04 PM.

It's ALL about the fish!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I am guessing the "logic" TPWD is using is that farms and professional haulers have the expertise to avoid inadvertent releases...but when is legislation "logical"?

I'm getting fed up with TPWD.

Todd, thanks for the head's up.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Todd, I'll call.

However, I have found that TPWD solicits public opinion and then does whatever they want.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/05/13 08:21 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
W
Will call as well. My short experience with TPWD is that they are indeed only slightly less retarded than Texas department of motor vehicles

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Todd, I'll call.

However, I have found that TPWD solicits public opinion and then does whatever they want.

Good luck folks. That's been my experience with APHIS up here when it came to VHS rules and I hope it isn't yours with TPWD. They have public hearings and then go ahead and do whatever they want. The meetings are just protocol and make it look like they are listening. We're just a bunch of peons.

We have found it best to pursue all avenues to have a chance and that means contacting your state representatives.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Todd, I'll call and I might just stop by and talk to a few nice people as well......where i Austin are they? Thanks.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I just spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Ken at the TPWD. He was pleasant and helpful on the phone. He said that the law has always been that Tilapia must be delivered to and not picked up by private parties. He understands that in practice that is not the situation, but that technically if you were to get pulled over with live Tilapia you can be fined. He made it clear that he does not make the decision, but that he has received lots of feedback in support of the proposed change to the law that would allow transportation by private parties. He said that it probably would require some type of transportation permit or letter authorizing a private party transaction given to you by the distributor.

The best thing we can do to positively influence and enable the change is to look at the TPWD website later this month after the change is registered with the commission and they will post a link to make public comments about the proposed change. The commission won't rule til August and they will collect citizens feedback for the months of June-August until the commission votes on it. He did take my name and is documenting inquiries.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Captain1
He said that it probably would require some type of transportation permit or letter authorizing a private party transaction given to you by the distributor.

Thanks Captain will do on the website public comments feedback, and I better leave it at that, otherwise NannyState-ism will infuriate me even more than I already am! cool

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Indiana did the same thing a few years ago on new deer hunting regs and seasons. There was such an outcry from sportsmen that they shelved the proposal and formulated one around the suggestions that the public had. We all were suprised that they actually listened.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes surprising our state of Indiana does listen at times Scott. They also have a mind set of not creating too many regs or not making things complicated as it can be a pain on their side too. Hope it stays that way.

Permits tend to be free too as far as fish related things. A pathologist in WI once told me me if regs get too strangling or costly, people just go under the radar and it negates the purpose of the regs in the first place.

Goog luck in Texas and don't forget to contact your state reps. It really does make a difference.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 01:48 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
S
Just sent Ken an email....our lake is being dredged within the next month to remove build up and we're waiting to get our tilapia. Don't want to pay anymore than we have to and you're on our way from dtr's home in Dallas.

K
K
hope you folks at overton don't mind if i post this on another message board?

I just got off the phone with Ken and so far it looks good for the proposal that would allow us to transport Tilapia under the direction of the permit holder. After the proposal is sent forward and registered there will be a public comment period. The site for those comments is here:

TPWD Comment Site

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Al -- we welcome friendly people like you in WV. I'd love to have more tilapia supporters join me as the nearly lone voice in the West Virginia Aquaculture Association, regarding using tilapia in ponds. It took me nearly 6 years of harping to get state approval saying they are OK in private ponds.

WV is a beautiful place with fantastic waters and incredible mountains full of fish and wildlife -- and the friendliest people you will find anywhere. Todd3138 and I may beat on you about it when we see you at the next Pond Boss regional gathering!

Unfortunately, it is just a lot cooler here in the summer, we have a lot fewer rattlesnakes, and we get a lot more rain than in Texas.

Ken grin cry grin

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
More snow in the winter too!

Speaking of rain, what does it mean when the highest amount of rainfall "color" in a storm is red on the chart, but at my house it's a reddish brown on the radar? As long as the 60-90 mph winds (or higher rotating winds) stay away, I'm a happy camper.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Additional point for my Texas friends, remember that you can also contact your local legislative rep and they might start nudging as well. May not work, but worth the effort to revise this rule.

John

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Al -- we welcome friendly people like you in WV. I'd love to have more tilapia supporters join me as the nearly lone voice in the West Virginia Aquaculture Association, regarding using tilapia in ponds. It took me nearly 6 years of harping to get state approval saying they are OK in private ponds.

WV is a beautiful place with fantastic waters and incredible mountains full of fish and wildlife -- and the friendliest people you will find anywhere. Todd3138 and I may beat on you about it when we see you at the next Pond Boss regional gathering!

Unfortunately, it is just a lot cooler here in the summer, we have a lot fewer rattlesnakes, and we get a lot more rain than in Texas.

Ken grin cry grin

Ken, if I ever show up with all my cast iron and knife bag, you better clear a room out. Weather here sometimes makes it hard to always love my area. My family, my great friends, and my piece of dirt in the country are all that keep me here.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Al,

Come on up. I think it got darn near 80 degrees today. We had a little rain, and both ponds are at still at full pool. A high of 81 is forecast for tomorrow, and 79 day after that. It is just getting ready for another mountain rain storm.

We have an empty home nearby that is in an over-55 community. My basement office has a bed, and just outside the office is my fishing/hunting kitchen -- literally with a ton of cast iron pots and pans, lots of knives, sharpeners, etc.

With your beard, you'd look just like the locals, especially if you wear bib overalls, like I do most of the time.

And, we can have tilapia. To get them from somebody out of state, like Rex, we just need a free importation permit.

Oh, and I've never seen a rattlesnake in either Virginia or West Virginia, although they supposedly live in our mountains.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Consider the odds of first getting pulled over, then fractionally multiply that by the chances a highway patrolman or deputy sherriff would correctly ID a Tilapia. Wonder what the fine is?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

ONE Million Dollars (pinky raised to corner of mouth)!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
With some of the troopers I deal with, you may face sanctions for having a hornless buck without tags if they find fish in your truck...

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

I found these TPWD docs online:

Tilapia 1

Tilapia 2

Apparently Tilapia are being grouped with grass carp. Two way different species.

AL

B
B
It doesnt make a ton of sense to me because triploid grass carps require a permit to stock and Mozambiques do not.

I guess this implies that even if you have a carp permit you need an exotic species permit to transport it.

brian

I've emailed Ken Kurzawski for specific details on the proposed changes, and how it affects the private pond owner. Either way, I may need to make a trip to Austin for the August hearings.

Ken, Momma vetoed the bib overalls. Something about the girth to denim ratios. She's a temp anyway.

AL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM