Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bill Cody, Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 1,047 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Okie Bob
Originally Posted By: Jwwann

I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma. I went to Adams Elementary School. Each class had access to below the floor level. My school was built in the 50's. I believe most schools in Oklahoma have some type of below ground access. Most of the kids that died at the elementary school drowned in the basement as Moore also received flooding rains during the tornado event. The basement filled with water and the access was piled with debris. My shelter sits on the side of a hill and has 2-4 inches of clearance from the ground. Not picking on you, but that last CNN video set me off...... The meteorologists in OKC were warning people to leave in their vehicles if they didn't have a below ground shelter and were in the path of this storm. They very seldom tell you to hop in your car and haul azz! These above ground "safe rooms" will not withstand an EF-4 or EF-5 tornado! It's bolted to the slab foundation. The May 3rd of 1999 Moore and Oklahoma City tornado not only cleaned the slab, it took the slab too!!!!! You become an airborne missile! Might as well have a NASA symbol on the side of it! While you're flying through the air, you're slamming into the sides of that coffin until you land, probably miles away from where your house was. No thank you. Sure, a tornado may pass directly over my shelter and rip the door off the hinges, sucking everyone out, but I'll take my chances.

Bob you have the same type of shelter as me don't you. I think we are safer then those garage shelters. But like spark said you have to go outside. They did register my shelter with FEMA against my will. I don't like registering anything though. It says in the document they can come inspect my shelter after any event and of course check that we are not trapped inside. This is mine.
[img]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47...49DD7FBACE5.mp4[/img]

Mine doesn't have the hand handle on the side........and my door is painted black. Other than that, they're the same. I guess they added the handle after mine was built. I've had mine a couple years now. I have to go down and spray for spiders as mine fills up with Black Widows each year. The only access I can see for them is around the door as the wind turbine and air vent are screened. I'm thinking maybe some tape on weatherstripping, like around doors, might help keep the "beasties" out of there. The spiders don't bother me, but the Mrs. may refuse to enter and ride out the storm if'n she sees "critters" in the "fraidy hole"..... We purchased a hand-crank radio and rechargeable lanterns too. I really did my homework on this thing. I made sure that it was planted to the southwest of the house and that nothing was parked or built behind it. I'm also adding a two ton jack and beam just in case a mature oak lands on the door. Thanks for sharing your video..... One of the survivors of the Moore tornado has one just like ours. His wind turbine and air vent were destroyed, but those can be replaced easily and cheaply enough.

They said the handles are new. I also put mine southwest of house. I think I'm gonna go with white for the door to decrease heat. I got a load of topsoil coming in to cover all that clay and do some landscaping around it. I don't know if you seen it in other thread but here is a video I made of full installation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzxkUurHj08

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I actually live just out of Fort Worth. Our soils here are a mess. I water my foundation to keep it from cracking. I'm not sure the city code would allow me to install one. They don't allow much.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

I believe homes are supposed to withstand 110 mph winds. Probably higher in Tornado Alley. You're better served staying in the center part of your house and away from windows during a high wind event. My house is built with 2x6 on 16 inch centers, doubled studded at all four corners, and the roof trusses are hurricane strapped to the walls. The walls are J-bolted into the concrete. This house ain't going anywhere unless I take a direct hit from an EF-4 or EF-5. A direct hit from an EF-4 or 5 will not only take your house, it will take anything that's in your basement, including you!

My job requires me to be knowledgable about things like this, and I'm sorry to say that this simply is not correct.

Something as simple as a branch breaking out a window will negate the construction you describe in seconds.

If I lived in tornado alley, an engineered reinforced concrete storm shelter buried below grade would be in place before my family put one foot in the door.

To Hell with Georgia...
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
It is a mess up there for sure. Been in the area the last two days working. Keep the people in your prayers.

Took these pictures today.

This is on Interstate 35 in Moore.

Railroad bridge that collapsed next to Interstate 44 west of Moore.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Have they confirmed if the twister was an EF-4 or EF-5 yet?

EF5

Sorry that was just a preliminary rating. Nothing official yet.

It's official. It was an EF-5 per the National Weather Service. Wind speeds at 300 ft. were measured at over 270 mph. Winds at the surface were measured at 210 mph. The May 3rd, 1999 tornado was measured at 318 mph, still an EF-5. The biggest difference was this one was a very slow mover and really chewed up what it passed over.

I believe the May 3rd 99 tornado has the fastest recorded wind speeds on the planet ever for a tornado didn't it? Of course we haven't had radar equipment to actually measure wind speeds of tornadoes that long but still 318 mph is just out of this world!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
It is a mess up there for sure. Been in the area the last two days working. Keep the people in your prayers.

Took these pictures today.

This is on Interstate 35 in Moore.

Railroad bridge that collapsed next to Interstate 44 west of Moore.

Dang Chris. That's horrible looking. Are you helping with the clean up?

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
No, just passing through the area. Delivered fish yesterday to two places just south of Moore and then delivered a 1000 gallon Fuel Tank to company in OKC that rents out generators.

J
J
Fastest winds ever recorded on radar came from May 3, 1999.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Yellow Jacket

I believe homes are supposed to withstand 110 mph winds. Probably higher in Tornado Alley. You're better served staying in the center part of your house and away from windows during a high wind event. My house is built with 2x6 on 16 inch centers, doubled studded at all four corners, and the roof trusses are hurricane strapped to the walls. The walls are J-bolted into the concrete. This house ain't going anywhere unless I take a direct hit from an EF-4 or EF-5. A direct hit from an EF-4 or 5 will not only take your house, it will take anything that's in your basement, including you!

My job requires me to be knowledgable about things like this, and I'm sorry to say that this simply is not correct.

Something as simple as a branch breaking out a window will negate the construction you describe in seconds.

If I lived in tornado alley, an engineered reinforced concrete storm shelter buried below grade would be in place before my family put one foot in the door.

Most houses and barns are built to withstand 90 mph winds. The engineering in jumping up 20 mph to 110 mph is quite the step. You simply could not afford to built a home that can withstand 210 mph winds.

+1 on being below ground. I will try to get pics of our safe room up soon.

O
O
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Originally Posted By: Yellow Jacket

Most houses and barns are built to withstand 90 mph winds. The engineering in jumping up 20 mph to 110 mph is quite the step. You simply could not afford to built a home that can withstand 210 mph winds.

+1 on being below ground. I will try to get pics of our safe room up soon.

Bargain Barns & Buildings in Noble has metal buildings that are certified to withstand 130mph winds....... When you lose your roof, you normally lose your house. Strapping your roof trusses to your walls, which are bolted to the slab will probably get you to that 120 mph number. Most roof trusses are toe nailed into the top wall plates with one nail. Your roof is pretty much just sitting on top of your walls. The cost of strapping a new house under construction will add roughly $1 a foot. If you call your insurance company and tell them how it's built, it might save you a few bucks in insurance per year.
http://www.camccartyconstruction.com/high_wind.html

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...