Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 671 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
I cannot imagine what those poor kids went through in the schools. I don't even know how to react to seeing something like this, it is just mind-numbingly unbelievable. I hardly even know what to pray for as there are so many things these people have lost.

I can put up with 11-month winters in NY and 4 months of solid drought if I can avoid those "fingers of God".

I love to watch a good storm chaser video, but not if the storm is pulling off such horrible atrocities like this. Watching all of that debris fly around the tornado in the videos makes me wonder how many poor souls are rotating around in there at the time. Ugh.

Feeling awfully bad for OK today. Prayers go out to all of you.

As a note, another of life's ironies is we are able to build 15-course basements in areas where we don't really need them apart from having a tax-free workshop.

Last edited by liquidsquid; 05/21/13 03:31 PM.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Cecil, we have clay soils that expend and contract creating a lot of foundation problems.

Like Zep says, I know of no basements in the area.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Growing up, we had relatives up near Denton TX. I remember concrete storm cellars scattered everywhere. They were all cracked, moldy and had standing water in them during the Spring.

A drop-in steel unit might be the best option, but I've only seen one of those locally.

AL

J
Online Content
J
It has interesting in talking with my mother last night about how many basements there are in this part of my town. We figured that a large percentage of houses had basements in the older part of town. 6 of 8 houses in our block have basements. But most of the basements around town leak but it is still a little something.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Prayers and donation have been sent.

Building a dry basement is possible, it just takes some foresight and planning. Good french drain system, elastomer coating on the outside of the basement walls. With that, even if the walls crack, the elastomer will not.

When I worked with my neighbor doing concrete repair, we put in a LOT of french drains around houses that had water problems /cracked concrete floors/slabs in So. Cal. That wasn't as good as building the house on a bed of gravel (with the footings into virgin soil) but it sure did minimize the water intrusion. You will get water going tury concrete too. Ever see white stains on block walls or concrete? That's where water is forcing it's way thru. In those instances, a good french drain system, and cleaning the inside surface and then coating with a good 2-part epoxy sealer that is formulated for concrete use will fix the problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Our soils mover around so much that basements and cellars just aren't effective.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave,

Is your land flat or is there some relief as in the potential for a walk in reinforced shelter?

If that's not an option I think I'd be building a concrete reinforced safe room in the center of any newly constructed home in tornado prone areas. Probably not cheap but how much are lives worth?

I'm considering something up here even though I do have a basement that is mostly underground.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/22/13 09:40 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
O
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Dave,

Is your land flat or is there some relief as in the potential for a walk in reinforced shelter?

If that's not an option I think I'd be building a concrete reinforced safe room in the center of any newly constructed home in tornado prone areas. Probably not cheap but how much are lives worth?

I'm considering something up here even though I do have a basement that is mostly underground.

Basements are nice......until your house takes a direct hit from a tornado and caves in on top of you. I'll stick with my reinforced concrete storm shelter that's EF-5 rated.

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Okie Bob
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Dave,

Basements are nice......until your house takes a direct hit from a tornado and caves in on top of you. I'll stick with my reinforced concrete storm shelter that's EF-5 rated.

I'll second that.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The only drawback I see to a dedicated, stand-alone storm shelter is the fact that you need to go outside to get into it.....Two nights ago we had some tremendous straight line winds come through, a lot of folks lost roofs, barns and trees but thankfully no serious injuries. But, this happened at 2:30 in the morning, when the first warning most had, (myself included) was awakening to a tremendous roar. By the time we could get shoes on the family and out to a shelter, it might be too late.....a lot quicker to run downstairs to the basement. I do acknowledge the possibility of the house collapsing, but I wonder how many times that has actually killed someone, especially when compared to the many lives saved by those who took shelter in the basement?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A safe room could also be built in the basement, but it would be a LOT easier to build it during initial construction.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I think anywhere below ground level is good. Having a plan for when the weather radio goes off is the lifesaver. My shelter is 40 feet from front porch with solar lighting showing the way. Full battery powered led motion lights inside that will kick on instantly when door is opened.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Our safe room is in the garage so we just have to step out to it and not outside. My wife and kids took shelter in it the same day as the Moore tragedy due to a warning in Washington county. We kept our kids home that day due to the what they were predicting. I am glad we did but my wife was sick all day because she forgot they were at home and was worried they were at school.

Ours is rated for an EF-5 as well but I pray I never have to find out to confirm that.

O
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
The only drawback I see to a dedicated, stand-alone storm shelter is the fact that you need to go outside to get into it.....Two nights ago we had some tremendous straight line winds come through, a lot of folks lost roofs, barns and trees but thankfully no serious injuries. But, this happened at 2:30 in the morning, when the first warning most had, (myself included) was awakening to a tremendous roar. By the time we could get shoes on the family and out to a shelter, it might be too late.....a lot quicker to run downstairs to the basement. I do acknowledge the possibility of the house collapsing, but I wonder how many times that has actually killed someone, especially when compared to the many lives saved by those who took shelter in the basement?

I believe homes are supposed to withstand 110 mph winds. Probably higher in Tornado Alley. You're better served staying in the center part of your house and away from windows during a high wind event. My house is built with 2x6 on 16 inch centers, doubled studded at all four corners, and the roof trusses are hurricane strapped to the walls. The walls are J-bolted into the concrete. This house ain't going anywhere unless I take a direct hit from an EF-4 or EF-5. A direct hit from an EF-4 or 5 will not only take your house, it will take anything that's in your basement, including you!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Have they confirmed if the twister was an EF-4 or EF-5 yet?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

EF5

O
O
Our safe room is in the garage so we just have to step out to it and not outside. My wife and kids took shelter in it the same day as the Moore tragedy due to a warning in Washington county. We kept our kids home that day due to the what they were predicting. I am glad we did but my wife was sick all day because she forgot they were at home and was worried they were at school.

Ours is rated for an EF-5 as well but I pray I never have to find out to confirm that.

Make sure your "safe room" is registered so the 1st Responder's will know where to dig you out. Also, make sure you have a bucket, toilet paper, wet wipes, snacks, and bottled water. You may very well be stuck in there for a couple days if your house collapses on it.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I guess it comes down to what one's beliefs are. I think that when it's your time, that's it....nothing you can do will change it. I do believe in being prepared, and taking steps to mitigate damage and/or injury, but I'm guessing a storm shelter capable of surviving an EF-5 is rated to survive windspeed and debris.....but what about a semi, railroad car, or D11 cat dropped on top of it from 3000 feet up.

There's always that SOMETHING that hasn't been planned for, or taken into account. No shortage of things waiting to get ya!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
O

I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma. I went to Adams Elementary School. Each class had access to below the floor level. My school was built in the 50's. I believe most schools in Oklahoma have some type of below ground access. Most of the kids that died at the elementary school drowned in the basement as Moore also received flooding rains during the tornado event. The basement filled with water and the access was piled with debris. My shelter sits on the side of a hill and has 2-4 inches of clearance from the ground. Not picking on you, but that last CNN video set me off...... The meteorologists in OKC were warning people to leave in their vehicles if they didn't have a below ground shelter and were in the path of this storm. They very seldom tell you to hop in your car and haul azz! These above ground "safe rooms" will not withstand an EF-4 or EF-5 tornado! It's bolted to the slab foundation. The May 3rd of 1999 Moore and Oklahoma City tornado not only cleaned the slab, it took the slab too!!!!! You become an airborne missile! Might as well have a NASA symbol on the side of it! While you're flying through the air, you're slamming into the sides of that coffin until you land, probably miles away from where your house was. No thank you. Sure, a tornado may pass directly over my shelter and rip the door off the hinges, sucking everyone out, but I'll take my chances.

O
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I guess it comes down to what one's beliefs are. I think that when it's your time, that's it....nothing you can do will change it. I do believe in being prepared, and taking steps to mitigate damage and/or injury, but I'm guessing a storm shelter capable of surviving an EF-5 is rated to survive windspeed and debris.....but what about a semi, railroad car, or D11 cat dropped on top of it from 3000 feet up.

There's always that SOMETHING that hasn't been planned for, or taken into account. No shortage of things waiting to get ya!

Absolutely. The only way to insure your safety would cost more money than most can afford. I always tell my wife that if I won the lotto, our shelter would be accessible from the house and outside. It would be 50 ft. deep with oxygen tanks, refrigerators, emergency power, etc. But for $2,600 you can get darn close to being as safe as one can be within reason. By the way, I'd love to have a basement. What a great Man Cave I could make out of that!!!! LOL! wink

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Jwwann

EF5

Sorry that was just a preliminary rating. Nothing official yet.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma. I went to Adams Elementary School. Each class had access to below the floor level. My school was built in the 50's. I believe most schools in Oklahoma have some type of below ground access. Most of the kids that died at the elementary school drowned in the basement as Moore also received flooding rains during the tornado event. The basement filled with water and the access was piled with debris. My shelter sits on the side of a hill and has 2-4 inches of clearance from the ground. Not picking on you, but that last CNN video set me off...... The meteorologists in OKC were warning people to leave in their vehicles if they didn't have a below ground shelter and were in the path of this storm. They very seldom tell you to hop in your car and haul azz! These above ground "safe rooms" will not withstand an EF-4 or EF-5 tornado! It's bolted to the slab foundation. The May 3rd of 1999 Moore and Oklahoma City tornado not only cleaned the slab, it took the slab too!!!!! You become an airborne missile! Might as well have a NASA symbol on the side of it! While you're flying through the air, you're slamming into the sides of that coffin until you land, probably miles away from where your house was. No thank you. Sure, a tornado may pass directly over my shelter and rip the door off the hinges, sucking everyone out, but I'll take my chances.

Bob you have the same type of shelter as me don't you. I think we are safer then those garage shelters. But like spark said you have to go outside. They did register my shelter with FEMA against my will. I don't like registering anything though. It says in the document they can come inspect my shelter after any event and of course check that we are not trapped inside. This is mine.
[img]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47...49DD7FBACE5.mp4[/img]

O
O

Bob you have the same type of shelter as me don't you. I think we are safer then those garage shelters. But like spark said you have to go outside. They did register my shelter with FEMA against my will. I don't like registering anything though. It says in the document they can come inspect my shelter after any event and of course check that we are not trapped inside. This is mine.
[img]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47...49DD7FBACE5.mp4[/img]

Mine doesn't have the hand handle on the side........and my door is painted black. Other than that, they're the same. I guess they added the handle after mine was built. I've had mine a couple years now. I have to go down and spray for spiders as mine fills up with Black Widows each year. The only access I can see for them is around the door as the wind turbine and air vent are screened. I'm thinking maybe some tape on weatherstripping, like around doors, might help keep the "beasties" out of there. The spiders don't bother me, but the Mrs. may refuse to enter and ride out the storm if'n she sees "critters" in the "fraidy hole"..... We purchased a hand-crank radio and rechargeable lanterns too. I really did my homework on this thing. I made sure that it was planted to the southwest of the house and that nothing was parked or built behind it. I'm also adding a two ton jack and beam just in case a mature oak lands on the door. Thanks for sharing your video..... One of the survivors of the Moore tornado has one just like ours. His wind turbine and air vent were destroyed, but those can be replaced easily and cheaply enough.

O
O

EF5

Sorry that was just a preliminary rating. Nothing official yet.

It's official. It was an EF-5 per the National Weather Service. Wind speeds at 300 ft. were measured at over 270 mph. Winds at the surface were measured at 210 mph. The May 3rd, 1999 tornado was measured at 318 mph, still an EF-5. The biggest difference was this one was a very slow mover and really chewed up what it passed over.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails