Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Angler8689, Layne, anthropic), 574 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333963 05/08/13 11:15 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I've got my 85 year old mother living with my wife and I due to the fact that she is suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. Two days ago, she decides to venture about our property while my wife and I were putting in our garden. She apparently slipped and fell and broke her right arm, just above the wrist........ This morning, my Pit Bull female puppy apparently got bit by a copperhead or Pygmy rattler....... She's at the vet. We'll know if she made it through by tomorrow morning. She was a Christmas present from my wife and was born on October 31st. We named her Snickers..... Today, a wild-fire breaks out and heads our way. The fire was finally put out less than 660 ft. from our house....Waht put it out? It wasn't the 7 fire depts... it was a violent thunderstorm that hit us with high winds, hail, and torrential rain...... The swarm of locusts showed up about the time the storm hit and were killed by the lightning, hail, wind, and rain...... I need a hug as my wife has been wandering about and mumbling since about noon. We now have the windows open trying to get the burnt wood smell out of our house. My wife wants us to sell the place and move to Belize....... I told her that I can eradicate the snakes, keep things mowed down to keep a fire away, and turn the pond blue so she'll think she's at Belize. Come on folks, help me out! My bride of 30+ years is traumatized over all we've been through. Give me some advise! frown

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Dang! No matter how bad things get, there is always beer.

Last edited by Jwwann; 05/08/13 11:33 PM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Lunker
Lunker
Buy a lottery ticket, it all balances out and your due.

Prayers that your puppy makes it.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
You have your wife, and she has you. Now's the time that you both need big shoulders for each other.

Sorry about your Mom. I'm going through the exact same 2 issues with my 80 yo Dad. Nobody really knows how bad Dementia and Alzheimer's is til they live with that loved one day to day.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob, sounds like an average day in OK or TX.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Bob, the material things are just that. The insurance comapany should mitigate the smoke damage and any storm damage.

Your strong faith has already proven itself, not only in your love for your mom and your care of her cognitive impairment, but also in the fact that it was the thunderstorm that saved your home from destruction and took care of the locusts. You still have a home!

Hug your wife, be patient with mom and a good prayer for your puppy.

Find something fun to do, off the cuff to remind you all that it's another one of life's tests and that you will survive.

Stay positive and have faith!

"I contend that not only can you laugh at adversity, but it is essential do so if you are to deal with setbacks without defeat" - Allen Klein

Prayers go out to you and yours!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
All those things can happen in Belize too.

Can you get out for a nice dinner? Just a small break may do wonders.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob:
I echo everybody's thoughts and comments.

Do some research for a snake breaking clinic in your area. They might be put on by a local chapter of Quail Unlimited, or maybe a dog trainer in the area does it. When I lived in So. Cal. there was a chapter of QU that had a snake breaking seminar once a year at Raahauge's http://www.raahauges.com/

They use live rattlesnakes that have been defanged. At the time, it was $75 per dog - a LOT cheaper than a vet trip.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I don't have a solution for complete curing of a woeful period in a person's life. Getting away for a couple days together may be helpful. Just the two of you, doing something you both enjoy but mostly your wife enjoys. If you soulmate is happy, you will also be happy. No hog hunting!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Getting away for a couple days together may be helpful. Just the two of you

This is what I was going to suggest. I know there's probably work to do at the house now, but get someone else on it and take the wife somewhere quiet (that doesn't smell like smoke).

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bob I feel ya buddy. I have had my mother in law living with us now going on 6 years. She is 91 and it's like having another 2 year old in the house! You cannot leave them alone for long!

Be glad it wasn't her mom who got bit by the snake! That would not have been good at all!!!

My Sunday school teacher alwasy used to tell us.

(If you think you got it bad give me 5 minutes and I can find someone who has it worse than you do!) Harsh reality of that is it's pretty much the truth! Hang in there man and like the guys said above maybe try and get away if you can or if you can get someone to watch mom for a few hours!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great advice and support above.

That was a rough couple of days !! Good that no one was killed or severely injured. Hang in there - things will improve and then you can look back and laugh at the trials you endured. Trust me , there are lot of people who are much worse off than any of us. Life may be rough at times but life is still good !!! All of us should remember that every day above ground is a blessing so make the most of your opportunities !

Last edited by ewest; 05/09/13 09:01 AM.

O
O
Sorry to hear about you run on luck...

Just remember, everyday's a good day, some are just better than others!!!

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Serenity - I try to live this each day and it always brings me peace when everything seems to be falling apart around me. Maybe it will help you.

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time,Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace, Taking, as Jesus did, This sinful world as it is, Not as I would have it, Trusting that You will make all things right, If I surrender to Your will, So that I may be reasonably happy In this life, And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Great advice and support above.

That was a rough couple of days !! Good that no one was killed or severely injured. Hang in there - things will improve and then you can look back and laugh at the trials you endured. Trust me , there are lot of people who are much worse off than any of us. Life may be rough at times but life is still good !!! All of us should remember that every day above ground is a blessing so make the most of your opportunities !

Hey Eric your last sentence is worth a 1000 words after what I just went through in January!! It puts things in prospective real quick!!

The other day I went fishing with my buddy and he was upset cause we were not doing that good. And I was like dude just enjoy being out here and being able to do what you love to do!!! I have a different outlook on some things now for sure!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #334068 05/09/13 04:45 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks folks. The sun came up this morning, I ate breakfast, I'm upright and not at room temperature. My bride is in better spirits and my mom came out of her room and had coffee with us..... I was a tad overwhelmed when I posted the original post yesterday. We got our puppy back this morning. She's gonna be okay and the hair will grow back on her right foot. The snakebite is quite impressive. Must have been a good sized adult Copperhead as the fang marks are well over an inch wide. The vet bill was quite impressive too, but heck, at least my puppy is gonna be alright.....Thanks for all your support folks. I most definitely appreciate all the kind thoughts, advice, and prayers.

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Excellent update! Great news!

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
NICE!!!!

Upright and breathing, always a good way to start the day!

Glad to hear all is well grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things turned around.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Good thing you avoided Belize

The fer de lance makes a copperhead look like a cuddly beanie baby

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Straight ahead!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
+1

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??