Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, rjackson), 1,005 guests, and 164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Originally Posted By: Leo Nguyen
Dwight, dead on! Man, you guys are brilliant when it comes to sciences. This forum covers pretty much the entire array of PhD to field-based experienced gurus. This is where historical data from NOAA comes in handy, as well as some Almanac info, since Texas is a bit behind on their information updates. Once the info get tabulated, you then utilize 4 equations to calculate for the speed of transevaporation. Unfortunately, it has to be done by hand. This is where calculus comes in handy.

I am sure Maple could handle it. I know a professor that used Maple to solve five equations, five unknowns for his 8 yr son's pine wood derby car to make sure the weight balance was correct.

I am kinda partial to Mathcad myself. They both are really cool programs.

PTC recently released a free version of Mathcad. A number of advanced features are disabled, but I doubt the vast majority of people would use them.

My last upgrade was in 2008, and none of the hundreds of apps I have written over the past 23 years will import into the free version. They need to be converted with the latest full version, which I am not going to get.

If the default windows scientific calculator is over your head, then you defiantly don't even want to be messing around with the free version, unless you like math smile wink

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
Excellent calculator page. However, evap is just one of the three primary. You got leeching/hydrological flow (extremely important if the pond/lake is not properly sealed from below the water's surface), and transevaporative process by plants (which is minimal but still need to be considered)

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok bringing this thread back to the top. Lake is built. Just under 2 acres and has maximum depth of 18'. I have not personally seen it yet but am going down to the ranch tomorrow. I do have a picture albeit not a great one and cant figure out how to post it as more than an attachment. Plenty of questions.

#1I have read where freshly cut oak trees can prove toxic to the water. There are no oaks but are plenty of large bull mesquites. I would really like to cut several of these and drag them to primary spots. Will that be an issue?

#2 There are no rocks whatsoever on the place so what would be the best/cheapest type of rock to put in the lake. I can't imagine trying to haul enough big rocks 300 miles on a 16' flatbed. Seems like it might take more in gas than a load of cheap rock delivered?

#3. There is plenty of sand available but it is very fine beach like sand. Would I be better off getting a load of pea gravel for a spawning area?

I am sure I have created more questions for myself but it is a start.

Attached Images
image.jpg
Last edited by bklem; 07/25/13 07:53 PM.

Billy Klemstein
1. Oak is toxic, to a certain level, yes. Bull mesquite, no. Go nuts.

2. Got local quarries? Streams? Plenty of those 1/2 to 1 ton boulders will decorate nicely. Otherwise, river rocks.

3. Pea gravel is great. 1/4" and 1/8" river rocks are perfect.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
T
T
I like using pans to do alot of the dirt moving and shaping. Looks sweEt

Last edited by Tums; 07/25/13 09:23 PM.
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Leo Nguyen
1. Oak is toxic, to a certain level, yes. Bull mesquite, no. Go nuts.

2. Got local quarries? Streams? Plenty of those 1/2 to 1 ton boulders will decorate nicely. Otherwise, river rocks.

3. Pea gravel is great. 1/4" and 1/8" river rocks are perfect.

Thanks. Lots of mesquite so that is good. No quarries anywhere near this place nor any streams of any type. Lots of beachfront close by!

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know a lot of areas in Texas have low alkalinity waters. If you can find limestone, use that in the pond. Anything that will bring up the alkalinity will help.

There's a great thread in the archives on structure/cover for fish. Take a look at it if you haven't done so already.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Wow, great looking pond! Is that sand all over the bottom or clay? Hard to tell.

If you have boulders available, I would order a variety of sizes and a few loads. As mentioned, limestone would be beneficial. Then rent/hire a skid-steer to place them around the pond basin making huts, cavities, and caves (aka Love shacks). They should become excellent places to dangle a hook.

I didn't have the ability to move stones larger than 2' without a skid-steer, but of the "love shacks" I made, the fish are always around them or in them. I built one that had about a 5cu ft interior with my son that wound-up being about 12' under. I snorkel down to it and find perch in there all the time staring back at me. They love it! The FHM on the other hand used to think it was theirs, not the best home for them any more.

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Wow, great looking pond! Is that sand all over the bottom or clay? Hard to tell.

If you have boulders available, I would order a variety of sizes and a few loads. As mentioned, limestone would be beneficial. Then rent/hire a skid-steer to place them around the pond basin making huts, cavities, and caves (aka Love shacks). They should become excellent places to dangle a hook.

I didn't have the ability to move stones larger than 2' without a skid-steer, but of the "love shacks" I made, the fish are always around them or in them. I built one that had about a 5cu ft interior with my son that wound-up being about 12' under. I snorkel down to it and find perch in there all the time staring back at me. They love it! The FHM on the other hand used to think it was theirs, not the best home for them any more.

That is clay. We have about 3-5' of sand on top and then clay down to at least 23'. I know rocks will be my best bet but the expense of them may be an issue! It is a long way for shipment and the cost of delivery is what will get us. I've got plenty of tires and pallets so that may have to suffice.

What about cedar posts tied together in a teepee like setup? Would that work? Have access to unlimited cedar here in the hill country of Texas.

Billy Klemstein
L
L
Do you have any access to broken-up concrete like old foundations and sidewalks? You may find someone just aching for a place to dump that stuff. The tough part is cutting out the rebar and manhandling the chunks around.

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I am trying to get some concrete from a road construction site the county is doing. Not sure how that will work. I did get to see the lake this weekend and it has lots of deep water. There are plenty of contour changes but obviously no structure whatsoever. Nor is there any drastic depth changes like sheer drop offs. Will that be a problem?

The plan for structure is to utilize the numerous large dead mesquite trees that are all over the ranch. First question is, will they float and if so how should I anchor them? I'm thinking of trying to get a bunch of concrete culverts from the same road project? Will they be toxic if they are older?

Another thought I had was for the real deep water and Vertical structure like standing timber. For my tree trunk, i am thinking of putting a t post in the bottom of the lake and putting a 4-6", 10' tall PVC pipe over it with a 1/2 bag of sacrete down inside for stability. Then I can drill holes, actually pre-drilled, for 1" PVC pipes going thru at various depths and directions to create the "limbs" of the tree. In addition , I thought of bending small sections of cattle panels over my "limbs" for more structure. Thinking of doing these in 3-4 clusters throughout the bottom of the deepest part of the lake. Am I crazy?

Billy Klemstein
1. Just a mindful thing you need to know about concrete, where other in the construction industry may hammer me on this..don't shoot the scientist. Concrete, depending on what it's used for previous before it may have been recycled and reused as base material, can contain excess heavy metals, as well as unknown trapped pollutants from the activities (and/or soils) that you may not be aware of as you salvaged it for usages. That then get introduced into your pond. The concentration of the pollutants and metals may not be high to be alarmed about, but I don't know how long the concrete materials have been supporting the roadways, leeching and absorbing. Definitely your call. Concrete will bring the pH up. Those who make concrete pipes, as well as inert landfill owners, claim that cured concrete will not bring pH down or raise pH up. Beg to differ. Plenty of enforcement lawsuits I have involved over the years that prove otherwise.

2. Mesquite tree indeed will float like a log, if it's dead and has been bone dried for a long while. Over time, as the water seeps into the body, and the wood undergoes decomposition, it will remain sunken. You won't know how much weight to use to anchor it down unless you do a trial run on the buoyancy level of the dead mesquite. You may need a 1/2 top of weight to hold it down, or you may only need a pebble. Can't tell until there's water. If you require to anchor them is not to compromise your pond's bottom lining. Just weight on both sides, and lots and lots of ropes, or chains (for added weight).

3. As for the concrete culvert, same as #1,but in this case, what type of water have been going through the culverts? Low flow rate is worst than fast, since pollutants have more time to adhere to the porous surface/subsurface of the culverts over time.

4. For the vertical structures, you got something going there. Indeed you're crazy, but in a good way. I'll hand this to the pond's engineers and the experienced pond masters.

Leo

F
F
Leo, I think that is a very good point in regards to #1. I put concrete along my edge for 50-100'. Never thought that it may have soaked up bad stuff. Nothing noticeably bad on my part, but who knows. I think in a past thread, there was something along these lines in regards to recycled pallets too. There is definitely a higher PH next to that concrete area, but soon goes down just a little bit away.

Last edited by fish n chips; 07/29/13 06:21 AM.
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Leo. I definitely would prefer natural rock vs. concrete but dang it's just not much of an option down here by the beach! I believe the biggest issue will be trying to get "clean" concrete as opposed to that which has say pavement with it.

I guess with the mesquite trees the only thing I really need to do so keep them from all floating to the same end. I believe a t post and wire will do that. My plan was to put them in the intermediate depths of six to eight foot and then do the deeper portion of the lake with my vertical artificial trees.

Billy Klemstein
Billy, if you're willing to risk it using the concrete, it's not a problem. Just be aware of where the concrete has been. Make sure to be extremely mindful of the pH level for the first 5 years. Yep, 5 years. If the concrete get soaked for that long, pH will stabilize out. If the concrete don't get submerged, try 20 years for more.

The best type of concrete to use is damaged and broken concrete materials from the local plants. Do not use any colored concreted. Just plain straight up gray, or the base color of the sand and aggregates that the concrete bonded to.

Make sure to get porous concrete, and not the sealed. The porous have a greater chance to leech out the pollutant on first flush (using garden hose), before introducing into your pond. Sealed concreted may have smaller pores, but the pollutants are trapped at much greater level due to large bonding surfaces within the smaller pores.

Leo

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok one other issue I worry about is disturbing the integrity of the clay bottom. Will the T posts be a threat to creating a leak if the clay is, say only a foot deeper than the bottom? Am I worrying about nothing?

Last edited by bklem; 07/29/13 10:16 PM.

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the bottom under the clay is porous, I wouldn't take the chance of disturbing the clay liner. I'd use cover that had a wide base to support it's vertical height.

Something like this:

If you want it taller, they can be stacked 2 high.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Man I like that. What are the "limbs" made out of? I think my Ida of PVC trees will work if instead of using a t post in the ground, I use a five gallon bucket as a base.

Last edited by bklem; 07/30/13 09:40 AM.

Billy Klemstein
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bill, if you use a bucket, poke holes in the bottom. Then stick a couple of pieces of rebar through before filling with concrete. That should keep it from tipping over.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Bill, if you use a bucket, poke holes in the bottom. Then stick a couple of pieces of rebar through before filling with concrete. That should keep it from tipping over.

Yep that will work. Thanks.

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
OK not sure why I can only upload an attachment and not a picture but here is the first run of my pvc tree. Believe it or not, I am on a budget! Will this work in the deeper water?

Attached Images
pvc tree.jpg

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The picture has to be hosted on an on-line site, not from your computer, such as Photobucket or anohter on-line website. There's a tutorial in the archives on how to do it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
H
Nice looking pond!!

1 Acre Pond with SMB, YP, LMB, GSF, RES, FHM, GSH, Papershell Crayfish, Pike
5.5 Acre Pond with LMB, BG

My Build Thread
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok got a lot done this weekend. I was amazed at how big of trees we were able to get on the trailer and into the lake. It started raining yesterday so we did not get the PVC trees in. Next time plus still need to add rock. I was also able to get six culverts and put them in. Ok I'll try to upload pics again from my flicker account this time. Maybe it will work.

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Billy Klemstein
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM