Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,170
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (tlogan, Boondoggle, Brian from Texas, Knobber, Rick O, Joe7328, catscratch, DrewSh, Sunil, Bigtrh24, Willy Wonka, Theo Gallus), 992 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Tums
Zep it does not really apply to all kids, it mainly effects little ones that have not built up a good immune system yet.

Tums I honestly did not know you can build up immunity to salmonella poisoning. I thought if you ingested salmonella you got sick regardless....learn something everyday. Thanks.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally Posted By: CB
.....received a certificate in dental assisting at Rio Salado College and is a lead dental assistant at a dental university.

I don't know about you but I'd trust an article on frogs from a certified professional in the field vs. a dental assistant that writes poems.

I'm not sure I'd trust a long armed dentist who waxes eloquent about bluegills, either.

Ha Ha! How did I know that was coming?

Actually he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few nights!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

L
L
I think you can become immune to salmonella itself, but its digestive byproducts are nasty (i.e. food poisoning). From what I understand that if you ingest the wrong type that are stomach-acid resistive, those byproducts in your gut is what gets you good and sick.

With that said, salmonella is EVERYWHERE. The question is what may expose you to too much or certain nasty strains.

R
R
Tums they are pretty easy to trap,essentially all you need is a bucket and a light to attract bugs.We used to use the 4 gal square kitty litter buckets but any old bucket will work.Find a spot that looks toady and is away from where a little one might fall in,dig a hole that fits around the bucket snug and flush with the ground,hang a light that will attract bugs about 2-3ft above the bucket and you're done.

It doesnt harm them as long as you remember to check and relocate them in the morning.If you wont be around just put a lid on the bucket and the trap is out of order.Last thing is you may want to experiment with different bulbs and distances for the best results.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just came back from doing an aquaculture presentation to several county health department employees. When I asked them about the toads and salmonella they rolled their eyes and didn't think it was a big deal.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/25/13 12:02 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
... When I asked them about the toads and salmonella they rolled their eyes ...

My friends tell me that I remind them of "Si" on "Duck Dynasty." He is a few years younger. I too have a beard and glasses. I can only apologize if I'm way crazy.

Well into the last century, my friends and cousins played with pollywogs, salamanders, frogs, toads, etc.,. My grandkids and I still capture and play with these critters.

My kids were allowed to take many different kinds of turtles/tortoises/amphibians/fishes in "for the night" -- actually they usually stayed for at least a week before they were put back where they were found.

My granddaughter and I have 20-gallon aquarium with a bunch of different pollywogs -- toads, bullfrogs -- whatever is swimming in the settlement ponds.

Can't kids ride bicycles without armour? Can't kids have sling shots to shoot acorns, or a BB gun to shoot out their eyes?

What are we becoming?

I'm going out to the front porch to make sure my toads have adequate forage for the next few weeks!

The Curmudgeon

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Robert I like that.

Cecil that is a general consensus for most (I use to be one also about 6 years ago). Then you think different when you get into the realm of what I have going on around my house now. Tell them that you will at times have some children with Cancer under going treatments with a weak immune system and you see what happens when you ask that same question. You must remember the purpose for the BCP pond itself is for people sick, disabled ect.. .I will have those types sitting and playing on that very porch. My 2 year old building up her immunity is not my only concern in my case. 4 out of the last 5 weeks I have had hospital personnel bringing out kids to shoot paint ball guns for free. The last thing I want to be is too laid back and cause someone a set back.

Cat try that with my friends 5 year old with cancer (that has to where a mask to go out in public) and you may be buying flowers. Not everyone is fortunate to have the good health you, yours, and I enjoy. Right at 5 years ago I started reaching out to do things with people with health issues from time to time. I try and bring a slice of that good life you and I are enjoying to people that can not enjoy the things most of us do. The 8 year old in my house rides a bicycle with no protection. My friends 5yr old fighting cancer looks like sponge bob on wheels. I have been hosting children 8 and up shooting clays for 2 years now (instead of those BB guns). You are more than welcome to come get some of my toads for your porch. smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tums,

I wasn't aware of the cancer immune issues. I must have missed that. I apologize profusely.

R
R
Tums,toad removal/reduction was one of the many things we had to do before my good friends little sister(they are 21 years apart) could come home from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.Along with a super cleansing of the house after her battle with AML leukemia.She has been in remission for about 3 years now and was just allowed back to school this year,although they still don't want her on the bus.Now she still has problems from the side effects of the chemo and bone marrow transplant.They don't affect her immune system yet they are cautions about things she can and cant be exposed to and this is years after she beat it into remission.

Here is a webpage a friend of the family did for her and the fundraisers they has for her http://magicformacey.com/

along with a video while she was in C.H.O.P.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Cacil you did not miss it and as far as I know I have never before just straight stated of Cancer patients being present. I often refer to people with health issues as physically challenged which would not indicate a single issue and or single them out. That is what the psychologist suggest to keep from causing the kids to feel singled out emotionally since all they want is to be a normal child. Your not knowing is nothing to do with you, but how I present things.

Robert thank you very much for that information & the Heart touching video. I know what you mean about the cleaning. I have had to have my septic tank pumped out lately because all the bacteria killing even killed too much Bacteria in my septic tank.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Cacil you did not miss it and as far as I know I have never before just straight stated of Cancer patients being present. I often refer to people with health issues as physically challenged which would not indicate a single issue and or single them out. That is what the psychologist suggest to keep from causing the kids to feel singled out emotionally since all they want is to be a normal child. Your not knowing is nothing to do with you, but how I present things.

Robert thank you very much for that information & the Heart touching video. I know what you mean about the cleaning. I have had to have my septic tank pumped out lately because all the bacteria killing even killed too much Bacteria in my septic tank.

Tums,

I wasn't aware of the cancer immune issues. I must have missed that. I apologize profusely.

I often refer to people with health issues as physically challenged which would not indicate a single issue and or single them out.
I resemble that remark... grin

88 years old after eating bugs, dirt, playing with horned toads - gigging bullfrogs growing up, and ending up with ten years of two unrelated life threatening cancers.
Sorry... cry
Now three pack a day cigarette smoking - breathing galvanize welding fumes and artillery smoke and all kind of chemical fumes is another matter....
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
George glad you are still here to share with us. It sounds like you have lived a good life with some ups and downs. I enjoy sitting around and talking with people more experienced like you. You just reminded me of the fun I had gigging with my dad in my early years. My first wife shut down my frog gigging around 23 years ago. And to think my current Wife (second) would have been about 8 yrs old then. I might need to take here frog gigging.

I grew up on a farm before things where so regulated and have tasted / smelled my share of chemicals and dirt. A far cry from the yuppie world I have around me today. I often think about how much times have changed every Sunday (on my way to church) when I drive by Robert Richie's (Kid Rock) place, then Hank Jr.'s place and then the old Almeria Club where Hank Sr. performed at.
BTW They have some nice lakes.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
George glad you are still here to share with us. It sounds like you have lived a good life with some ups and downs. .

ME TOO Tums - ME TOO!grin
Secret is hard work and clean livin' - laugh
Thanks,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Uh Oh - I am doomed...

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Tums,

I missed it also Cecil... Tums, You totally caught me off guard on your response! How about a little more info "earlier" next time.

Prayers to you and your young friends.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Posts made in "good faith" among the kind hearted people here , even if not totally correct in context , do not require an apology.

Tums - good for you in reaching out to help. Another example of a shining point of light in a sometimes harsh and brutal world. Well done !

I
I
Maybe a rubber snake or two by your porch?

Fake owls seem to work well in keeping pesty birds away. Especially when you move the location periodically.

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
... When I asked them about the toads and salmonella they rolled their eyes ...

My friends tell me that I remind them of "Si" on "Duck Dynasty." He is a few years younger. I too have a beard and glasses. I can only apologize if I'm way crazy.

Well into the last century, my friends and cousins played with pollywogs, salamanders, frogs, toads, etc.,. My grandkids and I still capture and play with these critters.

My kids were allowed to take many different kinds of turtles/tortoises/amphibians/fishes in "for the night" -- actually they usually stayed for at least a week before they were put back where they were found.

My granddaughter and I have 20-gallon aquarium with a bunch of different pollywogs -- toads, bullfrogs -- whatever is swimming in the settlement ponds.

Can't kids ride bicycles without armour? Can't kids have sling shots to shoot acorns, or a BB gun to shoot out their eyes?

What are we becoming?

I'm going out to the front porch to make sure my toads have adequate forage for the next few weeks!

The Curmudgeon

Exactly, listening to the professionals today my parents should have been jailed. Id toddle all over creation as a toddler, when we went to see grandma in KY as young as 3 or 4 Id wander all over the farm barefoot, chasin chickens, cats, bugs, snakes, toads. My brother got ringworm from cats and such I don't know how many times. No helmets or pads on when we rode bikes, no seatbelts in the car. Today most kids look pasty white, chunky, and scared of their own shadow. During summer mom would lock the screen door so we wouldn't keep going in or out, need a drink, theres the garden hose, now they say that will kill ya. We would dare each other to lick a toad, guess we were dumb, but wait, I raise my kids the same as I was raised, except now we live on farm full time, so far my kids are alright, maybe they're backwoods hillbillies, but that doesn't bother me none

But here I'm talking about the healthy kids, the ones lying about with no excuse except over protective parents and laziness. Now if one unfortunately has succumbed to a debilitating illness all due diligence must be paid to help them have some since of normalcy in their lives.

Praise God I never had an immunity issue, (except stupid seasonal allergies, thank God for antihistamines) But when I was 17 I was hit by a car while riding a motor bike, and was bed bound, then wheelchair bound for a year. Though only for a year, that year not being able to do what I enjoyed most was the longest most miserable year of my life. God used it to humble me, and help me to appreciate my good health, and be more sensitive to those not so equally blessed. So God bless you Tums for being willing to modify your life and make room for those special people.

Last edited by DairyFarmer; 08/19/13 10:31 AM.

If your job is something you enjoy youll never work a day in your life
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by Boondoggle - 05/03/24 08:25 AM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by Sunil - 05/03/24 07:21 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use