Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Theo Gallus, nvcdl, bmicek), 1,113 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#327208 03/25/13 08:00 AM
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Jodi noticed a "Norther Flicker" flying around a dead pine tree over the weekend looking like it was building a nest in the tree. A few minutes later, we were cleaning a bluebird nest and found a dead flicker next to a electric pole. I don't know if the bird was electrocuted or hit the pole but we didn't see any wounds. These birds are gorgeous and I hope they take up residence.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
They are beautiful creatures aren't they. we have about 5 of them that come to the bird feeder, and what seems like a hundred fat squirrels.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll see them eating ants around here at times.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Northern Flickers sure are colorful. What's weird is I have found more random dead Flickers than any other kind of bird put together. We have a good population in urban Lincoln, and I always have suet cakes for them, Downys and Red Bellied WPs. They also will take peanuts and sunflower seeds at my feeders.

DJ if you put out suet in a cake feeder you may be able to get them to hang around more often, if you don't already. I prefer the hanging feeders which forces them to feed from beneath only, otherwise I get a lot of Jays, Grackles and Starlings that will kill in a day or two. Get's expensive to feed those incidental birds.

I wonder why I've seen so many dead Flickers? Think they might peck at electrical lines they perch upon?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
I'll try the feeder and suet cake cause I'd like to see more.

thanks,

Lunker
Lunker
DJ this is type of upside down feeder that works for us well. We position it close to the sliding glass door and kitchen windows which face the backyard to afford a close up view of the various woodpeckers. We also get Carolina Wrens, and White and Red Breasted Nuthatches sometimes. They are all so agile and a blast to watch!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/181063738538?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
TJ, Bird man of Lincoln....

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That may be the species that was hammering my log home last year. I scared it off a few times but finally had to send some lead his or her way when it landed in a tree. Didn't want to do it but...

Don't know what it was thinking as the log home was recently resealed and there is no rotten wood or insects.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
That may be the species that was hammering my log home last year. I scared it off a few times but finally had to send some lead his or her way when it landed in a tree. Didn't want to do it but...

Don't know what it was thinking as the log home was recently resealed and there is no rotten wood or insects.

I'll just pretend you didn't type that...poor Flicker! smile

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Nobody said flickers are smart! I don't suppose their intelligence is what makes them special... It's the taste! hehe (NOTE: no flickers were harmed in the making of this post)

Lunker
Lunker
Flicker Fricassee? Brutal man! If you plan on harvesting them, forget the suet feeder plan, that doesn't allow them a sporting chance, DJ. Shame...

Lunker
Lunker
Northern Flickers like to eat ants and beetles.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/northernflicker/

Quote:
Northern flickers' fondness of ants has created another problem-a number of them have died after consuming ants contaminated with insecticides. One northern flicker's stomach contained almost 2,000 ants.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Did I say I killed it?

Truthfully I rarely kill anything anymore. I avoid it at all costs.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Gluttony (being one of the seven deadly sins) caused that Flicker to flicker out.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/northern_flicker/lifehistory

Quote:
Like most woodpeckers, Northern Flickers drum on objects as a form of communication and territory defense. In such cases, the object is to make as loud a noise as possible, and that’s why woodpeckers sometimes drum on metal objects. One Northern Flicker in Wyoming could be heard drumming on an abandoned tractor from a half-mile away.

Shorty #327310 03/25/13 03:54 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/northern_flicker/lifehistory

Quote:
Like most woodpeckers, Northern Flickers drum on objects as a form of communication and territory defense. In such cases, the object is to make as loud a noise as possible, and that’s why woodpeckers sometimes drum on metal objects. One Northern Flicker in Wyoming could be heard drumming on an abandoned tractor from a half-mile away.

Makes sense. But it was a NIMBY thing. LOL

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/25/13 03:54 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
I hear you, we have one that occasionally drums on the metal head of our windmill which is located right next to the house.

laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Last weekend, we had one doing a Ginger Baker reprisal on top of the Peterson BB house. Bluey was honked.

Lunker
Lunker
Love it Bski! Anyone have Pileated WP? They are on my hopeful list, along with Cedar Waxwings.

K
K
There are several pileated WP where I fish and hunt. Cedar waxwings love mulberry and holly trees. I was lucky enough to see a group of about 50 twice last year on a mulberry tree.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've seen both here. The Cedar Waxwings usually on their migration thru the area in the Spring. They really like picking any remaining small crab apples off of the tree near the house. Woody stays around all year. First time I saw one I was behind the house deer hunting and it landed in a nearby Oak tree to pick wild grapes off of the vine that was up in the crown of the tree. I never realized that we had that large of a woodpecker around here.

I've seen both Summer and Scarlet Tanagers, Indigo Buntings, Blue and Red Breasted Grossbeaks. Once, and that was 2 years ago I saw a wayward Painted Bunting here. I have no idea why it was up this far North. It was about a 2 second glimpse, then it was gone. I had to look in a bird book to see what it was. I thought it was a pet store escapee.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Both pileated and Flickers here. This winter we have a resident red-headed woodpecker at the suet, it is an incredible bird!

Yes, the flickers make the fatal mistake of eating yard chemicals such as the small ball-shaped insecticides. They happen to be the right size and they mistake them for gravel which is a good for their gizzards.

I am very much against treating lawns, for this and many other reasons, but I digress. My wife is tired of hearing me bitch about those perfect lawns in the tracts that are mono-cultures.

I probably spend a vast degree of my stewardship of my little 16 acres to provide habitat of all types to birds, so we get tremendous variety. The cost is my property resembles a bad haircut. I successfully have drawn in Towhees (Drink-your-teaeee!) and now they drive us bonkers as they are the first to wake in the morning.

Its those darned huge flocks of starlings I would like to get rid of though, except they can drain a yard of grubs in minutes.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have a photo sequence on game camera of a flicker being caught by a hawk. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it. They are neat birds...

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
TJ,
We saw two pileated WP eating the red seeds that magnolia trees produce last fall. They disappeared when Jodi ran for the camera. They bring to mind "Woody Woodpecker."

Their call is very distinctive and LOUD. We've heard them since but no more sightings.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt