Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,905
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Snipe, Kanon M, Boondoggle), 506 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I have read and read and read some more about which system or philosophy produces the best trophy largemouth bass. So, give me your best scenario with the ultimate pond for big bass. You have a 3 three acre lake located in Georgia. I'm ready to stock it so give me your best setup. Thanks pond bass.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Call Greg Grimes :-)

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What she said! wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Grimes has achieved some initial LMB growth rates that really have not been touched by anyone as of yet, if I recall correctly.

Part of the plan is going way, way, heavy on the initial forage stockings.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Damn. Saw Georgia and was coming on to say exactly that. Quick draw there Sue!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
For trophy LMB.

In a new pond with good water and cover and no fish. Spring add crawfish and frogs , then 2 weeks later add 2000 2-3 inch BG/CNBG per acre , and 100 5 inch BG/CNBG per acre , and 100 lbs FH and either 100 adult RES or 500 2-3 inch RES. 2 weeks later , assuming a plankton bloom then add 1 load of TShad. If not then 500 adult GShiners. In the fall add 100 6 inch Fla LMB females(no males). Replace 15 Fla LMB females each year after year 2. Feed and if needed fertilize. Keep good water quality. Limit fishing for LMB - 0 the first year, then limit LMB fishing to 500 man hours a year. No LMB harvest.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Two great ideas in five posts. If you don't do one or the other your chances of reaching the goal you ourlined in your post are greatly reduced. For assured success go with Greg.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
T
OP Offline
T
Wow, I'm still trying to process the info. Question: What's the growth rate and results from such stocking strategy? I thought that Florida bass got difficult to catch except on live bait. Is this a pond that you can't keep any bass?

Let me rephrase, what is the best for LMB and Putting a few on the dinner table?

What does FH, and RES stand for?

What about F-1 LMB or a combination of both F-1 and Florida bass and if possible what would be a stocking ratio?

I would like to keep the aggressiveness and catchability with occasionally putting a few in a deep fryer.

Does the old standard still apply for fertilization rates and removing 30-35 lbs. of bass per acre? Or is there a new strategy?

T
OP Offline
T
Who is Gregg Grimes and how do you get in contact with him?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Go here and tell him PB sent you

http://www.lakework.com/

Commonly Used Acronyms (Abbreviations)
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

What I provided above for you was for a trophy LMB lake. Your goal is the key. Trophy LMB lakes have fewer LMB of bigger size with limited fishing to avoid the catchability problem. You get a few big bites. In that case catch and eat a few of the BG. A 3 acre trophy LMB pond with 100 8 lb LMB will have 266 lbs of predators per acre and 800 total lbs of predators. To keep them at 8 lbs they will each need 10 lbs of forage a year or 1000 lbs of BG , shad , shiners etc. To get to 9 lbs they will need twice that amount.

You can , and many of us do , have a balanced pond with LMB reproduction. But know in advance that while you can have a couple trophies in the mix keeping balance in a LMB/BG pond is like balancing on a knife edge. Their normal condition is to revert to the mean and be either LMB crowded or BG crowded.

Last edited by ewest; 02/22/13 02:58 PM.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Travis brown
I would like to keep the aggressiveness and catchability with occasionally putting a few in a deep fryer.

Does the old standard still apply for fertilization rates and removing 30-35 lbs. of bass per acre? Or is there a new strategy?

I personally harvest all Bass caught under 16" after year 3 (12" from year 2 to 3).
Read this quote From MSU and you can see how they come about the 35# removed from fertilized ponds.
Producing big bass requires a commitment to proper harvest of bass. Do not harvest bass the first two years after stocking. Beginning in year three, harvest 15 (30 for fertilized ponds) pounds of bass per acre each year that are less than 12 inches. Removing these small bass reduces competition with remaining bass, providing more food for those that remain. Also, remove 5 pounds (10 for fertilized ponds) of bass per acre that are 12 to 15 inches each year. Release all bass over 15 inches unless you harvested them as trophies. Harvest bream as desired. Important: Supplying additional food alone will not produce trophy bass. Bass harvest must occur consistently! The biggest mistake in bass management is catch and release of all bass. Small bass need to be harvested to allow more food for fast growth of intermediate-sized bass.

http://msucares.com/wildfish/fisheries/farmpond/management/trophy_bass.html

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Hi Travis-
Great project, great thread.
Originally Posted By: ewest
Their normal condition is to revert to the mean and be either LMB crowded or BG crowded.

This is absolutely true-I think there's less mystery about how to grow some really big bass than how to maintain the fishery the way you want it. If you're really committed to and enjoy harvisting bass, a trophy pond with reproducing fish will work. But back off even a little on the harvest, and you'll severely stress the forage base with smaller bass. The number of "help! small bass/big bluegill" theads on here is not a coincidence. And if you're fishing/harvesting lot, some of your fish will doubtless become hookshy. I don't have any answers here, just some more food for thought. I'd definitely conribute to the chorus recommending Greg's input on this, keep reading and you can at least have a good list of questions to discuss with him.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tums Wes Neal from MS State wrote that 3 years ago. He has spoken at several PB conventions as have his students. Good people.

It is good info but since that time several studies have shown better results with stocking more fish to start. 3000 + BG per acre if it will be a reproducing LMB pond. I like more forage sources added in like TShad , craws , frogs and GShiners. Note my suggestion was 2000 + some adult spawning BG as well in a non-reproducing LMB pond.

T
T
Ewest, I agree about stocking more. I have been doing high numbers (up to 5K per acre) since the 90's. I was more posting that about the harvesting question Travis had.
Edit I have had limited contact with those at MSU and felt they where like what you are saying.

Last edited by Tums; 02/22/13 04:00 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the response. Fishermen and fisherwomen are good people. What about a combination of F1 and florida bass. Your right I have to find the right balance but I also have to say I have "kidos" , so needless to say we make sacrifices.

How about a F1/ Florida bass combo with a 30/ 1 ratio. With all the extras, some crawdad, CNBG/RES, FH? Can I get a happy medium for me and the family. Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

T
OP Offline
T
I created depth, structure and habitat for each species. Emphasizing humps, flats , ledges. Should all this play a positive effect on there predator / prey relationship. How does this work in relation to the increased stocking rates?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When ewest wrote about the stocking info., the 100 Florida LMB that he recommended stocking were ALL female - I believe that's why he said no LMB harvest and limit the man hours fishing.

If the LMB stocked aren't 100% single sex, then it'll be a job keeping it on the knife edge.

That's what is so great about this forum. We're on the cutting edge of pond management. Who'd have thought 10 years ago that pond data that was only 3 years old is now out of date?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
I created depth, structure and habitat for each species. Emphasizing humps, flats , ledges. Should all this play a positive effect on there predator / prey relationship. How does this work in relation to the increased stocking rates?

What about thick brush of the yoy BG? Otherwise those listed structures are just ambush points.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That just means that you won't have to keep adding forage fish on a yearly basis. In my pond, due to the fluctuating water level, I find that the LMB can be much more successful predators when there is no cover for the forage fish to hide in. I am struggling to keep the LMB in balance and have a sufficient forage base. The goal for my pond this year is to rectify that situation by incerasing the cover available for forage fish to hide in at all water depths.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D

Here is my plan for a 2.5 acre trophy LMB pond.

Add as much cover/habitat as possible including rip rap (crawfish), pea gravel (BG nesting), Xmas trees (BG & GSH fry), pallets (FHM nesting), brush piles, laydowns, etc..(LMB hangouts).

Aerate.

Feed.

Fertilize.

Fall:
25 pounds FHM
25 pounds GSH
1000 papershell crayfish
1000 grass shrimp

Following Spring:
2000 5"-7" BG
1000 3"-5" BG
1000 3-5" RES

Following Spring (1 yr after BG/RES stocking):
100 F1 Tiger LMB fingerlings
100 Northern Gorilla LMB fingerlings

With this plan you should your LMB survival rate should be 80-90% (Thanks Greg!).

Harvast males only heavily the next spring. You will be able to tell the males/females apart during spawning season. If you catch a female clip the fins. If you catch the same female again remove it. Harvast about 80 LMB total, say 60 males and 20 females. This leaves you with about 100 LMB, 30 males and 70 females.

Second LMB year continue to harvast all males, twice caught females and any fish under 12".

By LMB year three spring you should have about 40 females up to 5 pounds each. Keep harvasting small LMB and larger males.

Thats my plan after lots of PondBoss research.

Thoughts?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sounds good. My only question is why remove the Female LMB if caught twice?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks guys. Feel free to submit email. Greg@lakework.com or matt@lakework.com. I can email stocking plan etc. I'm out of town until next week. Thanks and good luck.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In a way, it all depends on whether you want great fish or great fishing. I would do too much forage, all female bass, and restrict my fishing to twice a year.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
I would remove the twice caught females in case they get hook shy. That way I leave the large forage for females that are not hook shy. I'm probably overstocking anyways for a trophy LMB pond. That is why I will need to harvast so much. I (and kids and friends) want to be able to fish it fairly heavily. The other route of stocking only females would not work well for us smile

Last edited by DKCard; 02/22/13 05:23 PM.
T
T
Had to do it j/k
once bitten twice shy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem