Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#322594 02/19/13 12:21 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I want to start out by saying thanks,since finding this site I finally feel like I have the tools and knowledge base to take my pond to the next level.With that said I am starting to feel like a underwater map or survey of sorts might be a wise investment due to the fact that my BOW is a old borrow pit.The budget for playing in my puddle is tight but I feel like this would help me to effectively place cover vs just tossing it in and pray it works.

My question is what does something like this cost?Who does it and if it is cost prohibitive do you guys think I could at least get a good enough guess with gps and a depth finder and use the money for a shock survey instead?

anyways I've hopefully attached a google earth link to my pond and thanks again

my pond

Hey,

I think that there were similar threads before and you can try to search for them.
Anyway, you can create depth my by yourself using fishfinder and software (for example Dr.Depth - http://www.drdepth.se/).
About fishfinder - you'll need not a simple toy but something more advanced with GPS on it.

Last year I bought Lowrance Mark-4x for fishing. It has GPS in it but it's not able to record depth data. Although it's possible when laptop is attached to it. If you got some chartplotter device then you will be able to work with it only.

So, the costs could be: Fishfinder + boat + software.
If you are able to borrow a boat and fishfinder for some time then everything that's left is software price ($ 140). If you steal it then it's almost for free smile (I didn't count your time and similar stuff).

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Several of us in the private sector are partners with the mapping network. We offer all levels of mapping. You can do some mapping with newer higher end depth sounders but usually require software. Then you have to know how to use the data. The level of accuracy is limited even WAss corrected versions. I suggest you contact mapping network and see if partner is in your area. Coat will depend on size and shape and amount of depth change in your lake. It is a great asset. .

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
I want to start out by saying thanks,since finding this site I finally feel like I have the tools and knowledge base to take my pond to the next level.With that said I am starting to feel like a underwater map or survey of sorts might be a wise investment due to the fact that my BOW is a old borrow pit.The budget for playing in my puddle is tight but I feel like this would help me to effectively place cover vs just tossing it in and pray it works.

My question is what does something like this cost?Who does it and if it is cost prohibitive do you guys think I could at least get a good enough guess with gps and a depth finder and use the money for a shock survey instead?

anyways I've hopefully attached a google earth link to my pond and thanks again

my pond

A Lowrance HDS GPS/Depthfinder and some simple software is all you need. Dr. Depth as mentioned provides EXCELLENT personal support in addition to Golden Software. Also, check out the following link for some facts on the accuracy of WAAS which is available with the Lowrance HDS systems. For what you need, these systems will fit your budget and needs.
http://www.cibiobase.com/t-cibiobase-faq.aspx

Jeff Gray (Aquatic Biologist)
"Jack of All Trades.....Master of Some"
F
F
It might have been Ken-Catmandoo that did this with an inexpensive unit of some sort. Not positive though.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I have plan in process to map Bremer Pond. The intent is to use GPS coordinates, depth soundings and actual physical measurements/bearings from a central point.

The public's version of GPS isn't very accurate so the central point measurements/bearings will take up that slack.

Being a fully equipped geek, I have the tools.

Once the mapping portion is complete I want to add video for each under water feature (structure) with directional video coordinates incorporated.

Time is the primary limitation on a project like this, though I do have a coordinate technician on standby.

As everyone knows, I enjoy documenting projects with plenty of photos.
My first docudrama circa 2006: Sore Backs

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dwight

What are the geek tools? I'm interested!

R
OP Offline
R
I'm once again overloaded with info smile I recently installed a Furuno chart plotter/fish finder on my dads boat that I think may be up to the job.If it works I just hope he doesn't miss it while i borrow it.

Greg I'm not one to underestimate the value of a professional and I understand the level of accuracy will be less then a pro survey. But if I can do it from my jon boat it will 1. allow me to look at my neighboring state owned ponds and 2.I feel at this point in time the money saved would be better spent with a pro later on.

While it has been a long day the Drdepth seems better then my dad's idea of a string strung across the lake with a weight and a sheet of graph paper laugh

Robert, to add more fuel to the fire, Navico/Lowrance has just added Insight.

Insight

If you decide to use the Furuno, I would make sure the SD data format it records is compatible with DrDepth. Bruce Sampson told me DrDepth plays best with Lowrance units.

AL

If your format is not compatible with DrDepth then try maybe GPSBabel or similar software that can convert your format [probably] to another compatible format.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Dwight

What are the geek tools? I'm interested!

Pinpoint Sonar Network on my Bass boat, Aqua Vue underwater camera/DVR and lot of computer gear.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
R
OP Offline
R
Fireishot,I talked to a friend of mine who does marine electronics yesterday about the Insight.he was quite impressed with it but said it is only available on a few of the high end units at the moment,but expects to see it on others by the late spring early summer.Seems like I have a lowrance purchase in the near future for my Checkmate I use to bass fish wink

Any ideas on how to convince my wife I'll be saving money by buying a new depth sounder laugh

J
J
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
Any ideas on how to convince my wife I'll be saving money by buying a new depth sounder laugh

Does she like to fish?

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: jludwig

Does she like to fish?

No but she likes when I go fishing because it gets me out of the house laugh If she comes along she'll bring a book and read to relax.

Robert if you're just wanting a GPS-Graph, the Lowrance HDS 7 Elite looks like a good option. Much cheaper than the HDS Gen2's, but I believe you're giving up sidescan. The sidescan would be very advantageous for lake mapping.

Once I get all my lake have-to's done the Spring, I think I'll go with an eBayed HDS Gen1 Lowrance and DrDepth. I can see a local market for mapping with gallery wraps, laminated maps, etc. Just have to decide if the effort warrants the expense.

As far as convincing your wife, good luck. I've had mixed results with the same issue.

AL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails