Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,064
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,553
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
15 members (Angler8689, Jason D, Snipe, JoshMI, Boondoggle, esshup, Brian from Texas, Sunil, azteca, Jambi, Theo Gallus, tim k, Ibanez540r, FishinRod, Don Kennedy), 842 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DRD II Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Let me know your recipe for refilling your bucket if you don't mind. Do you replace the packing worms? I haven't even opened the bucket yet. Should I take the bucket out periodically to check how much is gone? It seems that maybe I have been seeing a little of that surface junk but until I read that reply it didn't dawn on me that that's what could have been the cause.

DRD II
I
I
i've used the fertilizer buckets, they are great, had a bloom in 2 days. used 3 in my 7 acre pond. tried 2 buckets the first time, but not enough. i've been told to refill buckets with DAP you can get from farm supply, AND refill with packing peanuts/worms that you can get cheap from your local UPS place. good luck

D
DRD II Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks FishingMark, I,m originally from Searcy, AR but have a lot of friends in your neck of the woods. Mainly around Flippin and Yellville. Ever fish Crooked Creek for smallmouth? I've heard it's and awesome spot.

DRD II
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mark, What is DAP and why would you use packing peanuts?

J
JM Offline
J
Hey DRD II,

I reused the existing styrofoam and peanuts that were in the bucket. It was pretty easy to do, just make sure the wind isn't blowing too hard. I dumped the peanuts into another empty bucket that I had. I dumped the leftover mucky stuff from the SE bucket and then refilled with 0-40-0 granules, that I got from the local co-op. They don't disolve as quickly as the original SE fertilizer, but its kept the bloom going.

When you open it up, the styrofoam and peanuts are on top. I refilled to where the new fertilizer just covers the top slits. You may want to fill just below that, as that is what I plan to do next time. You'll see how its packed and realize that its easy.

G'luck.

John
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
If ya just geta 5 gallon bucket with a lid turn it upside down, drill holes in bottom half (or top half now), put in 30 pounds of fertilizer, weight down the handle, and turn it loose it will float atound till it empties. I put in 2 screws on the sides of the lid to make sure it does not come off. Works like a champ.

J
JM Offline
J
I'm sure that would work too, maybe the threads wouldn't strip too much after removing and replacing the lid a few times. It would also require ruining a perfectly good bucket though ;-). However if you have one that someone, say a son, daughter, wife, or husband has sat on and broke then by all means it would work very well as you mentioned.

However, DRD was simply asking about reusing the SE buckets that he and I already have. The anchor is already built into the bottom and since it floats upright, there is no worry about it losing its lid or contents.

John
I
I
DAVE...DAP aka diammonium phosphate...please reference under fertilizing "what type of fertilizer" inititiated by KLINGER. cheap, and can get it at feed store.

i put new styrofoam peanuts in my SE buckets because the old ones got all mucked up. put them in the top portion of the bucket to keep it afloat. also, the buckets are great because if you happen to run into an overfert. problem, you can take them out of the water immediately.

DRD.... you are from Searcy, AR originally...great! I went to Harding University (the private christian college there). great town! did a lot of fishing around there. And BOY, do i know crooked creek. i grew up fishing it..great smallmouth. i grew up in Yellville. so email me at ilovefishingmark@yahoo.com and we'll catch up on who you know around this area. if you are ever up this way i'll take you to crooked creek, have a great spot there. Mark Williams

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:44 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!