Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,114
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,561
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sryously, esshup, Deancutler, John Fitzgerald, Fishingadventure, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, DPSMESA), 1,166 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NCMike Offline OP
OP Offline
N
One question for the group....water level....when is it the lowest? Right now? As we hit winter but havent hit the winter storms?

The reason I ask is the water level on the new property is down a few inches from a 3-4 weeks ago. I assume as the temps cool and evaporation slows down it will regulate and then fill over the winter and spring? Sound right?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I would think it is highly variable on so many factors. Seems like rainfall is so chaotic here that is always different from year to year.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mike,

I've lived in VA/WV for nearly 40 years. Most years -- depends on tropical storms and hurricanes, but mid-July through early September usually have the lowest water levels in ponds, streams, and rivers.

Here is a link to average rainfall over a 30 year period of time. 30 Year Average Rainfall for Cities in US

Monthly average rainfall stays pretty consistent year around in Virginia, at 3-4 inches per month, but there there are major differences in what happens with that water during different times of the year. The rains in July through early September are more typically from thunderstorm activity instead of two to three day light rain/snow at other times of the year.

I tried to find historical average river flow charts from USGS, but I don't know where they went. But, in years gone by, I've looked at them closely, and it is very interesting to see how much the flow rate drops in rivers like the James, the Rappahannock, the Shenandoah, etc., during July, August and September. There will be two or three day spikes from thunderstorms, but in general they are down considerably from other times of the year.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I didn't find exactly what I was looking for above, but this website Estimated Monthly Streamflow Entering Chesapeake Bay shows quite a bit of data.

The link above is for 2010 compared to long term averages, above normal, and below normal. You can use the right-left arrows to look back about 30 years at the graphs, and they stay pretty consistent.

I believe that the Chesapeake Bay Watershed very accurately represents the expected average water levels throughout Virginia.

As I mentioned above, the lowest periods are basically July through September -- and from personal experience, that is really from about the second week of July through the second or third week of September.

If I was going to build a new pond, that would be a good time to start moving dirt.

In the eight years we've owned this place, our pond/s have generally always been above full pool until early July, and are back at full pool by around mid October. Except for this year, they have always been below full pool from sometime in July to sometime in late September.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
N
NCMike Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I know this is an old old thread but I finally made it back out to the property this past weekend....WOW the water level is as high as it can go and my 2.5 acre pond is probably 3 acres now. It is actually running out of the overflow (not a lot).

This is a great sign because the dam isnt leaking and the water levels are high, I guess it was only the drought in South Central VA!

The other good news is I actually saw some fish surfacing to eat, the first sign of fish I have had.

It was exciting to spend the weekend out there. It was cold (Mid to low 30's) but camping next to MY POND was pretty awesome and waking up to the pond views was even better.

K
K
Great news NCMike, we did have a dry year so maybe this year your pond will stay close to full pool.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great to hear NCMike!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In a drought.. Or when your ponds being drained smile

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/27/13 05:23 AM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Typically at the end of summer. But what is considered typical anymore?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: NCMike
....water level....when is it the lowest?

Before the dawn? Wait that's darkest not lowest....

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dlowrance whats the specs on those fish in your avatar they look nice.. One looks like it has bulging eyeball syndrome as I call it..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

K
K
Water levels in our area of Va. is lowest right before the first hurricane that comes through,usually mid-Aug.-Sept. If we don't have a hurricane then you are screwed.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:53 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:50 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:38 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:09 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 11:29 AM
RES in new pond with no plants
by RAH - 05/01/24 09:40 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond