Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas
18,511 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,984
Posts558,189
Members18,512
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
13 members (JKK, DPSMESA, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, geauxbrown, bmo, papereater, nvcdl, Jambi, Boondoggle, Brian from Texas, oldgeekinnc), 1,171 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#304103 08/22/12 01:27 PM
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I am in the concept phase for constructing a small scale (1-2 acre) flooded corn field for ducks. It would be be right off my current 2.5 acre duck slough. I am looking for do's and dont's for this project. Anybody here have experience building one of these and like to share some of their knowledge?

Thank you

Last edited by mnfish; 08/22/12 02:23 PM. Reason: sensitivity to others notice
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Sorry MN I don't have any advice for you, but I would like to request we officially ban the following words from the forum:

Flood
Rain
Droplet
Mist
Thunder
Lightning
Cats
Dogs
Noah
Ark

....and any other words that remotely suggest precipitation in any manner until our drought has ended.

Thank you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Corn plants will not take standing in (two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen) for more than a day or two, so basically you'll have to plant the corn, (pump or drain a lot of the aforementioned clear, colorless odorless substance) on it about this time of year when ears have developed kernels, and then get it dried out again in time to plant the next spring.
After the first year you'll likely need to use an insecticide to prevent rootworms.

Last edited by Bullhead; 08/22/12 02:52 PM.
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Is that any better TJ? wink

Lunker
Lunker
Obviously Richard has elected to disregard the ban, and included the worst offending word of the bunch: WATER. Consider yourself on secret probation...care to go for double secret?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
fixed it

J
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sorry MN I don't have any advice for you, but I would like to request we officially ban the following words from the forum:

Flood
Rain
Droplet
Mist
Thunder
Lightning
Cats
Dogs
Noah
Ark

....and any other words that remotely suggest precipitation in any manner until our drought has ended.

Thank you.

You just think your drought is bad. We are going on year 3 or 4 of ours.....

Lunker
Lunker
Thank you, vast improvement, BH. Did you hear we may actually receive some of the afforementioned sky juice this week?

J
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Thank you, vast improvement, BH. Did you hear we may actually receive some of the afforementioned sky juice this week?

Us too. Crossing my fingers...

M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I'm pulling for all you guys who are in much need for that anti-dryness substance!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Be careful on what is done to crops that are in the area where waterfowl is hunted. I'll do some digging to show you what Indiana says about it.

Found it:

This is from the Indiana DNR. Federal laws on baiting waterfowl are strict. In talking with a Conservation Officer, he said that if waterfowl is under the influence (i.e. flying to a baited area) then the hunter, even if they didn't know the area 1/4 mile away (or more) was baited, could be in trouble.

Entry Description
Before dove and waterfowl hunters take to drought-affected fields this hunting season, they should take time first to review baiting laws.

Baiting can be a complicated issue. It can become more complicated in years in which drought conditions have pushed many farmers to destroy their standing agricultural crops. It is imperative that hunters keep in mind what is legal and what is not legal during waterfowl and dove hunting seasons.

What is legal?

You can hunt waterfowl on, over, or from:

• Standing crops or flooded standing crops
• Standing, flooded, or manipulated natural vegetation
• Flooded harvested croplands
• Lands or areas where grains or top-sown seeds have been scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural practices.

You can hunt doves on, over or from:

• Standing crops
• Lands where seeds or grain have been scattered solely as a result of normal agricultural practices
• Lands planted as wildlife food plots
• Lands planted as pasture improvements or for the purpose of grazing livestock.
• Standing or manipulated natural vegetation
• Agricultural crops that have been manipulated.

What is illegal?

You cannot hunt waterfowl in:

• Areas where grain or seed has been top-sown.
• Crops that have been harvested outside of the recommended harvest dates.
• Unharvested crops that have been trampled by livestock or subjected to other types of manipulations that scatter, distribute or expose the grain.
• Freshly planted wildlife food plots that contain exposed grain.
• Areas where grain is present or stored.
• Croplands where a crop has been harvested and the removed grain is redistributed or “added back” onto the area where it was grown.

You cannot hunt doves in:

• Areas where grain, seed, salt or feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered.
• Areas where grain is in piles or other concentrations.
• Freshly planted wildlife food plots that contain exposed grain.

**Reminder: It is legal to hunt doves on, over, or from manipulated agricultural lands. It is NOT legal to hunt waterfowl on, over, or from manipulated agricultural lands.

Below are a few potentially common scenarios for the upcoming dove/waterfowl seasons.

• If a farmer mows his agricultural fields in September due to crop insurance payments, a hunter cannot hunt it for waterfowl because waterfowl cannot be hunted over manipulated agricultural lands. However, this field can be hunted for doves.
• If a wildlife food plot is planted a few weeks before you are going to dove or waterfowl hunt, can you hunt it? Yes, if the grain is not exposed.
• You decide to put out grain to attract birds. It has been eight days since you last put out grain. Can you hunt this area? No. An area is considered baited until 10 days after all the grain has been removed from the area.

Last edited by esshup; 08/22/12 06:12 PM. Reason: added info

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Thanks for the info. The laws can be gray and difficult to interpret some times that's for sure. And this year with farmers turning under crops, drought, it has become even more gray. For me, I wouldn't hunt any fields that weren't harvested by normal means. Not worth the risk.

As long as the crop has not been manipulated before or after flooding, all is legal. And that is what I'm planning on doing. I have wild rice and sago growing in my duck pond just wanted to add another level of management.

J
J
Wisconsin and minnesota it is perfectly legal,, not grey . Normal cultivation or farming practices , it's no different than planting a food plot and putting a tree stand next to it,,,,, now you dump a pile of beans or corn on that field , you are then baiting .( not legal for waterfowl.) I'n Wisconsin we can put out 2 gallons per 40 for deer. I'n some counties there is no baiting or feeding laws for deer.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Federal migratory birds laws make my head hurt.

J
J
The definition of wetlands make mine hurt...

M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Jamie,
I am only talking about waterfowl (federally regulated as well as state). I am not a law expert but from what I've gathered this year it is very grey. The word that is causing the question is "normal". Tilling under a crop of stunted corn to get paid on crop insurance could be argued as not "normal" farming practices. If a field has not been harvested before knocking it down or turning it over the seed out in the field can be considered bait. Of course, the field can be hunted 10 days after the seed has been consumed.

Also, there are a lot of conversations this year between state CO's federal CO's. I believe they are having a tough time agreeing. Like I stated, I don't want to end up in court arguing a case. To me, it wouldn't be worth the hassel and potential costs.

Last edited by mnfish; 08/22/12 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think what you are proposing is 100% legal and would work fine.

But, the grey area would come into play if cornstalks w/ears were knocked over and laying in the water even if during the course of normal hunting/retrieving practices.

The state of Indiana gave the example of livestock knocking over the crop. I wonder if hunting could do the same thing.

I know it all depends on the individual officer, but grey areas are just that, grey and open to interpretation. I'd hate to have to hire an atty just to get the charges dropped and get my hunting gear back. I'd talk to the local officers that would be patrolling the area and ask them just to be sure.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
I would call your local conservation warden, what can it hurt. Then he's the guy that write the ticket anyways.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Drain it to clear it?
by JKK - 05/03/24 04:31 PM
Lemonade Water
by geauxbrown - 05/03/24 03:26 PM
What made this noise?
by shooterlurespond - 05/03/24 02:02 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/03/24 01:00 PM