Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (FishinRod, Sunil), 1,077 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#300459 07/24/12 12:11 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We have had four fledgings of wood ducklings from our two boxes this year. The female always leaves with the ducklings within just a few minutes and takes them through the woods to the undeveloped property next door. I caught the last fledging with my video surveillance system. The 4-channel version illustrates the ducklings climbing out of the box and then jumping to the water. http://youtu.be/LWFF0ijnWx0
You can make out three splashes that looked to me like bass trying to catch the ducklings as they landed. It looked like the third one was probably successful. The single channel version looked even more convincing. http://youtu.be/rVBLPSs2UNY
The duckling that jumped just after the large splash moved across the water to Mama really fast; I guess it saw what had just happened to his sibling, and wanted no part of that.

The bass were stocked in the summer of 2010, and the largest we have caught so far are a just a little over one pound. The survival rate of wood ducklings is pretty low, and I guess bass are one reason.

Ducklings never survive more than a few days on our pond. Between the bass and the snapping turtles, they have zero chance.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great vid's F Charlie!
M Nature can be cruel, but such is the circle of life. This is why we stocked SMB instead of LMB. Regretfully, our snapping turtle population is much less regulated.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, they can be regulated. Trot line and chicken gizzards. You shouldn't catch any of your other fish in the pond that way either.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
It has always been disappointing that the female wood ducks take the ducklings away as soon as they leave the box. I know they are shy, but I wish I could figure a way to get them to hang around longer. In early spring I have seen as many as a dozen wood ducks on the one acre pond, and I have seen no indication of snapping turtles getting them. The area around the pond is mostly centipede with some oaks and maples on the west side where the boxes are. I don't want it to go completely wild, but I would be interested in suggestions for plantings that would encourage them to hang around.

Last year I started a small auxiliary 30 foot diameter pond to be separated from the main pond with a small dam. But the water came up before I got the dam finished. The eventual plan for the little pond is as a habitat safe from the bass for frogs and other critters. I may move one of the boxes to the middle of the little pond to give the ducklings at least a few minutes of protection.

Any other ideas?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FarmerCharlie
I may move one of the boxes to the middle of the little pond to give the ducklings at least a few minutes of protection.

Any other ideas?

Put 'em on land. A quote from the Wood Duck Society:
Quote:
Nest boxes can be installed on land or in water. On land, a shoreline installation is fine, but not necessary. Wood ducks have been known to use tree cavities and nest boxes up to a mile away from water. Land-based boxes can be monitored on a walk-up basis, do not require boats or waders, and eliminate worries about varying water levels and bending of poles from ice-out conditions in the north. In teaching situations, it is safer and easier to bring students nose-to-nose with a clutch of eggs using land-based boxes.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I have always put my boxes in the water, because I figured it might be a little harder for predators to get to the boxes. But now that my bass have grown large enough to become predators, I may rethink that strategy. Putting it in the frog pond may be a good compromise--that is, if I ever actually get the frog pond finished. smile

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Have you thought about just putting down some kind of fish cage in the big pond, and using that for frog/duckling habitat? That should keep bass out, and it'd be a heck of a lot easier than building a second pond.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any experience with Black-bellied Whistler ducks?

For the last 3 years, we've had nesting birds, and everything I read says the Lake Fork TX area is to far North for them. Apparently you can build nesting boxes very similar to wood ducks, but I'm not sure the warmer weather hasn't caused this somehow.

We had 30 on the lake this morning, and they almost seem tame. They just swim across the lake if I'm mowing or on the mule, and never seem to care one way or the other. Momma loves them, and I would love to keep them coming back.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ya talking about these guys?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
That's them. Were these pics from Indiana? If so, then their range is a lot farther north than the interweb led me to believe?

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope, they were from a buddy's property that is about 60 miles East of Dallas. He has wood duck nesting boxes on his property and both the woodies and whistling ducks use the boxes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Great, thanks. Now I have a plan. The Whistler's love the reeds I leave around the East side of the lake so I think I have my winter projects lined out. More Blue Bird houses and start building duck houses.

And 60 miles East of Dallas is pretty close to where my place is at also. Glad to find out that their range is moving North. They're very interesting little birds.

thanks, esshup.

AL

esshup, have you talked to your Miller Grove guy lately? Whistler's rolled in this week almost to the exact same day as last year. They're almost tame, and have seemed to have adopted a resident Mallard that moved here from a neighbor's pond this summer.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've been meaning to give him a shout and now's an even better reason!

When does season open down there? He said they usually bail out of there by the time hunting season rolls around.

Hopping on the phone now.....

Last edited by esshup; 09/12/13 09:05 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

I believe it's Nov 2nd for Hopkins Co.

AL

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Anyone who would shoot black-bellied whistling ducks would probably find nothing wrong with shooting kittens.
The ducks are increasing their numbers and their range.
Nesting boxes for whistling ducks need to be about two inches larger than wood duck boxes and need a five inch diameter access port.
They are trusting, easily approached and easily domesticated. I had dozens of them around my ponds until some jerks decided to cook up a few. They have never returned and neither will the jerks.

Dudley, just curious. How did the hunter's get on your place, were they trespassers?

We don't allow hunting of any type on our property, so I'm just wondering how you handled it.

AL

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry

The ducks are increasing their numbers and their range.
Nesting boxes for whistling ducks need to be about two inches larger than wood duck boxes and need a five inch diameter access port.

I wish some would show up on my pond in east central Alabama. I would gladly evict the ungrateful woodies and modify my boxes for the more sociable whistling ducks. The woodies grace my pond beginning in January, but flee if I even step out in the front yard. The females raise two or three broods in each of my two boxes each year, but leave with their babies the day after hatching--never to be seen again.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dudly, I think I'd draw the line at kittens. Feral cats? That's a different story.

I'd like to get one drake and have it on the wall as a conversation piece for the duck hunters that come to the house up here. They would have no idea what it was.

Just like I'd love to have a pair of Woodies mounted on part of a tree that had a large woodpecker hole or a rotted out branch so it looked like it was a nesting site. I'd go so far as to get a freeze dried duckling that was colored like a baby woodie and possibly have it peeking out of the nest hole.

When I lived in So. Cal I raised Woodies and Mandarin Ducks. Had to have approval from the DNR, and also had to pinion them so they couldn't fly even tho the cage was completely enclosed. Both are cavity nesters, and about the same size.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
FIH, they were boys. One was the son of a Christian man who sometimes helped me; the other was a friend of that boy. Out of respect of the father, I gave permission to the son to fish my ponds.
Knowing that few things are fun alone, I didn't object when he brought his friend along. After a while they decided to start killing anything alive. Whatever was alive, they wanted dead. When I found a poorly built blind on the pond bank, I mentioned it to the father who told me that his son and his friend had done it. I banned both boys from the property unless they were with the father. Later, I discovered that the son's friend and another boy had vandalized my camp and sheds, stealing a rifle, shotgun and other items, and drowning my trail cameras.
Out of respect for the father, his son is still allowed on the property if with the father. The other boy isn't allowed on the property at all. Actually, I might allow him on the property if he showed up with Jesus holding his hand. The third boy just turned 18 and I haven't reported him to authorities, choosing to let him move into adulthood without the problems that an arrest would introduce right out of the chute.
Wise or not, that's how I handled it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It always seems to happen.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?