Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,025
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (canyoncreek, Sunil, Jason D, Boondoggle, jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, STG, phinfan, catscratch), 1,281 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
This is really hard to post but Mason passed away the evening of 7/11/12. My wife fed the dogs and let them out a couple of hours later. When she went to bring them in, Mason wasn't with the others. She found him in one of his favorite napping spots by the pond.

My vet said he was approx. 16 yrs old.But his health had been going down the last couple of months. Mason had lost hearing in one ear and was having a very hard time seeing.(Vet said he may have had a stroke). He never lost control of his bowels though and still had a strong appetite. Thats why I couldn't put him to sleep. He went out on his own terms.

Mason was bone thin when Rainman brought him to me (Thanks again Rex) but he never had an empty bowl in our house. He only had a collar and leash on once or twice. He knew where his food was. It took him a while to figure out that there was always going to be food for him.

We have a New Foundland puppy(8 months)that he would snap at for trying to eat his food. But she tried to get him up to play while he was laying where he passed. She gave up but layed beside him with her head across his back for over 2 hours. Who would have figured that?

Anyway its not hard bringing in an older dog into your home but it it sure is rough losing him.

Again RIP Mason.

B
B
I have something in my eyes RIP. Mason

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
RIP And many thanks to you and Rex for giving him a great senior life !!

Sorry buddy. Sounds like he led a great life.

AL

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm glad he found a good home and lived out the rest of his life loved and cared for. So many dogs and cats don't get that chance. Too many idiots abusing animals or they're too selfish or irresponsible to take care of pets.

Thank you Hang_Loose and thank you Rex for transporting him to your place.

Sounds like he didn't suffer which is always a plus.

Really heart warming about your NewFoundland puppy laying with him when he passed.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Two Pond Boss members showed a lot of compassion in giving Mason a good home. Hang-loose and Rainman went out of their way to give an abused animal a good home. These guys are great representatives of a fishing family I am proud to be a member of. I'm glad we got to meet Mason when he came through on his trip to his new life.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
hang_loose:

My condolences to you and to your family. It's hard when a pet passes on. Thanks for taking Mason in. He WAS thin! I saw Mason on his trip East with Rex.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bing
Two Pond Boss members showed a lot of compassion in giving Mason a good home. Hang-loose and Rainman went out of their way to give an abused animal a good home. These guys are great representatives of a fishing family I am proud to be a member of. I'm glad we got to meet Mason when he came through on his trip to his new life.

You forgot about the "TRUE HEART" in this, Anna! Without her, Mason would never have had a chance.

Thanks much to Rex for being involved, and HL for making Mason's dreams come true!

Hey Mason, go hook up with Luna! She would like a big brother!

Now my keyboard is getting wet frown

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
So sad to hear the news. Go easy, Mason.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I remember Rainman telling me that shortly after he picked up Mason, Mason bit him. So, Rainman bit him back. Then all was good.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
HL, sorry for your loss. At least he had a good last couple of years.
You did a very nice thing...

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Mason will meet us at Rainbow Bridge running and playing and jumping with joy .

Who would have thought that an old hound dog from AL would be saved , moved cross country to Hang Loose's place and been loved and cared for by so many here.

Hang Loose , Anna and Rex we are grateful for your efforts and so is Mason.

He even started to smile for the camera and was grinning from ear to ear when I left.

Here is the story. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=208902&page=1

Last edited by ewest; 07/14/12 10:01 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I remember Rainman telling me that shortly after he picked up Mason, Mason bit him. So, Rainman bit him back. Then all was good.

I would probably bite Rex also, just to make sure he is coherent and not running over things in his wayward path! smile

Thanks a bunch Rex!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hang Loose my heart goes out to you and your family. You were so Kind to open your heart and home to an old codger of a dog who needed a retirement plan. The depth of my gratitude to you, Rainman and the whole Pond Boss family is unspeakable. What an amazing group people you are and what a blessing you all were to Mason. While I am saddened by his passing my heart is filled with joy knowing that he lived out his life surrounded by love and comfort. May God Bless all of you! I think he already blessed all of us in allowing us to know and love Mason.

Big Love to all of you. Anna

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Anna

Big Love to all of you. Anna

Likewise Anna!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Sad to see this, but it's comforting to know he led a long life that ended happily. Always felt there was a degree of dignity to let a dog go out on his own terms and glad Mason went in the place he was most secure and comfortable. Thanks Mark, Anna and Rex, for this incredible story and journey. Truly a happy tale (no pun intended).

H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thanks everyone, Mason was a blessing to have.

Anna, Thank You also. I tried to call you and Jessica last night ( found your phone #s in with Mason's vet papers) before I posted this. Please thank her too.

Up to a couple months ago, he still loved to chase that ball....and he never forgot how to shake hands.

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Sorry to hear of your loss, just know he is in a better place!

Lunker
Lunker
Godspeed Mason, he looks like he was a great companion. It's so hard losing them. Sending sympathy to you and your family.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."
---Unknown

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There is a life lesson neatly woven within the fabric of Mason's story. We are all a bit more whole for having known him, if only thru stories and pics within this forum. Indeed...go easy old boy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tough news, hangloose. You are the man for taking him in and giving him the life he deserved. That whole saga was one of the coolest PB experiences I have had and it was great to see him finally land with your family.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The Mason rescue was one of the most touching stories in PB history, in my opinion~ the efforts that were put forth to rescue this poor sweet dog and to give him a second chance at life... Thank you to Anna, Rex and the Hangloose family. His passing breaks my heart, but there is no better way for a dog to go~

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Again, Thank You Pond Boss family... I've tried not to read this post but it draws me back like a magnet. Those pictures of him are kind of hard to take but a couple more tidbits I thought of. That hound dog had some gas that would chase you out of the house. Ask Rainman... he had to ride with him for XXX many miles in a confined space.

The first time he saw snow, he freaked. Then he figured out he could eat it. Same thing with the first time he saw a bass I caught but he got finned when he tried to pick it up.

We're going to miss that "old gas hound". And one more thing, Mason became one of the best watch or guard dogs I've ever had.

Thank you Pond Boss Family!!!

Last edited by hang_loose; 07/21/12 05:20 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
And, we also thank you.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Mason took a piece of many hearts with him in his passing...along with parts of HangLoose's lip and my eyebrow...I also still have a bit of his nose in me too from our "discussion" on who was in charge of the truck...RIP Mason!! That was a fun 5000 mile ride!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 12:25 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length