Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,319
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
8 members (JoshMI, Boondoggle, Brian from Texas, FishinRod, Augie, canyoncreek, Sunil, LeighAnn), 1,038 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#296366 06/19/12 07:34 PM
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Hi folks, it's been a while since I was here last. I tried searching for solutions but did not find any yet. Hoping some of the experts can chime in.

I'm having a problem with my bluegill in my 1/2 acre pond. A couple weeks ago I noticed lots of medium sized BG hovering above a bed of Brittle Naiad. They seemed to be waiting for bugs. Over the past week I have retrieved about 5 dead ones. Today I noticed 2 more dead and about 20 of them hovering above the Naiad like before. This time I noticed some of them had very dark (almost black) bodies. One had pronounced white lips. Fins were almost white. Most were active, some a little sluggish. They were all swimming upright and not sucking air.

To this point they are all medium sized BG. No large BG, bass or catfish problems so far.

Last week I did broadcast about 8# of Hydrothol and sprayed about 8oz. of Reward on the surface of the Naiad. The pond is aerated and the planktonic is a healthy green with at least 3 feet of visibility. No changes there in last 6 weeks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It could be the Hydrothol. It can be toxic to fish.

Could it be post spawning stress? Are they primarily males?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is why I use aquathol. Any chance they were spawning over the Naiad ?

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I really don't know if they are males. As for spawning, I have never had Naiad like this before. In the past when they spawn I see little depressions along the bank. Not seeing that this season. So, will this decimate the BG population or will I likely loose some more then level out?

I have used Aquathol and Hydrothol in the past and not had this problem. Sounds like the Aquathol may be a safer bet in the future.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Look for small ( < 1 inch) BG. Have any more died? If you have some BG left they will try and fill the void.

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
There is a mix of 1/4" - 1" bass/BG. Did not see any more dead this morning, just 15-20 hovering on top of the Naiad. They are between 4-7 inches long.

I did see some bass very close to the bank with irregular whitish discoloration on top between the head and fin. They did not swim off until I got right on top of them. One looked like it was trying to "burrow" into the bank. If this is spawning it sure is different than past years. Usually there are depressions/nests. Not this year. I haven't seen this discoloration before either.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Any chance you could post pics ? It sounds like it is running its course whatever it is.

Last edited by ewest; 06/20/12 08:34 PM.

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I found 4 more dead ones today. When I scooped them out I saw what looks like red sore disease. Looks like some bass have some dorsal fin damage. They may have it too but none dead so far. Not sure how to proceed from here. The recommended treatments (salt or potassium permanganate) may not be practical. Will this likely run its course before loosing all my fish?

I took some pictures and will try to post later.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes it will run it's course from my personal experience and all the literature I have read.

Is there anything stressing your fish that is bringing this about? Most pathogens are ubiquitous to your water (scientific term is facultative), and only rear their ugly head with something is stressing your fish. High water temps, temp swings, low oxygen, herbicide treatment, too many fish, spawning activity, not enough to eat, old fish feed, added fish from another body of water recently etc.?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I'm sure you are right about water being the cause.
1. Water temps? Normal for this time of year. Hot days, cool nights.
2. Oxygen? Maybe but no visible signs this has changed recently.
3. Herbicide? Hydrothol (8# spread over Naiad). Reward (12oz sprayed on Naiad). There were signs of BG "stressing" before the treatment. Certainly could be a contributor though.
4. Could be too many fish. There seems to be a lot for a 1/2 acre pond.
5. Could also be spawning activity. No nests but saw very "fat" bass about a week ago.
6. Food source has not changed. I do not feed them.
7. Could be fish from another body of water. Last runoff was in March.

One difference I have noticed is a lack of filamentous algae so far. More planktonic algae and more Naiad though. Tells me lots of nutrients in the water. Probably runoff from upstream vineyards and pastures.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is not going to be severe. Thank you all for your input.

Attached Images
P1000789 (Medium).JPG P1000791 (Medium).JPG P1000796 (Medium).JPG P1000798 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by tecman; 06/21/12 08:06 PM. Reason: Added pictures
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
This is not looking good. Lost the first bass today. Not sure what I can do about it though. Don't want to go in and stir up more nutrients for the algae to feast on.

Please feel free to offer any more ideas or input.

F
F
I noticed that you mentioned vineyards upstream... are these commercial vineyards? Is anyone aerial spraying- it is about that time of year to hit the vineyards for mildew...

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
tecman,

It's just me and I know your said your running air but that bass sure looks like he is in need of some D.O. to me???? Is your air running 24/7? What type of setup do you have??

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I haven't seen any aerial spraying.

I run the aerators 24/7 from a 1/4 HP Gasp compressor into 6 diffusers at 4 locations. In addition I run fresh well water every third day for 12hrs. through a 1 1/4" line and a venturi to maintain water level. What are you seeing in the bass that indicates lack of oxygen?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: tecman
I'm sure you are right about water being the cause.
1. Water temps? Normal for this time of year. Hot days, cool nights.
2. Oxygen? Maybe but no visible signs this has changed recently.
3. Herbicide? Hydrothol (8# spread over Naiad). Reward (12oz sprayed on Naiad). There were signs of BG "stressing" before the treatment. Certainly could be a contributor though.
4. Could be too many fish. There seems to be a lot for a 1/2 acre pond.
5. Could also be spawning activity. No nests but saw very "fat" bass about a week ago.
6. Food source has not changed. I do not feed them.
7. Could be fish from another body of water. Last runoff was in March.

One difference I have noticed is a lack of filamentous algae so far. More planktonic algae and more Naiad though. Tells me lots of nutrients in the water. Probably runoff from upstream vineyards and pastures.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is not going to be severe. Thank you all for your input.

What is your water clarity due to algae bloom? If it's really intense you could have low D.O. just before sunrise due to max respiration of the algae.

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I know visibility is at least three feet, probably more. It is of course green but not "thick" looking.

The Naiad keeps spreading like wildfire even though I treated with Hydrothol 10 days ago. Afraid to apply more of any chemical right but also don't want this stuff to cover the whole pond and mechanical removal will just still up more "fertilizer". Oh the joys of small pond management.

Curious why I see so many BG gathered in one spot when there are so many other Naiad beds with none hovering on the top.

Caught 5 bass today 12"-14" long that looked very healthy. No signs of fin or scale damage.

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well the good news is after applying Aquathol Super K the Naiad is dead.

I have only seen two dead BG and one 20" largemouth since the Aqualthol treatment on July 6th. But, the bad news is the BG are still showing Red Sore disease. I can see them through binoculars and about half of the ones I see either have tattered and/or red sores at the base of their fins.

Still a bit mysterious since the water looks fine. A bit of the Chara is coming back and some algae beginning to show up.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Red Sore disease -- caused by stress of some sort including possibly spawning.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
I probably lost 60 70 BG and a few bass to the same thing this year. Same sores. It run it's course, and now the fish are fine.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
ewest: Yes it could be spawning though I don't see any evidence of that like I usually do.

spinnerbait: Good to hear your situation has corrected itself and your fish are fine now. How long did it take to run its course?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thank you for the links. I read them but still don't know what is causing the stress. Another thing, I haven't seen any BG fry this year. Plenty of bass though. Could it be they are needing more food than they are getting? I do not feed them and with the lack of small BG I wonder if there are too many fish for the food supply. Typically there are 20-25, 5-8 inch BG gathered near the bank in several areas around the pond.

Any recommendations what kind of food to feed them that may help this condition?

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
ewest: Yes it could be spawning though I don't see any evidence of that like I usually do.

spinnerbait: Good to hear your situation has corrected itself and your fish are fine now. How long did it take to run its course?

Started in May after the first spawn. Most were really nice BG. Probably lasted a couple weeks tops. It really bothered me, but folks on the forum assured me this would work itself out, which it did.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thank you for the links. I read them but still don't know what is causing the stress. Another thing, I haven't seen any BG fry this year. Plenty of bass though. Could it be they are needing more food than they are getting? I do not feed them and with the lack of small BG I wonder if there are too many fish for the food supply. Typically there are 20-25, 5-8 inch BG gathered near the bank in several areas around the pond.

Any recommendations what kind of food to feed them that may help this condition?

Are there enough LMB in the pond to eat all the YOY BG?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
esshup: Don't know what YOY means but I think there is an imbalance or over abundance of midsize fish. Most of the bass are in the 12" range and the BG are in the 7" range. Trying to cull out the bass and the BG in this range seem to be dying off. I just don't want all the BG "breeders" to die leaving me with a bunch of hungry bass. That's why I am considering feeding. Good or bad idea?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/07/24 10:09 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday