Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,122
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (Pat Williamson, ArkieJig, Boondoggle, phinfan), 1,014 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Second post, but I have been reading this site for a while. Great resource. Here is my situation:

Bought a piece of property with 2.5-3 acre pond. Old standpipe is rusted at the base, and the pond is dry except for a very small spring that feeds into it. It has a spillway. Neighbors say the pond was in great shape until the pipe rusted out some time in the mid to late 90's.

There are trees on the front and the back of the dam, mostly pines, but some oaks, sweet gums, but these are much smaller.

First, let's deal with the old pipe. My options are plug or remove. Seems like most folks favor digging the old pipe completely out, is that correct and not messing with plugging or lining the old pipe, which is much cheaper, but maybe not in the long run. thoughts?

Second, let's talk about the trees. Very few people say it's OK to leave them and take a risk. One said, just get them off the front of the dam. Another, take them off the front and back. Many of the pines, are older and larger 15-20 years.

Third, I am leaning toward not going back to conventional. I could either simply put pipes at the spillway or use a siphon system.

Pond is about 8 feet deep at the dam.

Thanks for your help.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If it were mine, and the funds were available, I'd dig out the old pipe, remove the trees (and roots) from the dam, and see about making the pond deeper (removing the organic sediment that has built up in the pond basin at the same time), and go with a siphon system. Drawing the water from the lowest portion of the pond.

My concerns with just plugging the pipe is that one of the trees could die (or already has) and the decomposing roots would compromise the dam. I'd hate to get the pond just the way I envisioned it and have the dam start leaking.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks so much. I have someone starting on digging out the old pipe and removing the trees and roots in two weeks. He will make the pond deeper and remove the sediment. He's been building ponds in my area for 30 plus years. Not the cheapest, but probably one of the best, if not the best.

His advice, however, is to go with a conventional PVC system that draws water from the bottom. I think this is because he is less familiar with a siphon system and very "old school," which can be a good thing.

I realize it's my money, so I can dictate what I want, but despite all the good things I have read about siphon systems, I am just about convinced that what this guy will put it will be just as good, if not better than siphon system.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With his system, will the PVC pipe hold water all the time?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
OP Offline
A
I don't believe so, but I will check. Why? I assume the water degrades the PVC or PVC seals?

C
C
When he "mucks out" your pond be sure you don't cut into your liner. That can cause problems.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ALFisher
I don't believe so, but I will check. Why? I assume the water degrades the PVC or PVC seals?

Water won't degrade the PVC, but organics will grow on the PVC. The valve should be operated at least once a year to ensure it stays functioning. If the valve does go bad, can it be replaced/repaired without draining the whole pond?

A siphon system is easier to work on down the road ince it's mostly out of the water.

Any PVC that is exposed to sunlight should have UV inhibitors in it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
OP Offline
A
Water will be drawn from near the bottom with use of sleeve and trash rack. Valve can be replaced without draining completely.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ALFisher
Water will be drawn from near the bottom with use of sleeve and trash rack. Valve can be replaced without draining completely.

With that said, you're good to go!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 09:46 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/01/24 09:41 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question