Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (rjackson, jpsdad, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 941 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
budster, I've got no dog in this hunt, but let me say this. Greg Grimes is one of the guys that keeps this board relevant. It has, based on my 20 years of BB postings on everything from guns, computer software, fishing, fire fighting, zombies, etc the best info available.

I don't know Greg, and might not even like him if I met him, but don't diminish or classify his value to this board based on his occupation. I had no clue he was even in the aquaculture business. That says volumes about his ability to keep his postings and business separate.

As far as the cost of feeders, I certainly get your point. Feeders are expensive, but providing protein or slinging corn is not the same as feeding fish. If one of my deer feeders doesn't throw, then no harm no foul. If my fish feeder quits, then I lose fish.

I've got several inexpensive feeders that are so old that American Pickers would love them, and they're still working. But, that's the exception. I've also got $300-$400 feeders that I work on every year.

I hope your WGI feeder gives you and me, many years of dependable service, as I have one also.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have both types of feeders and others. I have had to fix the AP on occasion. AP has always fixed them or sent me parts at no cost. This is just one more of those "it depends questions" as to what to buy. Many factors to consider.

Greg and I are friends and I have and will continue to use his services. They are above board in every respect. His point was (and was correct and in accord with PB mission)that all the facts need to be out in the open so forum users , both posters and readers , can make their best decision.

The instruction from Bob to the Mods is to be welcoming to all and in giving advice be fair and protect the members/readers out there who rely on what is posted. Provide the info that is available so good choices can be made. Over time the members here reflect those instructions and help in that regard. That is evident from several of the posts here. That is exactly what Greg did. The Mods usually watch threads about products to be sure that Bob's policy is carried out. We were late on this one so Greg helped us out.

Budster we hope you keep participating and please understand that the comments were not directed to you but were made so others could have the benefit of our collective experience. Keep adding yours as it helps us all make good decisions.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I can attest to the fact that Greg is out to help the little guy of which I am one of. He has always been very open and willing to answer my questions and for that I try to buy everything I can from him.

Last edited by FarmerRick; 05/11/12 05:08 PM.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You're off base Budster. 95% of us are DIYers. The Pro's on here understand that and try to help.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you are in the market for a fish feeder, Texas Hunter is having a Winter sale on feeders up until Mar 29th 2013. For those DIY people they have a game feeder kit for $99.00 (reg $149, 5 yr warranty) that you can mount on the bottom of a bucket, barrel, big plastic taper bottom flower pot, or other container. Other models are also on sale. TX Hunter advertises in PBoss and is a sponsor at the Conferences. I don't own an auto feeder but if I needed one and for $99 I would try the kit and mount in on something and set it on my dock.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Man I really like my small non directional Texas Hunters they work great, just small, I'm adding extensions to them before spring.. Ill make a thread on it guys.. Greg's a straight up guy and honestly his straight shooting is a little too blunt for some to handle.. But it's a quality I admire..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
BGK, have you, or anybody else, ever tried a protein feeder for corn? The reason I ask, is I don't throw corn because of hogs. I have several gravitational feeders, but they're a pain to keep refilling.

A protein feeder would let me fill the feeders a lot less often. The deer we have coming in can empty a pvc gravitational feeder in a few days.

AL

M
M
Budster, FYI,I am in the same boat you are. Though I want a TH feeder, but I am way over budget on this project so far, and have more in my pond vision to go. So as I look around, and read all I can, I see one of the down falls of the "cheap" directional feeders is lack of throwing distance for short timer bursts. I believe I have this figured out. Yesterday I aquired parts for testing @Chinamart. I paralled 2- 6 volt batteries and there was a significant difference on the low end to bringing it up to full speed, for the short bursts. That being said it is only one of a few issues I must weigh cost benefit. So far though, I have built my own diffused aereation system for $300 (weighted line, rebuilt oiless air pump, 2- 9" diffusers and a NEMA box)and it has ran for the past 4 months flawlessly, (I need to work on a slight db reduction though) but I should have found this site sooner in my endevor last year to listen to the many valuable opinions and advice that could have saved me the current issues that I do have. Their input is great!

Mike

My momma never accused me of being to smart....
B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
To any one who cares!

I see this thread was revived this morning. Well I learned my lesson and have remained in the dark with my un-popular opinions, but I do need to tell ya'll that the cheap crummy feeder is going strong, doing it's job with just a little TLC. I'll return to the man cave now...............Budster

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fire I have not.. But like I said for not even 1/2 the price of a TH directional feeder you can get the smaller TH non directional that is the same quality just smaller I have 2 of them on my pond and a Moultrie Directional all 3 were under $1000

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Many of the Texas Hunter feeders including their new big (600lb) protein feeder are now on sale until Mar 29, 13.
budster - don't get too intimidated and scared away by critics. When one makes a comment they have to be tolerant of those that disagree. They have their opinion and you have yours. One just has to be cautious in that they qualify and soften negative comments that could be considered offensive. Everyone here has pond experiences that they can share.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/20/13 02:29 PM.

Originally Posted By: budster
To any one who cares!

I see this thread was revived this morning. Well I learned my lesson and have remained in the dark with my un-popular opinions, but I do need to tell ya'll that the cheap crummy feeder is going strong, doing it's job with just a little TLC. I'll return to the man cave now...............Budster

budster, post anytime you want, don't remain in the dark. Like I said earlier, I bought the same AquaPro/WGI. It's thrown all year, and hasn't burped once. Time will tell, but so far so good.

I also pull my feeders once a year, and really make sure they are clean and dry before I replace them. At least around here, I get fish food powder that tends to cake up if I don't service the feeders annually.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
No need to stay in the dark. Come share the fun - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I have a long history of Aquapro use. Several still in use. They do require work as they tend to break. I have posted my thoughts and they can be looked up in old posts. I also have TH which have worked flawlessly.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very good advice and tip by firelsHot about the fish food fines that can accumulate and cause feeder problems: ""I also pull my feeders once a year, and really make sure they are clean and dry before I replace them. At least around here, I get fish food powder that tends to cake up if I don't service the feeders annually.""

It is a wise person that maintains their equipment.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
The fish will find the food. Some people like to launch it 100', some people like to scatter it 360 degrees, and some like to contain it in side a "hoola hoop" type ring, and some just hand feed when they feel the urge. It ain't brain surgery - the fish will find the food. smile

We are all unique, just like everyone else!!!

Just do it...
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cody we have sold that kit for $95 for years but I don't recommend them to clients that want it done right or shoudl I say easily. Due to it being a THP it is high quality but im not a DIY type so making it work directionally is a challenge. If you attach the kit to a bucket out over the water it will work just fine. It will not work as well on some size pellets it seems.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
J
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
The fish will find the food. Some people like to launch it 100', some people like to scatter it 360 degrees, and some like to contain it in side a "hoola hoop" type ring, and some just hand feed when they feel the urge. It ain't brain surgery - the fish will find the food. smile

We are all unique, just like everyone else!!!

This is used to contain the feed so that less is wasted by blowing up on shore where the fish can't access it. It is basically a big plastic tube wrapped in a circle or oval.

F
F
I thought I was going to wait until next year to purchase a feeder but the sale prices on the Texas Hunter Feeders might be too good to pass up. Is there a good way to secure the feeder to a tree to prevent it from being stolen? My biggest concern is spending that kind of money and someone stealing it. We are eventually going to build a house behind the pond but looks like that is a year away.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only thing that I can think of is to drill a couple of holes thru the bottom of the feeder near the corner and run a chain or cable thru it. The legs are bolted on, so unbolting the legs is easily done.

Realistically, if someone wants to steal it, they will.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pour a concrete pad and bolt it too it.. But if someone really wants to steal it they'll get it no matter what..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I like the concrete pad idea. TH feeders have holes in the pads on the bottom of the legs for bolts. Epoxy can be put over the heads of the bolts that are holding the legs to the unit so they can't get a wrench on them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
I have thought about placing it on my island and chaining it to a tree. It would mean putting my waders on and wading out to the island each time to fill it but someone would have to do the same to steal it. But I understand if someone wants to steal it, no mater what I do, they will steal it. I am just trying to think of things I can do to at least make them work for it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have several of the cheap Moultrie directional feeders that attach to 5 gallon buckets. One has survived three seasons, including a swim in the pond from hurricane force winds. I did have to replace the timer on that one. The other has gone two complete seasons, and the newest was in use this season from mid-May through October. Depending on season, and other factors, they are set to go off anywhere from one to four times a day.

I added cheap solar panels, used for charging solar flood lights (about $10 each, including the light), to keep them charged. I have never run out of battery. I use the flat 4-pin waterproof trailer wiring connectors for easy and reliable connecting between the panel and battery.

I use translucent 5 gallon mixing buckets, and water tight screw-off lids from Lowes/HomeDepot. I use the translucent buckets so I can easily tell how much feed is in the container.

The feeder assemblies have all come from Cabellas when they have been on sale for $39.95. The rechargeable batteries have been $12-$15 each. The bucket/lid combo is about $10, and the solar panel is about $10.

One hangs on a bracket I welded/fabricated, from a post on my dock. The other two hang from hangers I made with 7' T-posts, where I welded some rebar near the top of the post, and welded chain link fence clips to the rebar for hooks.

I fully agree with all that has been said by Greg Grimes and others about cheap vs. DYI vs. high quality feeders. I'm willing to take a chance on cheap feeder assemblies. I'm at my ponds most every day, and it wouldn't be a disaster if one of the feeders died. I figure I'm pretty handy when it comes to fabricating and repairing things. I also take mine in for the winter, fully clean them, and lubricate them.

But, my kind of feeders ain't for everybody. If I was in the pond management business, there is no way I would ever sell or recommend one of my contraptions to a valued client.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cat thanks for saying that, you nailed my thoughts. We use refurb Aquapros here because we know how to fix them and have a big supply form past clietns riddign of them. When a feeder goes bad we will hear about it to spite us only being a dealer. In fact I lost one good client over a feeder going bad so yes that is why we only sell the best. Most of our clients don't read PB because they hire us to educate them. I wish I was more mechanicial many times.

Fastpitch FYI our prices are better than Texas Hunter direct and then give an additional discount to PB subscribers.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
S
Well, all I own on our deer lease are On Time feeders. Most are solar. Bad to the bone throwers. I've got plenty of extra ones cause nothing likes a feeder more than a coon, and they will destroy them. Hence the extra equipment.

I'm considering feeding fish now, just how many feeders does a 3+ acre require if bluegill is the target fish? And, how much to throw? You know, there's quite a learning curve for those of us new to pond management. I thought I'd know it all by now. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday