Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,978
Posts558,152
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
8 members (DerekG, Fishingadventure, DrewSh, Snipe, Sunil, JoshMI, FishinRod, bmo), 1,144 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah I had frost damage, wiped out my tomatoes and peppers.. But I was able to replace all them yesterday for about $20 with really healthy plants..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
U really should look into aquaponics. With all the time and money and back breaking work ur putting into this thing is just useless!! With the money u spend on gas and pesticides and stuff like that u could have a greenhouse around an aquaponics setup and have food year around, and its all organic. Its a no brainer.To me atleast. And u can feed the fish to the bass too if you dont want to eat them. I will never plant another plant in the ground. Or spend hundreds of dollars a month in water bills, water hoses, soaker hoses, fertilizer, bug killer, grass killer. If u really like gardening that much, i bet if u go on the internet and look up aquaponics and read about it, u will have a set up this summer no doubt

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I believe that the journey is a big part of any experience, gardening included. Maybe it's because of my rural, agricultural background, but I don't think kneeling down over an aquaponics tank and running the water through my fingers would give me the same feeling as that warm, fresh soil in Springtime. The smell of it, the feel of the sun on my skin, the cycle of a growing season... it has a beginning and an end. That's all a part of the experience for me, the same as the end result- harvest.

Not to take anything away from aquaponics, I believe it is an excellent idea, and look to see greatly expanded usage in the near future, as I believe we should. I love reading about the ingenious homegrown systems out there.

Some of us, certainly myself, may just feel a little stronger ties to the soil, and the cycle of life.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I believe that the journey is a big part of any experience, gardening included. Maybe it's because of my rural, agricultural background, but I don't think kneeling down over an aquaponics tank and running the water through my fingers would give me the same feeling as that warm, fresh soil in Springtime. The smell of it, the feel of the sun on my skin, the cycle of a growing season... it has a beginning and an end. That's all a part of the experience for me, the same as the end result- harvest.

Not to take anything away from aquaponics, I believe it is an excellent idea, and look to see greatly expanded usage in the near future, as I believe we should. I love reading about the ingenious homegrown systems out there.

Some of us, certainly myself, may just feel a little stronger ties to the soil, and the cycle of life.

Agreed, its a way of life for us. Some years are good, some are bad. We don't have the time to properly attend an aquaponics system. There is pros and cons to each set up.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I hear ya spark plug, i got friends and family ask me y do u go to those nascar races and watch the cars go around in circles for hours and i tell them cause u just dont get it and i love every minute of it!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have never eaten a good tasting tomato that was grown in a greenhouse, and we have even tried growing heirlooms. We sold them a green tomatoes for frying because we only sell good tasting tomatoes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I barely have any money wrapped up in this.. I like having a garden and don't want a greenhouse or aquaponics setup.. Waters free, no pesticides except a little Sevin, no fertilizer except free compost and manure, No gas involved with the garden.. Initial cost of irrigation is done.. So next year I figure the whole garden will be under $50.. With everything weedmated and strawed I spend about an hour a week weeding I can handle that..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Me niether RAH. I hate tomatoes. My set up is not in a greenhouse now. I have a movable greenhouse that i can set up when winter gets here and keep growing things as i wish. My family owns a 400 acre farm and have grown plot after plot of vegetables and its just not for me anymore. I think im getting a head start on the inevitable. Sad but true, one day there will be no more dirt farmers just the weekenders like people here. Our food will be grown this way in the future because of logistics and politics. ( i.e goverment, pesticides). The land will be all used up for housing and such. But we will be dead and gone when it starts to happen so get out there and plant something.!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Treating pond water for residential use
by DerekG - 05/02/24 02:58 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by Snipe - 05/02/24 02:55 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Fishingadventure - 05/02/24 02:43 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by Fishingadventure - 05/02/24 02:34 PM
Using Advanced Search Function
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 01:49 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:25 AM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:20 AM
Northern Midwesterner thinking of Tilapia
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:20 AM
Iris vs Pickerel