Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GeorgeS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
We just finished a new boathouse at the lake and I have decided to add a 3 to 4ft wide fish cleaning station. I have electricity, running water, etc. I'm hoping my fellow pondboss members might have pictures or suggestions for this project.
Thanks in advance!
George Spann

Working hard so others don't have to.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
One of the things that I found really cool at several of the state parks in Michigan is that they install large garbage disposals on the fish cleaning tables. These are seriously powerful ones. We clean salmon and slide the carcass in and let 'er rip. it beats bagging and letting it stink up the garbage for a week.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've been looking on craigslist for awhile now for a 3 bay commercial stainless sink with built in side countertop perfect for fish cleaning..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A good cleaning board, sharp knives, a bucket, a hose, and my front end loader are good for me, for much of the year. The remains generally go to one of my many compost piles, most of which are 10 cu. yards, or larger.

This time of year the remains go into a tub with some water, well away from the house, where I'm fermenting fish emulsion to use in my greenhouse, hoop houses, and raised vegetable beds.

Even though we've been well below freezing several nights recently, we'll have fresh salads tomorrow night -- along with some fish that will get smoked overnight.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
B
Used restaurant equipment outlet stores have loads of SS sinks and prep tables.

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
hey george why are you looking at a fish cleaning station I thought you hated cleaning fish? I bought a used triple sink stainless steel washing station from a used restaurant dealer in atlanta off the internet it has worked great. I used it yesterday to clean some catfish.I will send you some pictures. I had bought a pvc one but it broke after two years

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I second used restraunt equipment. I saw a sink at a garage sale and pulled in. When he said $50 I had a heck of a time keeping a straight face, and had to try even more not to go immediately for my wallet. I paid him, but had to go home to get the trailer (it's got a 6" backsplash, sink and 4-5' long counter on the side of the sink). In the meantime his buddy drove by and wanted to buy it. His buddy even offered $100 for it but he told him that it was sold. grin

I'd hate to think what it'd cost new!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: james holt
hey george why are you looking at a fish cleaning station I thought you hated cleaning fish? I bought a used triple sink stainless steel washing station from a used restaurant dealer in atlanta off the internet it has worked great. I used it yesterning fishday to clean some catfish.I will send you some pictures. I had bought a pvc one but it broke after two years

Hey James - that ain't me - that's George S. - another good ole Texas boy from Ennis .... grin

I do hate cleaning fish - cheaper at the fish market....
I know - I know .... they need to be harvested.. confused

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I ran water, poured the concrete and plumbed for a fish cleaning station, built just for an 8' ss 3 bay sink, 2 yrs later still looking for a good deal on a sink.. $150 or less..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
I second used restraunt equipment. I saw a sink at a garage sale and pulled in. When he said $50 I had a heck of a time keeping a straight face, and had to try even more not to go immediately for my wallet. I paid him, but had to go home to get the trailer (it's got a 6" backsplash, sink and 4-5' long counter on the side of the sink). In the meantime his buddy drove by and wanted to buy it. His buddy even offered $100 for it but he told him that it was sold. grin

I'd hate to think what it'd cost new!

I have a brand new one still in the crate. Advance Tabco 4 bowl pot sink. Sorry, no side drain boards, but them are easy to whip up. The bowls are 32 gallons each. I got it from a Proctor & Gamble auction out of MA. With shipping and all, about 400 bucks. Over 7K from the factory. I have a specific use for it, just ain't got that far yet, but fish will be in it for sure.

I have had it for a while now. That is when online auctions were fun grin

Some guy out of Texas snatched up the other three units, still in the crate for about the same price I paid for mine. Except they are exactly what BGK is looking for. 3 bowls with a built in drainboard. Brand new, for practically nothing!

I was going to bid on them, but wanted the one I got with the 32 gallon bowls.

I am extremely happy with that auction grin

Current mfg price is 7,247.00 for the unit I have still in the mfg crate.

I'll sell you mine for 4-5K and include drainboards on both ends laugh Seriously... NOT!

It was a sad day in my life when Dovebid and GoIndustry hooked up. The auction game changed!

I made piles-O-cash back then. 800 bucks at one of those auctions would easily turn 10-12K in the next few weeks.

It sure was a lot of fun, and I miss it.

Last edited by JKB; 03/31/12 05:39 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
For 4-5K it had better come with a full time fish cleaner/filet artist. whistle

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
For 4-5K it had better come with a full time fish cleaner/filet artist. whistle

4-5K is a bargain, don't you think shocked

I just edited my earlier post before I saw this.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a ss company here that builds them new fr half that price.. I'm not looking to spend more than 150 bucks.. I've missed or passed on a couple for 200-250, I'll find one soon enough, until then the sawhorses and stainless 4' countertop is doin the job just fine..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
My cleaning table

Attached Images
nov 2010 009.JPG

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Perhaps. But a new Lamborghini Aventador has a MSRP of $387,000, so if I found one for $250,000 it would be a steal. However.... my Chevrolet does everything I need it to do, and it was only $24,000

I'm just thinking out loud, JKB. I'm sure your stainless pot sink will make a fine fish cleaning station, should you decide to someday filet a fish on it. In the meantime, I will continue to use my metal table with the plastic cutting board top that one of my buddies found at a garage sale, and in a flash of inspiration, ( if you knew him you would realize just how rare that is), realized that it would make a fine fish cleaning table. That was many years ago.

I've got 25 bucks in it. I did however fabricate a bracket to hold the garden hose, as well as a nifty, clamp on device that holds open one of those plastic bags you get at the grocery store. I have to admit that it's nice to have a dedicated spot to clean your catch, but the 1000's of fish I have filleted since acquiring it taste just the same as when I filleted them on a piece of 2x8. Go figure.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Originally Posted By: spinnerbait
My cleaning table

Most restaurant equipment dealers get these old tables. Mine was a prewash sink and table for a commercial dishwasher. They usually scrap some of it at .70 cents a lb. You can offer to pay the scrap price and haul it off for them.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Someone is a bit touchy laugh

When I was a kid. My Grandpa whipped out his electric drill with a tap in it. Sure ripped the scales off in a hurry.

F
F

I've got 25 bucks in it. I did however fabricate a bracket to hold the garden hose, as well as a nifty, clamp on device that holds open one of those plastic bags you get at the grocery store. I have to admit that it's nice to have a dedicated spot to clean your catch, but the 1000's of fish I have filleted since acquiring it taste just the same as when I filleted them on a piece of 2x8. Go figure.

'Like your way of thinking...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Well, maybe not touchy, I do believe in having and using what makes one happy. And we all have different ideas about what constitutes happiness. I do think however, that the tendency exists to over-complicate what should be a simple endeavour. If a multiple sink, stainless, fish cleaning table brings someone happiness, and it's within their means to acquire one, then go for it. Life is short, make the most of it.

I do have one question though. How do you guys keep from dulling your knives on that stainless? Do you have to lay some other material over it, like a cutting board?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well, maybe not touchy, I do believe in having and using what makes one happy. And we all have different ideas about what constitutes happiness. I do think however, that the tendency exists to over-complicate what should be a simple endeavour. If a multiple sink, stainless, fish cleaning table brings someone happiness, and it's within their means to acquire one, then go for it. Life is short, make the most of it.

I do have one question though. How do you guys keep from dulling your knives on that stainless? Do you have to lay some other material over it, like a cutting board?

Yeah, cutting boards work OK when you occasionally miss wink

Usually an HDPE sheet material will work for many years. Don't have to be very thick. Gotta clean it pretty good tho.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My fish cleaning station is a couple of saw horses, a couple of 2x12s, a couple of filet knifes(one electric), and a gut bucket. I haul all of the remains a couple hundred yards for natures clean up crew.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GeorgeS Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
James, this George does hate to clean fish...but my family loves to eat them! I found a neighbor near the lake house this weekend who was having a garage sale. He had a restaurant grade heavy stainless table top with sink on one side. It was 40 inches wide by 19 inches deep with 4 inch one piece back splash on two sides. He was asking $35.00. I walked away and he approached me and said for $25 you can have it. I did the happy butt dance all the way to the lake house! Thanks for the awesome input from everyone. I can't do the garbage disposal so will have to rely on turtles. Thanks again guys.

Working hard so others don't have to.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build