Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#285590 03/26/12 09:11 PM
A
Arlene3 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi!
My son and his wife recently purchased a house on a small lot in a subdivision. Now that spring has hit and they have taken possession of the home, we learn that there is an active natural spring sogging up the road edge of the lawn on theirs and the two neigboring properties. Water was spilling gently over the curb on running down the gutters. Is there any chance that we can make a SMALL pond in his yard that is fed by this spring? would it keep spilling over? I would like to make lemonade from this lemon. frown
Thanks
Arlene3

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Arlene,

Welcome to Pond Boss.

My first thoughts, based on your questions, is -- absolutely yes!

However, I would wait at least until the end of October to see if the spring is still flowing to make a determination.

If your son and his wife decide they would like to have a pond from this water, I would strongly suggest that they build it entirely on their own lot. The water can certainly be shared with neighbors who also want to build their own ponds, but joint ownership of ponds can lead to some very nasty situations.

Depending on pond size, it is possible that they could fill and partially supplement a pond from this spring, but they may have to use their house water supply for some of the water.

Give us an idea of what size pond they may be anticipating. Will it be just a few thousand gallons in a liner or poly pool, a tenth of an acre, a half acre, or even bigger? If not using a liner or pre-fab pool, do they have good clay to seal the pond so it will hold water?

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
Arlene3 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you Ken!
The pond couldn't be much larger than one of the larger pre-formed ponds at a garden center. I am pretty sure that the spring will keep flowing, because a neighbor introduced herself and said she'd been fighting city hall on the problem for several years. BUT that it hadn't always been like that. It was enough water to be trickling down both sides of the road for a long way.

M
M
Originally Posted By: Arlene3
BUT that it hadn't always been like that.

If it hasn't always been this way, there may be a leak in the municipal system. Ask the water department to come take a sample and test it. If it's from a municipal leak they should be able to tell from the amount of fluoride. A lot of MI water has fluoride added and it won't dissipate quickly. I would certainly rule this out before I built a pond based on this water.

I did a couple summers with the local water department during college. We used the fluoride testing a couple times to find and fix problems that we wouldn't have found otherwise.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Manris Frack
Originally Posted By: Arlene3
BUT that it hadn't always been like that.

If it hasn't always been this way, there may be a leak in the municipal system. Ask the water department to come take a sample and test it. If it's from a municipal leak they should be able to tell from the amount of fluoride. A lot of MI water has fluoride added and it won't dissipate quickly. I would certainly rule this out before I built a pond based on this water.

I did a couple summers with the local water department during college. We used the fluoride testing a couple times to find and fix problems that we wouldn't have found otherwise.

In a subdivision, that's what I'd first suspect (leaking pipes).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday