Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Theo Gallus, nvcdl, bmicek), 1,113 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I wish I had a pic to post on here for you guys to look at but I can't catch these things and despite trying to net one I haven't grabbed one yet. I will do my best to describe...

I first noticed them this past weeked as I was taking a stroll enjoying the sight of my fish coming out for the nice weather we've had. When I reached a corner of the pond I saw a fish that doesn't look like anything I have ever seen in the pond. This is my 3rd spring with the pond and have never seen these guys before.

They are anywhere from an estimated 7-9" long, small mouth in front(almost looks like maybe some white on the lips), somewhat large eyes, silvery in color with a deeply forked tail that makes an obvious "V" shape outlined with a very defined black edge on the tail fins. They are approx 3-4" in height and maybe 1-1.5" thick. They are swimming in a school of 20-30 fish and are traveling up and down the edge of one of my cattail stands. I would describe the sight as swimming themselves stupid. They go back and forth non stop. I watched them do this for over an hour.

I did put some golden shiners in this past fall that were may 3" long or so. Is it possible that these guys grew that much in 6mos? They are the only fish I can think of that it could be or resemble in looking at pictures of them.

Just seems "fishy" to me that these things grew at that rate in such a short time.

Any suggestions as to what they are and how to possibly rig up some sort of way to catch one to take a pic would be greatly appreciated!

D
D
I can't tell you what they are but I could suggest getting a throw net. If you can see it, you can catch it with one of them.

B
B
Tranquility, sounds like Mullet to me.

THE LONELIEST BAYOU IN THE WORLD... BAYOUSELF !
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No Mullet in Ohio that I'm aware of. GSH typically aren't that tall, nor thick. It almost sounds like Gizzard Shad spawning, but the water isn't warm enough for that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the responses. Still no luck catching one of these things. Have not picked up a throw net yet but plan on tackling that this weekend.

If thats a gizzard shad in the pic esshup, that looks really really close to what I'm seeing. I've heard these things are not the best to have in your pond. I'm also confused how they got in there because I've tried to make sure noone put anything in like that. I did buy this place with the ponds already there but surely I would have seen these things before now right? This is the third spring we've owned the place.

So, now what? I'm assuming number one get my hands on one and get a pic posted. But, assuming these things are gizzard shad, and my goal is bass, bluegill, and a few channel cat, how detrimental would or could these shad be?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rotenone. GS are susceptible to lower levels of Rotenone than other fish, so if you walked the fine line, you could kill the GS and not kill the rest of the fish in the pond, if that's what they are.

All it takes is 2 to get things going. If someone stocked the pond with left-over minnows a few years ago, that could be how.

I believe the local lake got them because someone less informed thought they'd help the lake out by stocking threadfin shad, which look like GS when young. Also, Threadfins won't survive our winters.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Yesterday evening I got a better look at these things. The nose/head is fairly pointed as compared to the picture of the GS above. They also appeared darker along the top of the body then fading to a light grey or white color yesterday. It was cloudy yesterday eve which could have contributed to the difference in color.

One feature I was able to notice or think I noticed was a dark spot behind the gill. Once I thought it was just the gill opened up but then as they made another pass I could distinctly see a dark "spot".

I did see a decent bass around 2lb swimming behind the school of these fish. I got the impression he was sizing them up for a meal.

Is there any chance these are young channel catfish? The body doesn't look like a channel but the coloration yesterday and the forked tail really looked similar. I can't say I've ever seen a young channel but a friend of mine that is more into catfishing than I am came out and said thats what he thought they were. I disagreed but it got me thinking...

I found a supplier locally that has throw nets in stock so after work I'm heading out to grab one. Hopefully I will be able to post some pics soon to identify this mystery fish.

T
OP Offline
T
While pouring thru pictures on the web, I can see similarities between both a shad and a shiner.

Assuming that in a best case scenario, these are golden shiners that I put in the pond in september and they were on average around 4" long, I fed aquamax into the end of october, and have aeration and a clean pond with plenty of food for them. Is it possible that these things have hit a 7-9" size by now? Would this scenario be a mutant growth for a golden shiner?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
See if this helps ! My WAG would be GShiners if you put those in. Yes they can grow that fast.

R
RER Offline
R
You put in shiners, now you are seeing somthing that looks similar to shiners.....I would bet the house they are shiners

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for the pics!!!

Definitely leaning toward shiners after seeing those. And good point Bobby, I guess I'm just shocked that these guys grew that much in such a short time. I originally put in 10lbs last fall and I guess after predation from the bass, having 20-30 left is a pretty realistic guesstimate.

I really hope they are shiners, that would make me and my bass very happy! Hopefully a net will yield a good look at these guys. I will post pics and some measurements when I get them.

Pond management never ceases to amaze me...

Last edited by tranquility; 03/23/12 01:58 PM.
R
RER Offline
R
Hopefully they are indeed shiners and will be laying eggs for you,,,,

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The behavior along with the description really makes me think gizzard shad... Until you catch one, we won't know. Let that cast net fly!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt