Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,014
Posts558,526
Members18,531
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
4 members (Khocke, papereater, JoshMI, Kendal), 1,084 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284293 03/15/12 09:44 PM
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I just talked to my 12 year old a couple weeks ago about tornados. She had a severe reaction to any bad weather and was really afraid about the possibility of tornados. I told her that in the 45 years on this earth, I had never been around a tornado here in Michigan and there was nothing really to worry about.

Today a tornado ripped through our town of Dexter. Praise God that there were no severe injuries or deaths. However, there was lots of damage, and my daughter is now more terrified then ever and sleeping in our bed.

I always though that it would be kind of cool to see a tornado, but after seeing one in my rear view mirror as picked up my kids from Lacrosse practice, I have decided that I never, ever want to see one again.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hopefully your place didn't receive any of the damage...

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
No damage at our house, just lots of hail. Our town (I teach and coach there) was hit pretty hard and we lost a bunch of houses and a few businesses.

Brian
Retired Coach

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good to hear you didn't get any damage. Houses and buildings can be replaced, lives cannot. There is at least something to be thankful for.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I saw that on the weather channel Coach. Glad you're O.K.

Don't you just love how mother nature can make a liar out of you? You just can't say never with mother nature!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Tornadoes are common place here. We know the safety because it happens several times a year.

Mother Nature has been acting strange in last couple of years. I have seen things that 70 year olds have seen one or twice.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brian, I knew you were in the area, but didn't know how close it was. I'm thankful that you and your family are safe.

I know the feeling that you have, I was thru the first tornado that touched down in Indiana during the Palm Sunday Tornado's in the '60's. The house that we were in had some damage, and we were very lucky that we didn't get hit worse. Large trees fell just the right way and missed the house, although we lost maybe 8 24" dia or larger Oak Trees. I looked out the picture window (no basement) and watched it go thru the center of the lake in front of the house. It wasn't until years later that I realized that the center of the tornado was 700 feet away. That one, classified in the old system, was an F3.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I just saw it on the news. There were actually 3 tornado's.

They are pretty rare in MI, especially this early in the season.

They said the one in Dexter was the most serious.

Glad you are OK.

JKB #284316 03/16/12 05:13 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Also glad that you're OK.

Those darn things aren't uncommon enough here to suit me. Our schools actually have tornado drills like other places have fire drills. I've been through several of them and they aren't unusual enough to suit me. When I was a farm Kid on the NW Texas plains(Muleshoe area) every farm house had either a basement or tornado shelter. Those are no longer common, especially in town.

Brian, develop a family game plan for tornado survival. I expect that you're good at game plans. It generally includes finding the safest place in the house, usually an interior closet, but might be a hall that keeps you away from flying glass. Get a really good, battery operated, weather radio and keep the batteries refreshed. Be prepared to jerk mattresses off beds and get under them.

Identifying practices to keep safe might help your Daughters outlook. Lots of information of this type are on the internet and you might want to involve your daughter in the research.

BTW, this should also include a game plan and practices on what to do in case of a house fire.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/16/12 09:47 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A house with a basement will never be more appreciated.
Glad your family unit came thru with ok, Coach.
Now ya got me thinkin' again about a storm shelter at the pond project.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Hey Coach good to hear you and your family are ok, I'm glad Tornados are rare here also.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Glad to hear you made it. Sad for those who lost their homes...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #284333 03/16/12 07:16 AM
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for all the well wishes. I have met only a few of you, but time and again, I am reminded how great this community of pond people is. The clean up efforts will start this morning. With all the destruction, it is truly God's blessing that no one was killed or even seriously hurt.

Brian
Retired Coach

J
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Also glad that you're OK.

Those darn things aren't uncommon enough here to suit me. Our schools actually have tornado drills like other places have fire drills. I've been through several of them and they aren't unusual enough to suit me. When I was a farm Kid on the NW Texas plains(Muleshoe area) every farm house had either a basement or tornado shelter. Those are no longer common, especially in town.

Brian, develop a family game plan for tornado survival. I expect that you're good at game plans. It generally includes finding the safest place in the house, usually an interior closet, but might be a hall that keeps you away from flying glass. Get a really good, battery operated, weather radio and keep the batteries refreshed. Be prepared to jerk mattresses off beds and get under them.

Identifying practices to keep safe might help your Daughters outlook. Lots of information of this place are on the internet and you might want to involve your daughter in the research.

BTW, this should also include a game plan and practices on what to do in case of a house fire.

Agreed. May think about wearing some sort of a helment to.

Tornado Safety

Check out that link.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Glad everyone is OK. Newburgh Ind has been hit by 3 in eight years. One 2 blocks to the south east, one 1/2 mile to the north west (killed 22) the last one this month F1 just did damage no deaths 1/2 mile south. You will be supprised how many people, agencies and churches will come out to help those in need.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
you are right. The response today was incredible. The devastation was also incredible. We have lots of work to do, but the healing that happened today for the kids was great.

Brian
Retired Coach

J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Glad to hear your o.k we just had hail here in chelsea.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Don Wallace, scott69
Recent Posts
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by RAH - 05/16/24 05:58 PM
Spawn Identification
by Fishingadventure - 05/16/24 05:03 PM
BG sex?
by Theo Gallus - 05/16/24 05:02 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Bennettrand - 05/16/24 02:56 PM