Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,996
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch), 1,375 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#283703 03/11/12 05:32 PM
T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So my pond is one year old now. Stocked some 15 lbs of FHM last summer. Just now decided my stocking plan and getting that together. Made the decision to go with HSB but don't see any source for them locally in OKC (or anywhere in OK for that matter). Suggestions?

J
J
Probably have to go outside of Oklahoma into Arkansas or Texas to find them.

I believe Todd Overton of Overton's Fisheries has them. That may be as close as you can get.

What is the stocking plan for your pond?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah Keo's fish farm here in Arkansas handle only HSB but they are quite a long ways away from you.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
We are almost sold out of 10-12" advanced HSB stock, but should be restocking with 6-8" fingerlings this spring and will grow more 2-3" fingerlings out this summer to advanced sizes by fall. The smaller sizes are easy to haul if you can't find any local then give us a shout.

Its a dang shame that I lost a pond full of HSBs this summer during the drought. Even had 2 aerators on it. Broke my heart. Had another pond of em but sellin fast.

It's ALL about the fish!
T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Jludwig- I am gonna do the cnbg, lmb (culled to keep 'em small to control bg), and hsb is my plan. Maybe a few whiskers. I am about to get busy on an aerator and feeder in the coming weeks. Any holes in that plan? Pond is about an acre. And is fairly deep in center, 15ft, and an average depth of 5-7 I'd guess. No vegetation yet. No idea of ph, hardness, etc.

Should I do the cnbg now, some lmb later in spring and some hsb in fall?

Will hsb survive transport for that period? Any shipping options?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Tod, there are several HSB suppliers near OKC...I can ship under 5 inches by FedEx and any size via SW airlines for same day delivery.

T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Rainmain,
That's good news! I will be in touch soon.

T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So, I havent seen many of the FHM in my pond in quite some time and it certaintly isn't "black" with schools of them. I do have many resident ducks, geese, and herrings I have battled all winter.

Should I stock many more FHM now and some BG to get the ball rolling? Then add some small LMB next spring to keep the BG in check and then the HSB the follwing fall?

What I am after is good fishing action with as much biomass as I can manage. Figured big BG & big HSB would fit that bill. As I mentioned, planning on aerating and feeding.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: tod-hog
So my pond is one year old now. Stocked some 15 lbs of FHM last summer. Just now decided my stocking plan and getting that together. Made the decision to go with HSB but don't see any source for them locally in OKC (or anywhere in OK for that matter). Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: tod-hog
So, I havent seen many of the FHM in my pond in quite some time and it certaintly isn't "black" with schools of them. I do have many resident ducks, geese, and herrings I have battled all winter.

What cover/habitat do you have in the pond for FHM spawning substrate?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have some wooden pallets anchored at various depths of the pond to compensate for fluctuating water levels. I also have bricks and rocks on the shoreline staggered at various depths for the same purpose.
I'd guess i have the equivalent of 12-15 of said pallets and perhaps at any given depth a third of those are available at the 18" depth.

Are you thinking I need more FHM nursery stations? I could put several more palletts in and float them across via cable to insure they stay within the top 18".

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
With that many spawning locations, I do not think a lack of spawning areas is the issue...

Buy a minnow trap, one of those cheap ones you can get at almost any Wal-Mart for about $10. Place some dog food, bread or similar treat in it and set it in your pond. See what comes up... Seems very strange you aren't seeing more FHM. Ducks and geese will eat few to any and herons aren't that damaging to FHM numbers either.

T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I did as CJB suggested with the minnow trap and dog food. It was about half full of very fat, perhaps pregnant, FHM! There were a few small BG as well. Guessing they were in the FHM stock.

So, where should I go from here?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
See if you can take a few photos of the BG you caught in your minnow traps. If need be, set the trap again. I'd like to make sure they are in fact BG and not some other sunfish species.

If they are in fact BG, not a big deal as you had planned to stock LMB anyways. If they aren't BG, we'll see what they are and go from there. If they are BG, you'll probably be ready to stock LMB this spring. You can also stock some larger 4"-5"+ CNBG, if you'd like to have those genetics in your pond. However, you are right on that line where CNBG do and don't do well... You may wanna consult with Todd Overton when you buy your HSB as to whether he thinks CNBG would do well where you are.

T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
CJB,

Will do on the trap reset. As far as CNBG in my region go, a pond about 50 yards from mine is chalk full of 'em and they seem to be very very robust and healthy.

A maybe not so minor point I had forgotten and failed to mention was last summer exactly 2 adult CNBG, 2 adult GSF, and 2 adult RES were released into the pond. They came from the aforementioned neighbor's pond.

That might explain the sunfish fingerlings also. Those and the FHM are the ONLY thing in that pond.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Could the fathead be Gams by chance? Could you get pictures of them as well?

T
tod-hog Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I will work on getting some pics. What's a gam?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Gam=gambusia also known as a mosquitofish

Well, all it takes is one male and one female in any of those pairs and you now have babies. Without predators, it's amazing how many fish can be produced by just a male and a female. Or, if you have males and females but of different species, BG, GSF and RES will all hybridize with each other, so you may now have crosses...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM