Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nhc2002 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey guys my new 5 ac pond just filled up in December. I am located in southern Illinois not far from St. Louis. For the most part it is anywhere from 5 to 12 feet deep. My main goal is to produce some good sized LMB. However, I would also like to try a few WE just for the fun of it. I was also thinking about some HBG. I have no desire to have any CC.
I think the IDNR still has a fish stocking program here but I know its pretty generic and I wonder about the quality of the genetics etc. I had seen a little talk about tiger bass and had wondered about their potential in my area.
My pond is littered with structure such as pvc trees, pine trees, a few pallets, and some dirt mounds etc. I tried to have some method to my structure, although it probably does not appear that way.
So basically I am thinking LMB, WE, HBG, and whatever forage fish are suggested, but I am open to any advice.
I appreciate any advice on stocking rates, dates, or anything else. thanks guys

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Congrats on the new pond... Here are my thoughts you what you wrote.

If your main goal is to produce some good sized LMB, HBG are not going to get you there. HBG are mostly male, for the typical hybrid cross about 95% male. That means their reproductive rate is very small. Not exactly a good back bone as a forage fish. Which is what sunfish are to big bass in Midwestern ponds. Is there a specific reason you are interested in HBG? Outside of very limited reasons, pure BG are almost always a better choice. They grow larger and are better forage for bass. If stocked correctly, see my recommendations below, the misnomer that pure BG always stunt in northern ponds isn't true. Stunting of pure BG is usually due to stocking at the wrong times and/or the removal of too many adult bass and not enough BG.

I would skip using the IDNR stocker fish. The cost of the fish is miniscule compared to all the money you spent in building the pond. Spend the extra bit of money and obtain high quality fish.

Tiger bass, which is a commercial name for F1 hybrids between northern LMB and FL LMB wouldn't be an option for you as you are too far north for them to do well. In all likelihood, they would die in the cold winter.

Not wanting any CC is not a problem. They are not needed if they are undesired. WE can be an option as a bonus fish. Stocking 10 or so per acre every year or every other year is fine. They will not naturally reproduce in your pond, so they will have to be stocked to maintain their numbers. Try to find the largest stockers you can find as they will be easy prey for your LMB once your LMB begin to attain sizes over 12". Don't expect impressive growth rates. For what ever reason, I have a couple theories, WE tend to grow fast to about 16" and then top out around 20" in most smaller bodies of water such as your pond. However, a 18"-20" WE can be an excellent bonus fish and great table fare.

At 5 acres, you have the room to have more than your run of the mill LMB/BG pond. You can also consider some YP if you are interested in an additional panfish in your pond. They will go nicely with your WE. HSB would also be another excellent option. Stocked at 10-15 per acre every year or every other year as like WE, they will not reproduce in your pond. I would also consider stocking RES along with your BG.

Patience is important with a new pond. I would stock FHM and GSH this spring. 5 pounds per acre for the FHM and 2-3 pounds per acre with the GSH should get you off to a great start. You have a northern pond so I would not recommend giving your BG a jump start on your LMB like is commonly done in more southern ponds. Doing so often leads to stunting and subsequent issues with LMB reproduction. So, give your GSH and FHM a full year to make babies and acclimate to your pond. Next spring I would stock 400 BG and 100 RES per acre along with 50 LMB per acre. You can also consider stocking 50-100 YP per acre as well. At that time you can also begin sourcing your WE and HSB. They're generally easiest to source in the fall, so I would look at doing a fall stocking of them that year. The following year I would stock another 50 LMB per acre. These recommendations are based on stocking standard 2"-4" fingerlings for all species.

I would also look into stocking some crayfish, papershells are an excellent species to stock in your area. Getting them established before hungry fish mouths are preying on them is key. I am also a huge fan of grass shrimp. They are excellent forage for sunfish and younger predators. If stocked early, they should take hold and provide yet another good forage base for your fish. For a good source if interested, say so and I can tell you where to purchase them.

This stocking recommendation should get you off to a good start and produce a solid fishery that is balanced but leaning slightly towards producing quality bass.

Please, read up on this forum or ask questions about the risks of stocking other species like pike, muskies or crappies, etc...

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress! Also, you are in the same state as n8ly a forum member on here who owns Herman Brother's Pond Management. He'd be an invaluable resource for sourcing stocker fish, aeration, fish feeders or anything else you may need for your pond.

N
nhc2002 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
cjb, thank you so much for the in depth response, that was exactly what I was hoping for. The hbg was based on some things some local guys suggested but unless someone convinces me otherwise I will follow your advice. Thanks again for response.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM