Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,997
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24), 1,303 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275440 12/14/11 02:15 PM
W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
I've only been a member since October, but thanks to Pond Boss Forums I've been able to garner enough wonderful information to allow me to undertake the renovation of a small pond on my property. When I purchased my place, it came with an existing pond that was constructed by the previous owner who obviously did not do much pre-planning, had access to a small bulldozer, plenty of time and diesel, but NO tripod and level. The pond was shallow, filled with downed timber and trash, and over-grown with vegetation (see slideshow in attached URL). My goal is to try and renew the area to provide a decent fishing hole for myself and the grand-kids. Although small (approx 7/8 acre), with a maximum depth of 13-14 ft., hopefully my goals can be accomplished by using some combination of bluegill and predator fish. George1 has been especially helpful, having had great success with a similar situation, here in NE Texas, and I look forward to any input or suggestions from other forum members. The pond is sorta' "text-book" as you will see, with the exception that I chose to utilize a level control system that is somewhat non-conventional. I wanted to use a siphon system, but simply do not have enough elevation differential between the intake and discharge to make it work. So, take a look at the attached photos and give me any comments that you have. Thanks again, for being such a wonderful source for knowlegable information. (For best results, use the "slideshow" presentation)

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x398/critterville/?albumview=slideshow

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment". Will Rogers

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today". Will Rogers
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If you've talked to George, you've already gotten more advice than I could add. Looks good to me.

A Grandkid fishing hole is always good. Grandpa's can do no wrong.

Where are you in NE Texas?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
Dave: I just on the North edge of Emory, on Hwy 19.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment". Will Rogers

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Emory would be a great place to retire. It's just about halfway between Lake Tawakoni and Lake Fork.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
Yep, that's what the wife and I did........If you look at Emory in the Atlas, right beneath the town, it says "Shown Actual Size". We love it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Actual doesn't take long to see there.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey Ron, thanks for the slide show – we like pictures.
Post Oak Savannah geographic – Tertiary sandy/clay soils geologic – looks exactly like our ponds up in Delta County. Should have excellent water quality.
(Scott, he’s just down the road a piece from your friend's lakes).

As Dave says, you are half way between world class Lake Fork, where all the Florida Bass fever began as well as “Share Lunker” program, so you don’t need LMB in your pond with Lake Fork just a cast away ... and Tawokoni - best white bass lake in the country as well as striped bass ... now understand why you wanted just a small fun fishing hole in your backyard!!!

As you know, I love small ponds – very productive with well-planned stocking program and proper management. With success in our small 1/4 pond your project is what “triggered” my interest that resulted in my small pond post …

Southern HSB/CNBG fun fishing pond
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=21537&Number=273528#Post273528

Good luck and keep us posted.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
Thanks, George. Haven't checked this morning, but with last night's rain, I may be getting close to designed pool level. Problem is.....I'm getting really impatient (being Scot's/Irish I can do that) about putting fish in the water. I wrote Santa a letter asking for 20# FHM and 10# shiners, but I doubt he'll have room. Guess I'll have to go pick them up, after the first of the year. Hmmm....think I'll go dress my fly-line, right now.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
So what is your plan ? There are a lot of good ones out there that use GShiners and FH.

Nice job with the pics and work. You could add FH now.

Last edited by ewest; 12/15/11 09:48 AM.

W
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
W
ewest: Right now, I'm leaning toward adding the FHM/GS pretty quickly, then stocking the CNBG,RES and HSB later, once the forage minnows have spawned (as suggested by George1). Once done, then begin a feeding program for the panfish and create a "ladder" program for the HSB. Being new to this pond management program thing, I've got a lot of pending research to do, as well as get answers to questions that I'm still not smart enough to ask (hope that makes sense). Once I figure out the questions, I'm sure that the expertise of those on this forum will be able to provide solutions. Right now, I'm just cleaning up my fishing gear grin

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That sounds like a plan. The "keep up the learing" part is on point and a very good idea.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Have you subscribed to the magazine and bought Bob Lusk's book, "Perfect Pond, Want One?" Both great ideas and very informative. You are at the right stage for both.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 04:30 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM