Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shorthose, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, RogersTailgate, jpsdad), 858 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#263963 07/06/11 01:36 PM
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Our property is apparently right in the middle of the daily migration of a small herd of deer. We usually see them pass through in the am heading south and then back through in the evening heading north to bed.

There's a small doe that has been hanging around on our property the past few days by herself. Not doing the usual migration. We haven't seen any other deer with her (or a fawn for that matter, although I think she is too young/small). Our property is tree lined and she stays in the trees mostly but has been wandering out into our yard all hours of the day. There doesnt appear to be a thing wrong, other than she is staying around, something I haven't seen in the 5 years we've been here. I have 2 Aussie pups and they have barked and chased her into the trees a couple times but that doesn't seem to bother her, she emerges an hour or so later and continues to graze.
Thoughts?

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Her mom has recently given birth to her new fawn(s). She probably gave her doe fawn from last year the boot for the time being... In a couple weeks they will reunite when the newly born fawn(s) are a bit bigger. I wouldn't worry about the doe. She probably wasn't mature enough to breed last year, so she has no fawn or her own this year. This fall she'll be ready to breed and will do her own thing.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thats kinda what we were figuring. She definately had that lost wander going on. Time to grow up litle girl. cry

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
She'll be good eating this fall... If she doesn't learn, put her on the table.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Finally got close enough to see more than a flash of white dissappearing into the tree line, turns out my little doe is a little buck. Sorry little dude, my bad.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Momma probably kicked him away from her when she had the fawn(s) this year. He's probably wondering what the hell happened to make Momma that mad at him. He's on his own for the first time in his life and is trying to figure out what's safe and what's not.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
He has been away from his mama every since she kicked him away in October of last year when she went into estrus. This is prolly his new home area/summer area. If you have good summer food/cover that is why he is there. Put a trail camera out if you have one, normally bucks are in groups this time of year. You prolly have more then him hanging around.

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
How is the best way to attract deer? I have some that pass by based on tracks and an random sighting.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Cover, water, and food. A minerial block may help depending on the natural availability of minerials in your area.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Bossone
How is the best way to attract deer? I have some that pass by based on tracks and an random sighting.

Much of it depends on how much of an effort you want to put into it... Some just dump a bag of corn out in their backyards. Deer love corn, plain and simple. If you have extra open acreage, the planting of a food plant will be more beneficial to the deer in the long term and will attract them just as well if the right plants are planted.

Much of it depends on how much land you own and how your land is laid out... Then you can work with what you got to make it more attractive to deer, doing the big three that RAH mentioned.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
What you are seeing a picture of is a simple food trough I made at the rear of our 7 acres. I feed corn and deer pellets and sweet feed mixture. Not everyday, and not hardly at all during the summer months (I have enough pets to feed here at the house). The raccoons eat most of it but the deer do stop by. If they are hungry and it is there, they will be attracted to it.
I have tried food plots around the feeder without much success, they lightly graze through it but dont really seem interested.

You are probably getting much more activity than you realize, I really nice game camera can be huge fun! (even a cheap game camera can be revealing but they are often very tempramental).

Jeff-

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Many who plant food plots don't think the deer are utilizing them much... That is until they put up a test enclosure, say a 4' high fence that is 3'-4' round. Then they quickly see what their food plot would look like if the deer weren't eating it! Knee high and lush while the rest of the food plot is ankle high and mowed over... It's telling!

J
J
Here, there is little to no grass, and deer were eating peanut plants so much that they had a special hunting season and you could even spotlight the deer.

V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
Is that a glass jar on the post above the trough? What's that for?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: vamaz
Is that a glass jar on the post above the trough? What's that for?

A plastic peanut butter jar. Picked up some out-of-date jars for free and cut the bottoms out. nailed the cap to the post and screwed the bottomless jar to it. Like everything around here, the coons made off with most of it. They wear masks for a reason.

Jeff-

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
One of the highlights of our VERY hot summer has been seeing the wildlife come to the pond to drink. Two days ago (late afternoon), we actually saw an owl sitting on the far bank drinking.

We have one doe that has been bringing her fawns in for several weeks now. They prefer the fresh birdbath water to the stale water in the pond. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images