Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Freunb02, anthropic, Fishingadventure, bmicek, KenHorton), 1,180 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
oasis Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hello, my name is Renee & I live in Southern Indiana. I am so glad to find this amazing resource and as a newbie would truly appreciate any wisdom you can share from your experience.

I 1/2 weeks ago I had a pond 1/8 acre pond built with the deepest depth being 18ft. I live without running water and had this pond built to help with water resources for my house, gardens and of course for enjoyment. It has been built high above both my gardens and house and there is piping running from hydrants to my garden & home site that will be gravity fed. Because it is going to be a water source I am not going to stock this pond with fish (that will be a different location) and it is vital that I protect it from chemicals & invasive plants.

So, with that in mind, I have some questions and hope you will give them your consideration.

1. In the past week & a half we have had some rain and the pond has filled up about 4 or 5 feet. How long does it normally take for a pond to fill (I realize this is relative to rainfall, soil, etc, but just want an average estimate)?

2. How long does it take the muddy water to clear?

3. I have read a lot about aeration & want to do that but have no electricity in the pond area. Do you all have any opinions about whether solar or wind would be the best option? Also, how soon would you start aerating and how much water should be in the pond first?

4. I am concerned about invasive vegetation & wonder what you all have found is beneficial to the pond, but will not take over at all...any suggestions?

5. How long does it take for a pond to seal & should I help the process with any natural sealants?

6. Has anyone here ever filtered their pond water for drinking? If so, what did you use?

7. Lastly, (for now wink ) do you recommend any beneficial additives for pond health (keeping in mind this needs to be a protected water source & chemical free)?

THANKS SO MUCH for your thoughts & consideration. I really want to get this right & have even more ponds built, but this is my first and I need some help from all you pond bosses out there. smile

Happy to be here...
Renee

Last edited by oasis; 06/27/11 05:27 PM.
R
R&R Offline
R
Renee,
Welcome to the site(From a fellow Hoosier), It is a great place for info. I'm new on here also but give it a little time and some knowlegeable people will address your questions.

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
O
oasis Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi, Fellow Hoosier!
Thanks for the welcome & encouragement! Looking forward to learning a lot here!
All the best to you,
Renee

S
S
Hello from another fellow Hoosier, welcome to to the forum!! Like R&R said, some way more knowledgeable than I should be along to answer some of your questions shortly. Once again WELCOME!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Renee, I can answer some of your questions but not with definitive answers. Every pond is different and we usually say "It all depends.".

1. You are right about everything being relative. It depends on rainfall and runoff area.

2. Muddy water in a new pond often clears in about 4 to 6 weeks. This assumes no chemical interactions that keep soil/clay suspended. However, if it rains and dirt washes in, there you go again.

3. wind

4. Hold for someone from your area.

5. Technically, a pond never entirely seals. Water keeps wicking into the soils. Finding a good sealant for ponds is quite a quest around here.

6. Lots of ways to filter water for drinking. However, I'll let others go into specifics of charcoal, etc.

7. I'll pass on this one for somenoe else.

Have you had the pond water tested for nasties?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
no running water? have you seen the solar systems out there that use a dc shurflo pump about 2 gallons per minute? you could use one of those to pump to a container above your home site then use gravity to get from there to the house....you get appx 1 pound of pressure for evey two feet of elevation..so if you have a 20 ft hill above you to bury a small 275 gallon tote you would get 10 psi in the house..just a thought....as far as a pond filling you were right it all depends on size , soil , rain.......muddy water can be resolved by getting grass going along the banks if that hasnt been done yet...but depending on where your run off is coming from makes a difference too...wait for someone with more expertise to answer though

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Renee, welcome to the forum. I'll see if I can expound on Dave's answers (if at all).

1. In the past week & a half we have had some rain and the pond has filled up about 4 or 5 feet. How long does it normally take for a pond to fill (I realize this is relative to rainfall, soil, etc, but just want an average estimate)?

Too many variables to give an answer. Hopefully the pond was dug in clay, or you had enough clay so the contractor could properly line and compact your pond. If you are strictly depending on ground water, and the pond isn't sealed, then you are at the mercy of Mother Nature. If the groundwater is at 20' depth in the soil around the pond, and your pond isn't sealed, then you won't have any water. As for sealers, nothing beats 1) a 45 to 60 mil liner or 2) 24" of properly compacted clay.

2. How long does it take the muddy water to clear?
What Dave said. Read the thread about clearing clay with alum (Alum kicks Clay's butt) in the muddy water section.

3. I have read a lot about aeration & want to do that but have no electricity in the pond area. Do you all have any opinions about whether solar or wind would be the best option? Also, how soon would you start aerating and how much water should be in the pond first?

If you aren't going to have fish in there, and will be taking your water from above the thermocline, then I don't think you need to worry about aerating. I have a friend that is using a windmill and pushing air 900' to aerate his pond. Solar is about 2x the price of a windmill aeration system.

4. I am concerned about invasive vegetation & wonder what you all have found is beneficial to the pond, but will not take over at all...any suggestions?

I'm not sure. I would send Bill Cody a Private message and ask him. There are a lot of people in Ohio that use ponds for drinking water.

5. How long does it take for a pond to seal & should I help the process with any natural sealants?

It all depends. See answer #1.

6. Has anyone here ever filtered their pond water for drinking? If so, what did you use?

No, but I'd think you'd at the minimum need a sediment filter. I'd look at the reverse osmosis filter systems for drinking. Before using the water for consumption, I'd send a sample off for testing. My well water is filtered by 60+ feet of sand. I like the solar powered pump and uphill storage tank idea. They still use storage tanks on top of some buildings in large metropolitan cities.

7. Lastly, (for now ) do you recommend any beneficial additives for pond health (keeping in mind this needs to be a protected water source & chemical free)?

I'd consider tossing in some FHM or other fish that will prey on mosquitos. It'd be better for you to put some fish in there than have someone stock it for you without your knowledge. Lots of people use Blue Tilapia in their drinking water ponds for pondweed and algae control.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM