Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,981
Posts558,173
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
13 members (Boondoggle, Augie, DPSMESA, Sunil, FireIsHot, Theo Gallus, JoshMI, andrew davis, Brian from Texas, LeighAnn, Shorthose, Sryously, ghdmd), 996 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21923 07/30/05 07:53 PM
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
From past posts you know I have problems. A quick recap. New 1 1/2 acre pond 14 feet to 4 feet. New in 03. Stocked in Oct 03 150lm 500 gills 75 hybreds, 75 channel cats, 75 shellcrackers, and thousands of fatheads three different times. I pellet feed although the fish were not pellet trained. I have never seen or caught a channal cat. I think that they are all dead. Everything else is growin fine except the bass. I have been on here before and got advise to add more forage. I added 250 more shellcrackers and more fatheads. I see small gills (1/2" to 1 1/2") so I am getting a good forage base. I see small minnows that I think are fatheads, so thats ok. The ptoblem are the bass. They came from a small mom and pop, operation that I believe may have bad genetics. They were not pellet trained and were 4" in Oct 03. Today they are all 9 inches long and weigh 6 ozs. Here is one theory from another hatchery. My first supplier is an old operation that probably does not do much accept sell the young from farm ponds and never improve their brood stock. He said that the 4" bass that I got could be very much older than they should be. He feels that they need to go. I build another pond down the road last year for a friend. About everything the same for him in size. He got his pellet raised fish from this guy that is giving me advise about my pond. His 2" bass that he put in late April/early May, are now 7" long with big bellies on them. This new hatchery said to catch, eat or kill all of my bass. He wants to restock with his pellet trained bass this Sept. He has no anwser about what happened to my cats. Help

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Tom, two years ago I put (10) channel cats in my 6-7 acre pond. I've never seen them since, but from what I've heard, you don't see them for two to three years, but when you do, look out. I don't know if that's true.

So your LMB are getting close to two years old; 9" long seems somewhat short for that age. Some other members should be able to chime in on that.

There are plenty of "Ahians" here as Theo Gallus might say. I'm certain that they would have experience with both fish suppliers you are dealing with.

Be tactful if you choose to mention names. I would wait to hear from some other Ohio members before you act.

Good luck.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tom,

Can you email me and tell me who it is? I had a very bad experience with an Ohio fish supplier this spring. Totally unprofessional and a horse's ass. I came very close to legal action. We'll keep this to ourselves but I have a strong suspicion it's the same one.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Tom:

I can provide some LMB growth comparison data. I doubt your October 03 fingerlings had much time to grow in 2003, so I would consider them to have a season and a half under their belts. At the cooresponding time, my 3"-4" LMB stockers (not pellet trained and I have never seen them eat more than 6 pellets total) ranged from 8" to 12". So it looks like your bass may be a little behind mine, on average.

I believe you have talked about your disappearing cats before here. At least CC are cheap to replace.

I can't remember how many LMB you put in, but you could add more from other source(s) if you are concerned about genetic diversity. If your current bass are truly deficient, new bass and their offfspring should outcompete them in the longterm.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thanks guys. I would never say who sold me the first fish. I am not mad at him and I don't want anything from him. I am just looking for advise on how to correct the problem. I put in 150lm 4" in Oct 03 and my neighbor put in 2" this may and his are 7" already. Mine are only 9" now. I think that I will thin out some of my bass and restock with a new strain this fall. As for the channel cats, I think they died. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Bluegill Only Pond???
by DPSMESA - 05/03/24 10:49 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by Theo Gallus - 05/03/24 10:04 AM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by Boondoggle - 05/03/24 08:25 AM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by Sunil - 05/03/24 07:21 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use