Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (esshup, Dave Davidson1), 1,170 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Had a 1/4 acre pond dug in my front yard a year ago. There are several ponds in my area. 2 of these ponds are around 800 to 1000 feet from mine. Both of these ponds are full of fish. For some reason mine has no fish, no minnows and the water is a blue color. Its very clear but, has a blue hue to it. I realize I will need to stock fish. But, there should be minnows at least in there by now. There is also no aquatic vegitation either of any kind. I havent had time to deal with it because I was also building a house. Now the house is done. Its time to get the pond in order. Anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong with it and what do I need to do to find out? Thanks

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Randy G and welcome to Pond Boss.

Hang on for some expert opinions.

Have you ever had the water tested?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
OP Offline
R
No, havent had the water tested. Guess that would be a good start. I didnt really know if I should do it or if I should have someone else do it. Thanks

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Randy, someone evidently stocked fish in the other 2 but not in yours. Not sure about the blue hue but someone could have put some pond dye in it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pics would help..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just curious, Randy, but why do you think there should be fish in your newly dug pond if you haven't stocked it? Is there a stream connected to it or some other water source that might introduce fish? Not being critical, rather just trying to understand if perhaps you stocked it and simply can't get a population established, or if you thought it might populate on its own somehow.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
R
OP Offline
R
Well, I have seen lots of other lakes and ponds in this are that had the same problem. The pond hasnt been tampered with or dyed by anyone. The water actually burns your eyes a little if you open them under the water. Been swimming in it. I think the blue green hue is from some sort of high mineral content. No, there are no streams or other water sorces connected to it. Just figured that after a year and a half that birds would have brought minnow eggs along by now. I contacted the extension office today and for 17 dollars they will send the water sample to the university of Georgia for a test. They said after the test they will offer suggestions on what needs to be done in there opinion. I suppose I could go next door to one of the other ponds and get a bream and toss him in there and see if he lives? I am new to this and maybe just wrong about it. I would just think something would be living in there by now. Grass, alge, minnows, something.

R
OP Offline
R
Right now it is also very low. Seems to rise and fall with the water table. Thinking of dropping a well to keep it full.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Randy, no evidence that birds or anything but man or overflows stock fish.

Interesting about the water hue and eyes burning. Is this common to the other ponds in the area? I would definitely get the test done before proceeding.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You can always add a pound or two of fathead minnows and see how they do. They're cheap canaries.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Like CJ said, I'd toss in Fathead minnows and not another fish. But, if the water burns your eyes, I'd definately get it tested.

What are your goals for the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
Goals for the pond. Well, its really not big enough for any large amount of fish. So, I had thought about catfish and putting a fish feeder on it. I am an avid bass fisherman and thought about some bass but, like I was say'in, just dont think its big enough for that. I also wanted to put a dock on it for hangin out on and entertaining friends. I have power ran out to it so I would be able to have lights or whatever I would need for the pond that would require power.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I still think your first step should be a water test.

R
OP Offline
R
Well, I went by the local pet supply store today to buy some minnows to put in and see what would happen. While I was there the fish guy told me to bring a water sample back and they would test it for m for free. I went home let the bag of minnows aclimate b floating in the pond for a half hour. Let them loose and they all lived and were still alive at dark. So, I get a bottle clean it out fill it up and head back to the pet store. They checked it and there words. "This is the most perfect water we have ever seen, Our aqauriums dont even look this good. Did you really get it out of your pond?" So, aparently the water is fine. Last summer it would burn your eyes. I guess whatever was in it is gone now. The water really clear with a blue green hue. Do I need to get some sort of alge bloom going for minnows to eat? Thanks for all the great advice I have gotten so far.

I
I
The water may be fine based on the limited tests a Pet Store will perform. The substance that is causing the color and the burning of the eyes may require a professional testing laboratory for a true determination to be made.

C
C
When I redug my pond it had the same blue color. After a few months it went away. Here is a pic,

Now its normal

Last edited by esshup; 05/12/11 12:19 AM. Reason: Gave Cody a bit of help posting pics
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Randy, water that is perfect for an aquarium is not always suitable for a pond with fish. Aquariums generally have clear water and the fish are fed daily. Pond fish, especially minnows, eat plant/animal life and are eaten by others. The basic element of a healthy pond is phytoplankton, microscopic plants. The are eaten by zooplankton, microscopic animals. The zoo and phyto are eaten by tiny bugs that are eaten by larger bugs, tiny fish, etc.

A pond should have about 18 to 24 inches of clarity. This means that phyto colors the pond water such that a white or shiny object disappears from view somewhere between 18 to 24 inches. The pond that has clear water that lets you see the bottom is considered an unhealthy pond for the existence of fish.

R
OP Offline
R
Right. The small minnows need something to eat. What do I need to add to start an alge bloom?

C
C
Fatheads will find enough food from mosquito larva, small bugs and all the other stuff that blows in the pond.

R
OP Offline
R
Sounds like I need to put some lime in it to start a alge bloom from some of he things I have read here using the seach function.

I
I
Lime adjusts the Alkalinity level which acts as a buffer for the pH. No direct connection to algae.
If you want an algae bloom, I would think the addition of fertilizer would be the course of action. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can tell you which N-P-K formulation to use and the proper application dosage.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
If the alkalinity is below 20 ppm fertilizer probably won't produce a bloom. You need to put agricultural lime in it to raise the alkalinity before trying to fertilize. My county ag extension office tests alkalinity for free.

1 3/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and 1/10 acre ponds in NE Smith County, East Texas.
R
OP Offline
R
I checked it and the PH is really low. Does that mean the alkalinity is low?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
No, PH and alkilinity are entirely different.

What numbers did the pet store tell you that you have?

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/17/11 02:50 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM