Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,519
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
8 members (LANGSTER, canyoncreek, Theo Gallus, LeighAnn, e_stallman, Don Kennedy, GhostRiver, Jake D.), 1,021 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#255149 04/17/11 12:56 AM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
... Anybody know anything about them?

The county has a young male up for adoption. His name is Smokey.

They did not give his age, just that he is a young male.

Years ago, a friend of mine had a female Siberian Huskie, and she was the sweetest gal around.

They did say that Smokey would be a good family pet, just that he lacks on the side of obedience.

How hard is it to train a dog, probably 2+ years old?

Smokey looks pretty awesome, although, no dog could replace my best friend Luna. She would approve!

I am usually gone for about 11 hrs per day. Even though there are plenty of people around, I am worried about a proper connection.

Luna was with me since a little puppy and went everywhere I went, I mean everywhere! and that is how our bond became so great!

I am just worried that I wont be able to do that with another dog. With the new job and all.

Thoughts and opinions, Please!

JKB #255150 04/17/11 02:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm a mixed breed or mutt fan for life. This dog has a kind of puppy-ish look to him, so I wonder if he's really two years old, but who knows? I think the rescue thing is the best thing you can do. The 11 hour time gap is brutal unless you have someone who's able to spend time with the dog while you're away.

How much do you think he weighs?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Looks to be maybe a year old, huskies are great dogs, extremly smart, but will tear up stuff if left alone, they shed twice a year and the hair piles from the under coat can be 3 feet high when you brush them. If an inside dog all dark colored clothes are out of the question due to the hair. If an outside dog they are excaspe artist, and will roam miles at the time. They are a working dogs and require a lot to keep them from getting bored.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

My thinking is if you are gone 11 hours of the day you may not want to consider any dog at this time. It just wouldn't be fair to the dog. Just my two cents. Not sure if you're a cat person but a cat would be an option. My brother took in a stray cat and he just loves it to death. Looks and acts like Garfield though.

The previous poster pretty much hit the nail on the head. And every husky I have ever met was a sweet dog and very friendly. Same goes for malamutes.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Huskies are trainable but not easy. Sled dogs, in general, are a bit less domesticated compared with many breeds. They also need to be kept from overheating in the heat of summer. If you are going to be gone a lot, having a large outside pen, and at least two dogs would be better for them, so they have some company. Plan to spend plenty of time if you want a trained husky. Sled dogs are great pets, but take time.

RAH #255160 04/17/11 10:26 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
As part of my real job, I'm over the person who is over the County Animal Control Program and Shelter. My wife also has gotten an animal that would have gone there and I've seen lots others.

Part of our job is to promote adoptions so this sounds horrible; but... As a general rule, I personally would not recommend any animal from an animal shelter. You may get a wonderful animal; but your odds of doing so are much less than if you buy one from a reputable breeder. Considering all your expenses during the life of the dog, the purchase price difference won't amount to much.

We've spent thousands in obedience training on the mixed breed dog we have and she still doesn't exactly have a great temperment. We were given a Golden Retriever puppy as a wedding present by someone my wife works with and that dog has about the sweetest personality I've ever seen.

I've also had a great German Shepherd dog in the past.

Personally, I would pick out the type of dog you wish that would be suitable to your situation (time away, space available, etc.) and then find a good breeder.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rangersedge,

You're entitled to your own opinion and I respect that, especially since you have some experience in the field. However I couldn't disagree more.

Yes, some of those dogs at the shelter are there due to behavioral problems, but even then I'll bet 99 percent of the time it was because the owner didn't have a clue on training a dog or was a irresponsible owner. Today a lot of people have had to give up perfectly good dogs due to foreclosures etc. When I got my last dog I was floored at the number of purebreeds up for adoption. Labs, Golden Retrievers, Boxers, pointers, etc. etc.

Growing up our dogs were strays we'd taken in along with some purebred high strung bird dogs we bought for big bucks. I'd take the mutts we took in hands down for companions. Never regretted them. It was as if they never forgot we gave them a home.

As far as purebreeds there is some thinking out there that due to inbreeding that has taken place even with the most careful breeder, that pure breeds are more prone to health problems and cancer. All our mutts lived long lives, and not one died of cancer that I know of.

One of the criteria the local shelter has is to determine if the animal will be successful in it's new home. If JKB told them he's be gone 11 hours of the day I doubt he'd get a dog. I do like the idea of getting two if does really want one. My niece had a solitary dog and the neighbors complained it was always whining when she was away from home. She got another dog that was destined to a shelter and both are happy as clams! She does however have a large backyard with a privacy fence and they can't get out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/11 11:01 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We've owned several Siberian Huskies, all of them purebred. I won't get into the animal shelter vs. purebreed argument any further than to say I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a young animal from a shelter. We've had female and male Siberians, they both need something to do all the time. They are a working breed, and tend to get bored easily. When that happens, look out. They also are extremely stubborn, to the point that a professional dog trainer said one of our males was the strongest willed dog he had ever seen. We installed 4 different versions of underground electric fencing before we found a system that would turn the male. 8000 volts. Very smart breed, that same male figured out that the collar would give a warning "beep" before he got shocked, so he would lay down just outside of the shock zone, and let the constant beeping run down the collar batteries. Then he was gone. The last system we installed had no warning, just the correctional shock, it worked well. They do shed twice a year, it's referred to as blowing a coat, and it is extreme. I'm talking trash bags full of fur, coming off in clumps. They also LOVE fish. Mine would wait while I filleted, then demand some of the skins. I always gave them some, although I do admit to wondering if that was a good idea. In short, if you're not around much, they may not be the best choice, as they require a LOT of personal interaction to train properly, and they can get destructive if they become bored.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
WOW....I'm really tempted to look into this dog. My husky was not destructive at all but when they shed, be prepared to brush them every day till you get all of the old hair out. But they are a beautiful animal once they are done shedding. They do love to roam and you will never get that trait out of them. You might think you did but they will look at you and "grin" then bolt like a bat out of hell off to their next adventure. Keep them on a leash or walk them regular.

I've already gotten one dog off this site (without telling my wife till the next day). I might try to make it two if you can't take him. But I'll have to ask her first this time.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
All good points and info. Thanks.

I think I'll hold off till I get the property fenced in. Our neighbor has a couple of mean dogs that get loose a couple times per year. I think the owner lets them loose on purpose.

I would also get two dogs.

hang_loose, He is at the Newaygo County Animal Shelter. Here is a link: Smokey

Last edited by JKB; 04/18/11 06:01 AM. Reason: fat fingers
JKB #255240 04/18/11 11:44 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As some of you probably already know I adopted an Akita (yes it's my first personal purbreed but I loved her temperment at the kennel). All the other dogs were yelping, "Pick me, pick me," but Ava was like yeah I'd like to get out of here but if you don't pick me that's your problem."

What's really hillarious is the wife made a list of her favorite dogs the shelter had posted on the Internet. Ava was in last place because they tend to be one owner dogs. And of course you know who I picked! grin The wife loves her to death now though.

She's not a one owner dog completely, but refuses to enter my dad's apartment next door if I don't go too. This tears my dad up as he loves the dog and usually has a way with animals. Even treats won't get her to go next door without my wife or myself!

Anyway, back to the shedding... She's in same group of dogs as the Husky (Spitz breed I think), and she does shed big time twice a year. But it's not a big deal as I brush her whenever we go outside, which as I said is up to five times a day.

An extremely intelligent animal that goes from being a little aloof to very affectionate. When I'm home all the time she can be aloof (takes me for granted), but when I go away the wife says she cries like a baby as I leave, and when I come back it's like I've been gone a year!

By the way, this breed's whine is a cry, and it's really pitiful and a heart breaker. Does a lot of grunting too. Akitas have a reputation of being aggressive but that couldn't be farther from the truth for my female. They are not supposed to bark but apparently my dog hasn't read the book.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/18/11 11:53 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Akita's are beautiful dogs (as are huskies and malamutes). I've thought about one many times in the past.

I've thought about my earlier comments. Maybe I was a bit harsh and vague. I've had mostly mixed breed dogs my entire life and have had a number of great dogs. I have also been around some purebreds that had all sorts of health / temperment issues and problems. I have also seen lots of people who adopt breeds that are not well suited to their situations (for example, someone in an apartment that works all day picking a large active breed).

You can often find a diamond among the coals at a shelter. I've seen some of them and some of my family / friends have adopted some of them so no real disagreement there. It is just a matter of odds and I still maintain that your odds are better when you get a dog from a really good, individual breeder (definitely not one of the puppy mills). From a fish perspective, if you want fast growth and large size, which is most likely to have the best result: stocking your pond with sunfish seined from the local crick or with Condello's Bluegill?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rangersedge

From a fish perspective, if you want fast growth and large size, which is most likely to have the best result: stocking your pond with sunfish seined from the local crick or with Condello's Bluegill?

Condello's bluegills grow too fast and are too big and active to be pets in the aquarium. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/20/11 02:16 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Good point! smile

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I've been in the same line of work Rangersedge, and I would have to agree with you concerning the number of dogs in shelters that have behavioral problems (regardless of how those problems take root).

As part of our animal science curriculum we had to examine several ethology studies that had to do with shelters, adoption rates, and behavioral problems, and those studies pointed to pretty much the same thing.

I've adopted dogs in the past, and haven't had any problems, but I kind of know what I'm looking for. In my experience, the situation at most shelters is that somewhere around 70% of the dogs are there a REALLY long time for whatever reason (behavioral, etc), and 30% of them are adopted out pretty quickly and make great companions.

I certainly wouldn't send someone who is getting their first dog to the local shelter, but wouldn't hesitate to send someone over if they already have a dog or two under their belt. Breaks my heart when new owners bring them back because they can't handle them and their "quirks".

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've had quite a few purebreeds... All champion breeds. 4 English bulldogs (very costly lifetime expect problems) 2 American bulldogs these are great dogs and I will own these over any dogs (although they can be how should I put this absent minded of there huge size) also owned 2 different dachshunds (great dogs all around) also a red English setter.. These were all my purebred breeder bought "champions".. I've also owned many mutts mainly beagle or Bassett hounds mixes..

Of all the dogs iveowned I will strongly disagree with ranger.. It's not at allanout the dog it's 100% about the owner. If the dogs doing something wrong guess what it's your fault.. I do think you should research your dog well before buying all dogs have there own genetic "setbacks" like shedding, skin problems, backs, hips, all this stuff be sure to learn everything you can before you get a dog..

And remember the dogs only as ignorant as the owner makes it..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I'm not so sure that everyone is quite understanding what Ranger was trying to say. I really don't think he meant it in the way people might be taking it.

In some cases the dog is only as ignorant as the "previous" owner made it, and unfortunately due to how dogs are socialized at a young age, there isn't a whole lot that can be done by the "new" adopting owner to correct it.

I think everyone who has commented thus far is pretty much right on the money.

I guess the answer to shelter vs breeder is that it "all depends".

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Talk to Cesear Milan (dog whisperer).. Lol smile

It definately all depends

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
To each his own but my dogs will always come from a shelter. The only bad part is how bad I feel I can't take them all home. Heck part of the reason I took the dog I have is I couldn't bear to put her back in the cage. Unless a dog has some serious issues, I believe everything is correctable if you have patience and know what you're doing.

Last time I went I got there near closing time and had to come back the next day. When I came back the next day an entire row of cages was empty. I asked where the dogs were and was told yesterday was "euthanasia day." frown I could never work there!

I can still picture a very intelligent beautiful brindle coat Pitbull that just calmly took in his surroundings. Of course he was gone the next day.

My dad took a trip one day to the landfill and happened to see where they all end up. It's pretty heartbreaking to see a bunch of dogs and cats in a pile whose only crime was probably an incompetent owner or an owner that had come on hard times.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/19/11 01:21 PM.

M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
Thank you, Cecil

We see the same "problems" with horse owners; in most cases it's the owners who have/had the problems - not the horse.

Just like computers == garbage in - garbage out.

Mrs. Mongo

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Dogs differ in their innate personalities even when adopted at pups, and we have had some doozies. We have always cared for them well, but even within a breed, there are significant differences in temperament, trainability, and intelligence. We have a mentally challenged German shepherd at the moment - no kidding.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Bluegillkiller: "...I do think you should research your dog well before buying all dogs have there own genetic "setbacks" like shedding, skin problems, backs, hips, all this stuff be sure to learn everything you can before you get a dog.."

I agree. Which is part of why I maintain that your odds are much better when you purchase from a reputable breeder. With a good breeder, you have some assurance that the dog you're getting has a certain temperment, has been socialized properly, received their vaccinations, doesn't have genetic problems, etc. Granted, those assurances aren't often guarantees. With a dog from a shelter, you have no assurances.

All: As to the training and dog problems being people / owner problems. I agree; but you can spend lots of time and money addressing problems created by previous owners. And... Even if you fix the "problems", you may not be able to really address the temperment issues. A/C programs benefit from people adopting the animals. In addition to the ethical issues of euthanizing animals, adoption brings money into the shelter whereas euthanization costs. I was just trying to offer some advice to the original poster based upon probabilities. Maybe I should have pm'd him. I didn't mean to insult anyone. You're my friends. Truce?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rangersedge,

No offense taken here. I see your viewpoint and we all have our opinions based on our experiences and expertise. I actually don't disagree with you.

That said, here's another caveat that some might not agree with, but I will throw it out. Just like people few dogs are perfect, and sometimes it's the imperfections that make life with them interesting. Some of the traits that are considered negative in dogs I actually find endearing at times. I also feel people sometimes don't understand that they are dogs and not people, so therefore you have to give them a little leeway.

My last dog was a very strong willed dominant female that could be a challenge at times, but it usually made me laugh. She had to be the center of attention, the first one up the stairs, and God almighty don't bump her in bed with your foot when she was fast asleep. However still upset to the end when you bumped her in her sleep, she only got snappy one time as I showed her who was the boss and made her get of the bed immediately. I have my limits but I don't sweat the small stuff.

She was house trained with no problems except once. My wife and I had taken in my nephew and he got a spare bedroom. One day we were all discussing something and the dog nonchalantly walked in and took a dump right in front of us all. Of course I scolded the dog and it never happened again but I think she resents the attention my nephew was getting and wanted to show this was her territory.

I camped out with the dog for a couple of weeks on a fishing trip while the wife was in Europe with exchange students. Sandy had to be the first one in the tent and the first one on the only cot. She would not sleep on the ground! She also got me up in the mornings! I once lost my footing on a pond bank and she came running from the other side of the pond. I think she thought she was my mother or something.

I had a customer come barreling up the driveway with his brand new pickup truck all excited about a bass he wanted mounted. She got excited and had to greet him at the truck door before he got out. She got up on her hind legs and rested her front paws on his window seal. Next thing I know I hear this horrible scraping noise as she runs her claws down his truck door on her way back to the ground. Needless to say he wasn't happy camper and got a free fish mount out of it. He did say, "You should shoot that dog," and I replied, "That's not going to happen." I did understand his side of it completely though.

She wasn't a perfect dog but I miss her dearly.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/20/11 10:19 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I understand. It is the idiosyncrasies that make each dog or person special. As an example: our Golden Retriever LOVES the water. Even in the middle of winter, he’ll jump at almost any chance to jump in a lake or even a puddle. That said, he virtually refuses to go outside in the rain.

JKB #256068 04/24/11 12:56 AM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: JKB
All good points and info. Thanks.

I think I'll hold off till I get the property fenced in. Our neighbor has a couple of mean dogs that get loose a couple times per year. I think the owner lets them loose on purpose.

I would also get two dogs.

hang_loose, He is at the Newaygo County Animal Shelter. Here is a link: Smokey

JKB, Smokey is a beautiful dog but I can't take him. I could deal with all of the shedding but I forgot something.....My wife reminded me of the 13 tickets I recieved for a dog running at large (65.00 a ticket). I don't remember how many chains or collars he broke but it wasn't because we let him run free. They are powerful dogs bred for strength and the ability to run. I really hope he finds a good home (somewhere with a sound fence.

Good luck Smokey.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
BG sex?
by FishinRod - 05/16/24 02:37 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by FishinRod - 05/16/24 02:25 PM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina
by gehajake - 05/16/24 07:26 AM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond