Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I really messed up bad! Must have slightly lifted the siphon tube to my clarify tank last night letting in a little air when doing a water change. Something didn't feel right but...

Anyway, even though i came back and checked an hour later and everything was fine, this morning I came down to 170 plus yellow perch and three bluegills as dead as they come with only 6 inches of water in the bottom of the tank. Apparently as the siphon failed going into the clarifier tank, that tank got pumped down by the pump that sends water to the biofilter tank. The siphon in the biofilter tank that flows water back to the fish tank via gravity responded by pulling water to the biofilter tank, overflowing onto the floor draining the fish tank. Eventually the agitator was left high and dry reducing oxygen levels and there wasn't enough water in the fish tank for the fish breath. All this while I'm fast asleep at night.

I have to move on but I have learned and will make changes in the future.

1.) I'll have an alarm to let me know levels drop below a certain level.

2.) The overflow to the fish tank from the biofilter tank will be gravity instead of a second siphon.

3.) I'll listen to the my intuition that tells me something isn't right (as in this case I should have refilled the siphon tube if I had any doubts if something is wrong.) Two ways I've gone wrong in my life: listening to others against my own thoughts and not listening to that little voice inside me.

I'm guessing there are also fish on the floor around the tank but the picture doesn't do the number of dead fish justice.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/11 11:40 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Wow Cecil, that's a real bummer, sorry to hear about your loss.

I found an alarm on ebay, maybe something like this will work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Tank-Sound-...=item4aa91e9cad

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks ADK. I'll definiely have to do that in the future. No fish to worry about now though.

What really burns me is normally I could replace them economically from my former perch supplier in Ohio that sells "shooters" to Ohio residences. But thanks to the VHS testing requirements and their expense, he can't justify selling them across state lines. Meanwhile a guy breaks the law twice importing Asian carp into Canada and the first fine of $40,000 wasn't enough to stop him from doing it again. I'm think his hauls are worth much more. As usual the government going overboard with regs only hurts the honest people. mad

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Unfortunately when the Govmt. makes a stupid law it forces many honest people to choose weather to go out of business or chance breaking the law to make a living.
This was the situation a trout farm I use to buy from was put in.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil-what does the term "Shooter" mean when you are talking about the perch?

Dave J

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave J
Cecil-what does the term "Shooter" mean when you are talking about the perch?

Dave J

Dave,

A shooter is any fish that is well ahead in growth of the other fish. These fish were the creme of the crop of last years production and now they become crow food. Live and learn I guess.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sorry to hear about this Cecil... That had to make you feel sick to your stomach!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Sorry to hear about this Cecil... That had to make you feel sick to your stomach!

It's just a setback although an expensive one. I consider myself lucky when I see the misfortune of others.

Unlike ponds the fish in an RAS are in a situation similar to our astronauts in space that are living in a hostile environment. That is if their environment is compromised it means death. That's why just like NASA, with an RAS, you need everything covered and nothing is left to chance. Even redundant systems like NASA.

Turns out it was not the siphon. The drain hose for the biofilter that is supposed to be curled up against the tank was laying on floor uncurled. That's how the system got drained. For some reason the lock tie that was holding it up had released as it's not broken. The zip tie won't lock either but I know it did before. Perhaps poor quality? Next time I'll even add a plug to the end of the hose.

In hind site I'm not sure making it easy to drain the tank was a good idea. If I had just left a plug in the tank fish would still be swimming.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/11 05:05 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Those appear to be some very nice sized fish from the 2010 hatch. Look at that really nice YP that the end of the zip tie points to. I hate to think of all the hours and effort that went into getting those fish to March 6th. What is it they say - One has to kill thousands of fish to be a certified fish grower. CB1 you are earning your 'stripes' and fish grower badge of knowledge. You have a good attitude - hang in there buddy. It would be my luck if Iput those fish out for crow food the neighhbors would report me for smelling up the neighborhood!.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/08/11 05:11 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You just had to remind me of all that didn't you! cry grin

My dad always told me no matter what happens the sun still comes up the next morning!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
YP will spawn again this spring.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sorry about that Cecil. If you are using a one man system redundancy is a must. Interior (in tank) and exterior (in hose) plugs may work. Have to have both out to let it drain. Protocol always do the inside plug first then the outside. Then the hose end/exit will tell you if its right.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Sorry about that Cecil. If you are using a one man system redundancy is a must. Interior (in tank) and exterior (in hose) plugs may work. Have to have both out to let it drain. Protocol always do the inside plug first then the outside. Then the hose end/exit will tell you if its right.

Very true! I know that now. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

That's why there is sex. It's a motivator to reproduce. If it wasn't any fun animals probably would have gone extinct from the get go. smirk

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well, at least you know you can do it as you've already done it once... It's 1 year and not 5, look at it on that bright note.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Bummer Dude! At least you can fix that bug. A simple ball valve on your drain should do the trick.

I was never too confident in a siphon, although it has worked for you. Risk is too high for me.

Even though your Perch have XX eyes, you had some pretty good results. Keep moving forward smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Bummer Dude! At least you can fix that bug. A simple ball valve on your drain should do the trick.
I was never too confident in a siphon, although it has worked for you. Risk is too high for me.

As I said the siphon turned out to not be the problem.

Originally Posted By: JKB
Even though your Perch have XX eyes, you had some pretty good results. Keep moving forward smile

Yep!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/11 08:13 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Yeah but I'll be without an age class for 2010 which hurts my ability to harvest a new age class each year.

BTW at least one of the females had egg development as you can see here. She's an 8 inch fish.

Either she started eggs before I planted her this fall, or they do develop in warmer water, but perhaps not as well as they would in cold water. Or there are exceptions and the literature that says they can't or won't in warmer water is not correct.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If I am reading it correctly, you were able to grow a YP to 8" in less than a year? If so, that is impressive!

I've had sunfish produce eggs and successfully spawn in aquariums where water temps never dropped below 68 degrees. No change is photoperiod either... Not sure how they knew it was time to spawn? Somehow they did though.

K
K
sorry to hear cecil, i've been trying to follow your threads, i have 2 extremely small batches of fish i'm raising indoors.. your work has helped me quite a bit

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dang it Cecil, that's too bad. I've gravitated away from white zip ties - they don't seem to last as long as the black ones, and if used outside, they degrade very quickly.

Didn't you say you wanted to drain that tank and re-paint it? Now's the chance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Dang it Cecil, that's too bad. I've gravitated away from white zip ties - they don't seem to last as long as the black ones, and if used outside, they degrade very quickly.

Didn't you say you wanted to drain that tank and re-paint it? Now's the chance.

It was a black zip tie and it didn't break. It fooled me into thinking it locked securely (it did lock) but when I pulled on it after putting it back together it slipped apart. Probably from that country where there is little quality control if you know what I mean. I heard a high rise construction worker was killed by one of their bolts that snapped when he was tightening it. He fell to his death. All in the name of the more profits for the stock holders I guess.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: keith_rowan
sorry to hear cecil, i've been trying to follow your threads, i have 2 extremely small batches of fish i'm raising indoors.. your work has helped me quite a bit

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your system. As I've said before here I make every mistake once, which is my method of learning. grin Once I get all the bugs out I'm really a good teacher.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil don't you have another RAS, and how are things going with that?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Cecil don't you have another RAS, and how are things going with that?

The plan was to transfer the fish to that one once the tank was re-epoxied etc. Didn't happen even though it was epoxied beautifully. I now have two systems with no fish. The plan is to only use them in the winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images