Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (shores41, Donatello, Justin W, teehjaeh57, Theo Gallus, Sunil, FishinRod, New Guy, jludwig), 1,061 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Has anyone ever used this product? With shock surveys running into the hundreds of dollars I was wondering if this would allow me to get an overview of total numbers of large fish (LMB and Crappie) versus small fish (BG). I was thinking that it would also let me map the bottom of my .72 acre pond. All thoughts, opinions and conjecture welcomed. The item can be viewed here:

www.fish-finder-store.com and click on the Smartcast fish finder on the right.

PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Good for mapping but probably little use distinguishing large fish from medium and small sizes of fish. In fish sizes department it is not that sensitive separating medium sized vs lg fish. It would have to be calibrated and noted what size makes the symbol move up to the next larger size. Plus fish are continually moving around and getting any quantitative answer would be very difficult.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
G
I purchased one and have used it a couple of times. It works okay for mapping the depths, but I wouldn't recommend it for evaluating the fish population. I believe the depths are shown to the foot and not to the tenth or hundredth of feet.

The only complaint I have is the range. It seems to not work when the remote transducer is more than 30' (10 yards) or so from the wrist receiver. I understand the models other than the wrist band type allow for a little more range reception.

Hope this helps.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Randy, If you would like to get an estimate of how many adult fish you have in your pond you could do a couple of things to get a rough estimate. Depending on the depth and width of your pond you could run a large seine through it. The other option you could try is buying a t-anchor tagging gun. I bought a gun and 100 tags for about $60. You could get a rough mark-recapture population estimate this way. Tag "x" amount of fish and either buy numbered tags or try and number your own with a sharpie (which will eventually get covered with algae) and keep track of how many you've tagged, how many you're catching that are not tagged and how many times you're catching tagged fish. It's a pretty interesting way to keep up with your population. You'll be amazed at how many times you'll catch certain fish. It's also a great way to keep up with growth rates if you have known weights and lengths of a particular fish. It's been about 3 years and we still catch tagged fish. I'm sure not all fish are retaining their tags, but enough should make it through a few months for you to see what's going on. Good luck.
Mike

B
B
There is no way to get a GOOD estimate on a fish population with even the most expensive fish locator. I am a tournament bass fisherman, have been for 21 years. Fish locators show objects below them. They can't tell if it's living or dead! I've witnessed the best, most expensive locators, show a fish on the screen, when in clear water, I knew it was a branch of a laydown. Locators are best used for locating structure, ie: ledges, brush piles, rocks. When you see a fish on your screen and your not familiar with the area you are fishing, at best, it's only 75% accurate.AT BEST.. Remember when they USED to sell a locator that marked different species of fish? Don't sell them anymore! BOGUS!!!!!

T
T
Brad,

Spot on !...T-fish myself for years and I agree with everything you say ! Great tool if used correctly, however they will not tell you what kind of fish, nor how many in a given body of water...just what's below in a narrow cone and subsequent bottom footprint...also, the "footprint" will expand and contract as your water depth changes...again, agree wholeheartedly with you...

Torchy

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks fellas for stopping me from dropping $200 for something that wouldn't come close to what I was hoping to do. Which was look for a shortcut to finding out what I really have in my pond.
My issue is this. I bought this place with a 3/4 acre pond in Dec 2003. The lady told me there were bass, crappie, and bluegill in the pond. She did not lie to me. Because this was in my pre-pond boss days I had no idea what questions to ask so I didn't ask any of significance. She did say that 3 years ago a friend had caught a 10lber in the pond. First, I know now that a lot can happen in 3 years, even if she was telling the truth, which I have no way of determining.
I first started fishing the pond in Jan 04 on a 60 degree saturday and caught 4 or 5 bass (all in the 10-13 inch range and maybe a little skinny) and 1 nice size (10 or 12 inches)crappie and released all of them. I found Pond Boss and because I hadn't seen many BG (the ones I saw were 5 inches or less) and figured I was overstocked with predators so started taking out all crappie and, to date have taken out about a dozen bass from 10-14 inches. Then about a 10 days ago the bass and crappie completely stopped biting. In the last 3 days I have caught 2 crappie and a couple of bass. Fed the crappie to my dog and released the bass. My reasoning is fear. Fear that maybe i wasn't overstocked in predators after all. In addition to the lack of bite on LMB and crappie I have an abundance of small bg that don't seem to be getting thinned out by the predators.
I have 5 Navy buddies coming down this weekend and my original intention was to take out every LMB in the 10 - 15 inch range and all the crappie we catch,but now am wondering if I really have as many bass as I thought compared to the BG population. Still going to take out all crappie we catch.
I have about 18' visibility so the bottom of the food chain seems to be intact. I have also started hand feeding the BG. Would like to buy a feeder but can't bring myself to part with that much money as being a first time home-owner I don't really have it to spare.
Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post and I look forward to suggestions. Any questions I can answer I will be happy to do so.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Randy,
I'm sure someone else will help.
My suggestion:
First I would record each fish caught as to size, weight, time of day, bait/lure ect. See the next post by Greg Grimes Logbook/data sheet. E-mail the guys & get their templates.

You really need more info. to make a good decision.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Ric and everyone else for all the insight. I guess I am still trying to find an easier way! And there really isn't an easy answer to my dilemma. I think me and the fellas this weekend will play catch and release, except for the crappie and I will start a logbook. Looks like I will have to get a set of scales as well. "Nothing's ever easey"! And as I said before, I am torn between the facts that the bite dropped off and still all fish I am catching seem skinny. Just caught a 12 inch crappie that wouldn't go a pound, , maybe 3/4. But my Blue Heeler loved it. BTW, so far she has shown no ill effects from eating fish (from the lips to the tail) but does anyone know of any bad side effects? Bones, scales, etc having a harmful effect? And don't tell me she will start wanting to swim, cause I can't keep her out of the pond!!!
I used to try to keep her out when I was fishing but she has so much fun that I just have to let her go!!

R
OP Offline
R
And Ric,,, seriously, I appreciate your recognizing those Sailors, past and present with your PS.
I get a grin every time I read one of your posts since you changed the PS.

Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM