Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mom, ThePondDoctors, Hirsch56, KristofMI, DreamcatcherDB
17,566 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,385
Posts535,092
Members17,566
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,115
ewest 20,828
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,991
Who's Online Now
11 members (Hirsch56, nehunter, DreamcatcherDB, FireIsHot, dsquared, KristofMI, wbuffetjr, Theo Gallus, Snakebite, RStringer, RAH), 172 guests, and 129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,135
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,135
Rich, how far down do you have to drain the pond to repair the dam?
If your still gonna have 2 or 3 ft of water you could still stock minnows in the spring and add structure, fatheads and shiners are pretty tough.
Then when the pond is refilled you can decide if you want to stock the trout or wait longer.



Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 30
R
rt014 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 30
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Rich, how far down do you have to drain the pond to repair the dam?
If your still gonna have 2 or 3 ft of water you could still stock minnows in the spring and add structure, fatheads and shiners are pretty tough.
Then when the pond is refilled you can decide if you want to stock the trout or wait longer.


Good question....unfortunately another reason for draining the pond besides fixing the dam is to excavate more and bring the one end to the 6-9' avg depth (at least). Not sure I want to put the forage fish in until after all the heavy equipment work is done. If it was a simple matter of only draining and patching that would work...but with the digging I will still probably have to wait until after the repair is done and it begins to settle and refill again.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 37
P
Member
Offline
Member
P
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 37
I have a 1/2 acre pond in northern Michigan which we just finished fishing out our 200 rainbows stocked five years ago. These were all pellet fed at a moderate level and they augmented that with bugs. We had great fishing for 4 years with the last two yielding 5-9 pounders and up to 28" in length. Great fishing on a flyrod. We estimated we fished out approx 70% of the 200 with the other 30% lost to hawks, winter kill, old age etc. Overall a great experience. we are currently planning the next stocking cycle this spring.


1/2 acre pond in West Branch, MI. Already have stunted GSF, 5-9" YP, and plan to stock in late April: RBT, BT, HBG, SMB, FHM, and GSH
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,011
R
Lunker
Offline
Lunker
R
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,011
Pebaugh -

Would you be willing to share the size at initial stocking?
Did you pellet feed year round?

Thanks

- Russ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Building a bridge across my pond
by DreamcatcherDB - 01/20/22 08:35 AM
Heritage Property Ponds
by DreamcatcherDB - 01/20/22 07:55 AM
I finally got my small pond! It's just kinda big!!
by RStringer - 01/20/22 07:21 AM
Best food choice for yellow perch and RES
by jpsdad - 01/20/22 06:23 AM
New Pond-install a drain
by Heppy - 01/20/22 12:26 AM
catfish...do you?
by Sunil - 01/19/22 10:50 PM
How much spawning ground?
by esshup - 01/19/22 10:30 PM
Build a Dock on Ice?
by FishinRod - 01/19/22 09:00 PM
New Member here, Pond Management business owner
by FishinRod - 01/19/22 08:57 PM
New Pond Construction in Watkins Glen, NY
by ewest - 01/19/22 08:42 PM
Buying Floridas?
by ewest - 01/19/22 08:31 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Fry
Fry
by CityDad, January 20
Baldcypress
Baldcypress
by Stressless, January 11
Still active
Still active
by Shorty, December 15
Using FishMap
Using FishMap
by Stressless, December 9
Tilapia catching season
Tilapia catching season
by Quixotic, December 5
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
by Theo Gallus, November 29

� 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5