Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,017
Posts558,546
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, SetterGuy, 2blade, H20fwler, Dave Davidson1), 209 guests, and 120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I shared our new pond construction under the "building a dam" area of the forum, but had a question to ask. When building the dam the crew dug down through about 10 feet of good clay which they used for dam construction. They stopped using soil in one area about 200 feet from the dam because it was getting soggy and they knew they were getting into the "sugar sand". This is where the underground springs travel. that area seeped about a foot of water to the surface and is likley continuing to add a bit of water each day, althought negligible. Heres my question: I have read on this forum that springs stop flowing and in some cases can act as a drain once the water pressure above them grows. The pond is basically empty right now. Should I have them seal this area with a layer of clay or should I let the springs be exposed? There will be 20 feet of water over this area once the pond fills - so its now or never.

The pond builder is not alarmed nor concerned with the spring there - my fear is that the water will run under the dam from that point through an acquifer.

Last edited by Captain1; 10/26/10 09:21 AM.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would seal that area with at least 2' of good clay. No need to take the risk of a reversal of flow.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Unless the pressure in the spring is known to constantly push water HIGHER than your full-pool level, it will be a drain and needs to be sealed very well.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If the builder does'nt want to seal this area, have him sign a statement that he will guarantee that the pond will regularly (consistently) hold water to full capacity or to the overflow level. I had a contractor that said he stood behind his work when asked what if the pond leaked. The pond leaks and he says "see ya in court" he even came out once and dug looking for the leak. ? is how much do you want to spend on an attorney to fix a leak. If the spring acts as a drain, you'll have a ground water level pond, ask Essup about the headaches this brings. Unfortunately a farmers hand shake is not worth the muscle it takes to grip a jerks hand. For anyone in NE In or NW Ohio, the jerks name is Doug Wilson of Wilson excavating out of Edgertown, OH.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Seal it and seal it good!!!! I have spent 2.5 times the original construction price on my 5 year old pond trying to stop it from leaking. After biting the bullet and draining it we think the cause was a spring/creek that was never sealed thus allowing water to leave and the pond to level out at the groundwater level when summer hits.

My 2 cents is make the excavator seal it with AT LEAST 2' of clay mixed with bentonite in 6" lifts and compacted with a 12 ton sheepsfoot roller.

It's your pond and I would force the issue. It's not worth the risk. Believe me. Pay now-it' way cheaper!

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Mark Brown
Seal it and seal it good!!!! I have spent 2.5 times the original construction price on my 5 year old pond trying to stop it from leaking. After biting the bullet and draining it we think the cause was a spring/creek that was never sealed thus allowing water to leave and the pond to level out at the groundwater level when summer hits.

My 2 cents is make the excavator seal it with AT LEAST 2' of clay mixed with bentonite in 6" lifts and compacted with a 12 ton sheepsfoot roller.

It's your pond and I would force the issue. It's not worth the risk. Believe me. Pay now-it' way cheaper!

Amen!!! I've spent 4X+ on repairs over the original build costs!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
amen x2

Or you could use a synthetic liner depending on the size of the project and your bank account

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Seal it well. I now of another pondmeister besides myself that have ponds dug in sand (some sugar sand) and they fluctuate up to 6' in depth (so far this year). It'd impossible to get underwater plants to grow, and any structure placed in the upper 5' of water column becomes an eyesore when the water level drops.

Or, you could sink a well and pay a monthly electric bill that could run into the hundreds of dollars. I figure I need at least 50 GPM to bring the pond higher than it is right now. 30 GPM keeps the level where it's at, but I can't gain any depth.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks - This should be a very easy fix. The entire area is thick clay with the exception of the very bottom where they dug a bit deeper and hit a patch about one foot square of sugar sand where the springs appeared. There are many feet of clay in close proximity to this area. I'll have them push 2-3 feet of clay from the sides over a 20-30 foot wide area and put the issue to rest. I wouldn't be as concerned if it was a hundred yards upstream from the dam - but this is right below the dam and configured to be an efficient drain under the dam.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just make sure they pack it well, and have them monitor it for any seepage as long as they are on-site. If there is any seepage there, water can go out as well, and it will only get worse over time. Good news that there is a lot of clay available. I wish I had it here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I am not an expert by any means but I think with the spring or creek right at the dam I would key that sucker out deep and wide. Get an expert's opinion on that though.

I am deepenining a 1 ac pond that sits at the bottom of my big pond and installing an 80GPM effluent pump with a float switch to pump water 70' uphill into the big pond to help maintain it's level during dry months.

It seems my dam was built on springs so the little pond at the base of the big pond stays full regardless of weather. It is very confusing and frustrating. Take your time and try to get it right before it fills.

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Update: the contractor returned to the site and fixed my concern with the spring. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he dug out a slightly larger area where the spring was seeping through. He created a trench and placed a recirculating pump circulating the 8 inches of water that was in the bottom of that trough and added a ton and a half of betonite creating a thick oatmeal like consistency. He then put 2-3 feet of good clay over the top of it and compressed it with the bulldozer. I didn't think the betonite was necessary but he wanted to be sure I was pleased. He had noticed that I had put winter rye seed down on the dam and surrounding area that had not sprouted yet. He brought 100 pounds of additional seed to cover the areas that he disturbed with the dozer which I appreciated. I don't think we will have any seepage from this area now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
TadpolePalooza!
by H20fwler - 05/19/24 07:46 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 05/19/24 07:26 AM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 11:58 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?