Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,948
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (BCR Pond, Terry Battisti, Donatello, Amhano8r, GunBoss, Justin W, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, shores41, teehjaeh57), 1,257 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Cecil -
I saw that too. That's a heck of a deal for the right person.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just the tanks alone could be the list price!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

You cant be serious!

That is the worst Hack-n-Whack DIY job I have ever seen!

Did you see how dirty the culture tanks were? Not only the Dark Brown water with fish, but the caked on "stuff" (for a better word).

It would cost thousands to rip it out, move it, CLEAN IT, re-assemble it, disinfect it and get it operational.

I also seriously doubt that a clear and precise management plan for this system has been developed, AND IMPLEMENTED!

The greenhouse frame may have some value, and some of the components, but the rest of it is Junk!

I'll also bet that those fish taste like their living conditions without some serious purging sick

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's a lot of stuff there that looks like it's barely cobbled together.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup

OH, It is defiantly a home grown DIY that dont work!

Trust me!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

You cant be serious!

That is the worst Hack-n-Whack DIY job I have ever seen!

Did you see how dirty the culture tanks were? Not only the Dark Brown water with fish, but the caked on "stuff" (for a better word).

It would cost thousands to rip it out, move it, CLEAN IT, re-assemble it, disinfect it and get it operational.

I also seriously doubt that a clear and precise management plan for this system has been developed, AND IMPLEMENTED!

The greenhouse frame may have some value, and some of the components, but the rest of it is Junk!

I'll also bet that those fish taste like their living conditions without some serious purging sick

Whoops! All I saw was an outside picture. I didn't know there were other pictures! blush

Edit: I see the pictures now. Yuck!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/15/10 08:27 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Trust me!

Maybe that's why it's for sale! grin

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Trust me!

Maybe that's why it's for sale! grin

Yep!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
While I don't know about the $ the place looks like a 4 star hotel compared to some of the SE Asia tilapia production systems.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: ewest
While I don't know about the $ the place looks like a 4 star hotel compared to some of the SE Asia tilapia production systems.

Have you ever purchased Tilapia in a US store that was from Asia, I mean fillets that were processed and packaged under strict international laugh guidelines. And the Yuck Factor sick Topped them all.

I will never eat Tilapia again, unless I have some control over the water they came from.

That would be just icky.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I agree that a lot of the plumbing is poorly done, and it's a bit of a messy situation, but there's a lot of good equipment there. Rotating drum filters alone can cost upwards of $3k-5k each. The 12,000 gal clarifier is worth several thousand as well, assuming it is a quality one. And the fish tanks... trust me... they cost an arm and a leg new. Assuming the blowers have been reasonably maintained, they're worth a heap of money also.

This stuff might be dirty looking, but it's easy enough to clean up, and IF it is in good operational condition really is a steal at this price for the right person.

smile

Since I run a small hatchery, I shop for this kind of stuff from time to time. It would make the average person's jaw drop to see how expensive this type of aquaculture equipment really is.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest

Have you ever purchased Tilapia in a US store that was from Asia, I mean fillets that were processed and packaged under strict international laugh guidelines. And the Yuck Factor sick Topped them all.

I will never eat Tilapia again, unless I have some control over the water they came from.

That would be just icky.

Strict International Guidlines. Ha Ha! I'm with your JKB. It's that way with other animals too. Our producers here in the U.S. have to follow strict guidelines while overseas things that are imported don't. And add to that the importers have lower costs due to lower labor costs and it makes it hard for our American producers to compete, let alone one has to wonder about the safety of the imports. And don't forget currency manipulation on top of that.

I used to know a CEO of a domestic duck producing corporation. He told me how regulated they were but the ducks that were imported were not. I'm all for free trade but for God's sake make it at least fair and on a level playing field. And don't subject our citizens to produce that has had every antibiotic administered to it under the sun.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/16/10 08:33 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Weissguy
I agree that a lot of the plumbing is poorly done, and it's a bit of a messy situation, but there's a lot of good equipment there. Rotating drum filters alone can cost upwards of $3k-5k each. The 12,000 gal clarifier is worth several thousand as well, assuming it is a quality one. And the fish tanks... trust me... they cost an arm and a leg new. Assuming the blowers have been reasonably maintained, they're worth a heap of money also.

This stuff might be dirty looking, but it's easy enough to clean up, and IF it is in good operational condition really is a steal at this price for the right person.

smile

Since I run a small hatchery, I shop for this kind of stuff from time to time. It would make the average person's jaw drop to see how expensive this type of aquaculture equipment really is.

I've only been wrong once and that's when I thought I was wrong because JKB corrected me in this thread. Now I see I was not, as Weissguy came to my rescue and pointed out I was right! He He! grin grin grin

I will give ya JKB and Scot that the system looks dumpy for the most part but there are some good components there! wink I do wonder how much abuse the components took judging by the mess!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/16/10 08:47 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey Cecil,

I dont think anyone was right or wrong, we all just see things differently.

To me, it looks like it was not very well thought out, implemented and maintained, which in my book = a big mess.

Weissguy, on the other hand, sees potential for the right person, and I agree.

I also know how expensive this stuff is. Every time I quote a new machine to someone, sticker shock syndrome sets in. Hey, components are expensive, materials are expensive and labor isn't cheap either. And prices keep going up!

All of my aquaculture stuff I got, was from online auctions. I have been thinning things out for the past two years on ebay. I got one regenerative blower left (out of 11) and most of them were sold to fish farms. I still have a ways to go.

Anyway, I did not mean to sound so negative. But my first reaction was eek

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey Cecil,

I dont think anyone was right or wrong, we all just see things differently.

To me, it looks like it was not very well thought out, implemented and maintained, which in my book = a big mess.

Weissguy, on the other hand, sees potential for the right person, and I agree.

I also know how expensive this stuff is. Every time I quote a new machine to someone, sticker shock syndrome sets in. Hey, components are expensive, materials are expensive and labor isn't cheap either. And prices keep going up!

All of my aquaculture stuff I got, was from online auctions. I have been thinning things out for the past two years on ebay. I got one regenerative blower left (out of 11) and most of them were sold to fish farms. I still have a ways to go.

Anyway, I did not mean to sound so negative. But my first reaction was eek

I didn't take it that way JKB. No problem whatsoever. I thought I would have some fun with it though. grin I agree though some of that stuff looked like crap! Boy if some of these people tried their hand at less forgiving species such as Tilapia...

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/17/10 06:34 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree as well, while the components are worth the $$ as pieces/parts, the execution was slopply done.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Strict International Guidlines. Ha Ha! I'm with your JKB. It's that way with other animals too. Our producers here in the U.S. have to follow strict guidelines while overseas things that are imported don't. And add to that the importers have lower costs due to lower labor costs and it makes it hard for our American producers to compete, let alone one has to wonder about the safety of the imports. And don't forget currency manipulation on top of that.

I used to know a CEO of a domestic duck producing corporation. He told me how regulated they were but the ducks that were imported were not. I'm all for free trade but for God's sake make it at least fair and on a level playing field. And don't subject our citizens to produce that has had every antibiotic administered to it under the sun.

I'm with you 100% on this. Whenever I buy fish I look at the labeling and only buy from nations with relatively strict laws (which basically means US, Canada, Western Europe)

I strongly favor more nation-of-origin labeling on our foods, such as that required for catfish in several states: http://www.allbusiness.com/government/go...11389159-1.html

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: txelen

I'm with you 100% on this. Whenever I buy fish I look at the labeling and only buy from nations with relatively strict laws (which basically means US, Canada, Western Europe)

I strongly favor more nation-of-origin labeling on our foods, such as that required for catfish in several states: http://www.allbusiness.com/government/go...11389159-1.html

I like the Nation Of Origin labeling too, and could not agree more! But, I have seen Zander's, from Europe, being passed off as Lake Perch in the stores, and around here, in the Great Lakes States, Lake Perch means Yellow Perch!

I have seen YP farms from Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin go under due to the influx of intentionally mis-labeled imports, and that is just not right! There is a HUGE demand for YP, but these crooks tainted the market and the bottom dropped out.

Who knows when it may recover frown

OK, rant is over!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: txelen

I like the Nation Of Origin labeling too, and could not agree more! But, I have seen Zander's, from Europe, being passed off as Lake Perch in the stores, and around here, in the Great Lakes States, Lake Perch means Yellow Perch!

I have seen YP farms from Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin go under due to the influx of intentionally mis-labeled imports, and that is just not right! There is a HUGE demand for YP, but these crooks tainted the market and the bottom dropped out.

Who knows when it may recover frown

OK, rant is over!

So true but many of these perch farms were RAS and they couldn't even break even after initial capital and utilities expenses. And when the commercial Great Lakes catch has a good year and the price comes down it's hard to compete.

We had two U of Wisconsin Yellow Perch researchers at our state aquaculture meeting one year and at the time not one RAS perch producer anywhere in the U.S. was making money!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/17/10 06:41 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Can anybody help me identify these?
by Amhano8r - 04/19/24 02:45 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM